Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > EnRoute Berg

Notices

Thread: New gearbox and gear options

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 02:56 PM   #81
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Default Re: New gearbox and gear options

Alright. There was a bit of dragging the feet but things look like they are in motion.

I was told I should expect the adapters this coming Monday and the price should be about $3 ea, needing 1pc for each small gear you want to adapt. You will also need new bearings (I will go over this later). I am thinking I will put a "kit" together and sell the bearings and adapters for $11. That will do 1 3rd gear and 1 2nd gear. IMO, you would need all new bearings for the MT cases, is this something that you guys would like to see in the kit?

In summary:
I could do all brand new bearings and the 2 adapters for about $16.
I could do just the necessary replacement bearings and 2 adapters for about $11.

Also, I had it brought to my attention that they are wanting to charge $50 to ship these parts over seas. If any of you guys want some without the expensive shipping I could stock these. Even for the domestic guys, I could stock these parts for 1 stop shopping. I just need to know if there is interest.

Edit:

I am out of tubes right now but the next batch is almost done so, all tubes bought from here out will have the bearing pocket that will fit the MT box and the Berg box
Erik D_lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2013, 03:05 PM   #82
RCC Addict

I say a kit with all the bearings needed! It's really not that much more!
Tgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:19 PM   #83
RCC Addict

Id say a kit with all the bearings as well. Well worth the extra money to not have to source the bearings. I was looking for a parts list/manual for the MT online, to find the bearing sizes without any luck anyhow.

I was just about to pm about the tubes anyway. Would it be possible to buy just the rear tubes?
How hard would it be for those of us with just a drill and dremel to mod the 4th gear?
Beest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:26 PM   #84
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgreer View Post
I say a kit with all the bearings needed! It's really not that much more!
Thats what I say. I dont want to force anybody into paying more though.

Speak up if $5 matters to you. I suppose I could always carry the two options....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgreer
I want to do just the rear axle for now, so I need you to modify my tubes and I guess I need some new bearings for the berg locker? My plan is to run all plastic gears in the rear and the metal MT small gears with the rcbros locker. So, just let me know what you need money wise for bearings and tube machineing!

I think can modify the plastic fourth with a dremmel, unless you think it's a bad idea!
I hope you dont mind me posting this, I think it maybe in the best interest if we can keep everything in here rather than PM. I end up answering the same questions 10x.

Here is the response to your PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik D_lux
You could try and do the 4th yourself. You never know until somebody tries it. The only issues is that if its not perfectly flat for the locker to sit in, the gear will wobble causing binding or lack of gear engagement. For $3.60, I would try it just to see what happens and then plan on having me do it if it fails.

To run plastic gears and a MT case you will need:
4th gear machined
Tubes bearing pocket machined
Tubes notched and drilled for MT bolt pattern.

No bearings needed to be switched out for the Berg locker. They are the same between Berg and MT.

$10 for the tube machining, $10 for 4th machining. $15 if you do them both at the same time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beest View Post
Id say a kit with all the bearings as well. Well worth the extra money to not have to source the bearings. I was looking for a parts list/manual for the MT online, to find the bearing sizes without any luck anyhow.

I was just about to pm about the tubes anyway. Would it be possible to buy just the rear tubes?
How hard would it be for those of us with just a drill and dremel to mod the 4th gear?
Rear tubes are already avail on my website separate.

See above for my response on the 4th gear.

Last edited by Erik D_lux; 01-28-2013 at 03:30 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:01 PM   #85
RCC Addict

Don't mind the post at all! You brought up a good point about the 4th, there's no point in milling the metal fourth since its so heavy! I think if you just reduce the width of the peice that attaches to the case, then that should do it on aligning the upper link mount!
Old 01-28-2013, 08:58 PM   #86
Quarry Creeper

Awesome Erik! I personally think there should be 4 total options. Conversion bearings and adapter for all berg gears, all bearings and adapters for all berg gears, conversion bearings and adapters for mt large gears and berg small gears, all bearings and adapters for mt large gears and berg small gears.
Nimyad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:12 PM   #87
I wanna be Dave

Yep. I would say the bearings and adapters sold together.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:10 AM   #88
RCC Addict

X3 Eric, do you have the small mt gears? When I ordered the cases and plastic gears I was under the impression I could use my small Berg gears
Later,
Farmer
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:11 AM   #89
Rock Crawler

All this has me super excited as well!
Stick King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:22 AM   #90
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer View Post
X3 Eric, do you have the small mt gears? When I ordered the cases and plastic gears I was under the impression I could use my small Berg gears
Later,
Farmer
I believe the small delrin adapters he is making will fix that issue. Dont' quote me on that though.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:35 AM   #91
RCC Addict

Quote:
Later,
Farmer
You will have to drill out the gear holes for larger pins!
Old 01-29-2013, 01:11 PM   #92
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Quote:
Later,
Farmer
Man, I got to tell ya. The biggest issue with this option is how many possibilities there are and what you need to do to get there. There is going to be a learning curve for all of us.

I dont have any small gears. I contacted them and they said some were on the way and sitting in U.S. customs so they dont have a clue how much longer it will be.

You can use the Berg 3rd with the plastic gears but you will have to run the Berg 4th until you can get an MT small 3rd. As Tgreer said below, you will also need a bigger pin in the Berg 3rd. IMO, if running plastic, its just much easier to not mod the Berg stuff and run all MT stuff. However, 2.5mm pins in the Berg stuff is the only way to go anyway, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szczerba View Post
I believe the small delrin adapters he is making will fix that issue. Dont' quote me on that though.
7075 adapters, not delrin.

The adapters will make it so that you can run Berg small gears in the MT case. The problem he would face is that the MT 4th gear is 6mm vs Berg at 3.5mm. That means that the MT large 3rd will not be spaced far enough away from the MT 4th.

To fix this, you either run:
Berg 4th, Berg small 3rd (with bigger pin mod), MT large 3rd, MT style adapter

Berg 4th, MT 3rds

All MT gears with milled out MT 4th for a Berg locker. You always need a Berg locker no matter what.

I think thats confusing enough? So confusing that I am only 75% sure I am right.

Just refer back to this post and if youre running a different combo than what is listed in that post, let me know and I will try to help. Again, please post in this thread, not a PM so others can see the answer.

New gearbox and gear options
Old 01-29-2013, 02:30 PM   #93
RCC Addict

I could be wrong, but it looks like to me the best two options are run 100% berg gears with the MT case, or if the plastic gears hold up run all MT gears with a berg locker and MT case!
Old 01-30-2013, 12:13 AM   #94
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgreer View Post
I could be wrong, but it looks like to me the best two options are run 100% berg gears with the MT case, or if the plastic gears hold up run all MT gears with a berg locker and MT case!
Yep, thats the way I see it too.

All berg gears, all plastic or a combo of berg/plastic.

The best part is that if the plastic does not work, in theory it should not work starting at the final 4th gear and work its way back. By doing this, you could start running all plastic, then if that does not work, you will probably strip the 4th gear so just run Berg 4th with the rest plastic. If that does not work it will probably be the 3rd gear that strips, so, now Berg 4th and 3rd but plastic 2nd. If that does not work, back to all Berg
Old 01-30-2013, 06:45 AM   #95
RCC Addict

Nice work my friend, I will be in touch very soon Somewhat distracted with my daughters Wraith build right now Especially since she wants all the "Tough" parts
Later,
Farmer
Old 01-30-2013, 08:24 AM   #96
Quarry Creeper

Erik count me in for the hole package were you get everything in the kit, makes life easyer,thanks
jerrys800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:53 AM   #97
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Nice work my friend, I will be in touch very soon Somewhat distracted with my daughters Wraith build right now Especially since she wants all the "Tough" parts
Later,
Farmer
Dude If these plastic gears work for you, ill be sold on them... r u thinking 4s with these too?
GEARSCIENCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:42 AM   #98
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEARSCIENCE View Post
Dude If these plastic gears work for you, ill be sold on them... r u thinking 4s with these too?
Wouldn't do it any other way
Later,
Farmer
Old 01-31-2013, 11:15 AM   #99
I wanna be Dave

Just got all my parts in to try and contribute to the pile of knowledge on this. I have some idears rollin around. My complaint is that the locker is larger then even the axial drive tangs. So that will force some mods.... But I think I might order in some VP VVD's or RC4WD wraith XVD's to test a little on. I think the plastic gears will do fine actually. At least in the rear if youre nice. I may be making all delrin tubes for mine, pick up some D_Lux berg lower link mounts, and of couse the XR knucks/chubs.....

Stay tuned
Chris_The_Battery_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:21 PM   #100
Quarry Creeper

Just got a set of plastic gears in that mail today, only ended up using the large 2nd gear. The 4th gear wouldn't come off of the locker (they use some super thread locker) and the large 2nd gear is taller than the steel gear so it rubs the case and makes an awful noise. I'll report back after I do some bashing when my rigs finally done.
Nimyad is offline   Reply With Quote

New gearbox and gear options - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
spur gear options mudd_slinger Formula Offroad 2 01-16-2012 11:57 AM
Axial gearbox gear measures tarmo120 Axial SCX-10 0 08-31-2011 11:43 AM
Gear Options Harvo Axial XR10 26 02-16-2011 06:40 PM
gearbox options with little room (1.9) thecrusader General Crawlers 9 12-30-2010 12:11 AM
Top Gear Options nuke24 HPI Wheely King 4 11-23-2010 08:30 PM