Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > EnRoute Berg

Notices

Thread: 300? Berg or axial

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 09:39 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default 300? Berg or axial

I have vanquish berg high steer knuckles. Eventually want to get dlux tubes and 300's. Should i be looking to get the ones with axial stubs, and get new knuckles, or keep the knuckles i have and buy the 300's with berg stubs? Whats the benifit one over the other if any?
Constant Threat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2013, 01:36 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: 300? Berg or axial

Axial stubs are narrower offset than Berg, also if you plan on running Dlux tubes with the Axial offset you will have more options, as to which C-hub/Knuckle to use. For example Axial C-hubs/VP Zero Ackerman knucles for the AX10, or VP 8 degree C-hubs and knuckles for the AX10 if you want kingpin inclination.

Or you can also get VP 8* C-hubs with VP Wraith knuckles with 300 HDs for the most steering, but that cost a lot more!

Good luck with the truck man!
Waiting Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:29 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the input just what i was looking for. By the way, your alex grey profile pic is sweeet
Constant Threat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:12 PM   #4
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting Dragon View Post
Axial stubs are narrower offset than Berg, also if you plan on running Dlux tubes with the Axial offset you will have more options, as to which C-hub/Knuckle to use. For example Axial C-hubs/VP Zero Ackerman knucles for the AX10, or VP 8 degree C-hubs and knuckles for the AX10 if you want kingpin inclination.

Or you can also get VP 8* C-hubs with VP Wraith knuckles with 300 HDs for the most steering, but that cost a lot more!

Good luck with the truck man!
I have never studied or understood the difference in the 2 knuckles.

Here is what I do know:
Berg and AX10 knuckles will both fit on a Berg chub

Berg and AX10 knuckles will both fit on a AX10 chub

Berg knuckles only come in high clearance from VP. They used to come in zero ackerman from RCbros. I dont know if he is going to offer these anymore? If not, I dont know of a Berg knuckle that has zero ackerman geometry.

AX10 knuckles come in high clearance and zero ackerman.

You can use 8* with an Axial stub, I dont think you can with a Berg stub? Has anybody tried?

Berg and AX10 have different king pin bushing sizes.

Concerning my tubes, if you get AX10 diameter tubes, you can use an AX10 non 8* or a VP 8* chub. As said above, if you use an AX10 chub, you can use AX10 or Berg knuckles.

It appears that AX10 allows all options where as Berg does not allow 8* and unless you can find knuckles, no zero ackerman options.

Here is what I dont know:

You said in your quote that an AX10 stub/knuckle will make you narrower than a Berg stub/knuckle?

"Back in the day", people used to use an AX10 dog bone stub in a Berg knuckle. How come you cant use a AX10 300 stub in a Berg knuckle and a Berg 300 stub in an AX10 knuckle? Is the difference just in the offset and misaligns the CVD pin in the chub?

Is there a difference in bearing surfaces on the stub between a Berg and AX10?

Last edited by Erik D_lux; 01-28-2013 at 03:14 PM.
Erik D_lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:38 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik D_lux View Post
You can use 8* with an Axial stub, I dont think you can with a Berg stub? Has anybody tried?
You can, but the longer bearing race on the berg outers will really limit the steering.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:59 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik D_lux View Post
I have never studied or understood the difference in the 2 knuckles.

Here is what I do know:
Berg and AX10 knuckles will both fit on a Berg chub

Berg and AX10 knuckles will both fit on a AX10 chub

Berg knuckles only come in high clearance from VP. They used to come in zero ackerman from RCbros. I dont know if he is going to offer these anymore? If not, I dont know of a Berg knuckle that has zero ackerman geometry.

AX10 knuckles come in high clearance and zero ackerman.

Berg and AX10 have different king pin bushing sizes.

Concerning my tubes, if you get AX10 diameter tubes, you can use an AX10 non 8* or a VP 8* chub. As said above, if you use an AX10 chub, you can use AX10 or Berg knuckles.

It appears that AX10 allows all options where as Berg does not allow 8* and unless you can find knuckles, no zero ackerman options.

Here is what I dont know:

You said in your quote that an AX10 stub/knuckle will make you narrower than a Berg stub/knuckle?

"Back in the day", people used to use an AX10 dog bone stub in a Berg knuckle. How come you cant use a AX10 300 stub in a Berg knuckle and a Berg 300 stub in an AX10 knuckle? Is the difference just in the offset and misaligns the CVD pin in the chub?

Is there a difference in bearing surfaces on the stub between a Berg and AX10?
The difference is in fact in the stub, I do not own a set of berg offset 300's to measure the difference between the two.
The AX10 stub does offer more options, and narrower is actually not much. 3 1/2 years ago when 300 where the new must in Northern California, guys where running the AX10 stub with HPI Star plastic 2.2 narrowed wheels to allowed them to get their trucks under 10 5/8 inches outside to outside of tires.
Waiting Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote