Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > EnRoute Berg

Notices

Thread: **NEW** DLUX gearboxes and tubes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 12:09 AM   #1
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Default **NEW** DLUX gearboxes and tubes

Mods, can you please move this to the "Dlux" section?

I was figuring that I would have a hard time hiding these at the West Coast Shootout this coming weekend so I thought I might as well post up. I really should have waited a bit longer to post this up but, I couldnt be more excited about these.

These gear boxes are all that I have ever wanted and I cant believe they have come to a reality. I really dont know what I was thinking, for something that appears to be so simple, I have tons and tons and tons of time into these. I am still not 100% done, I need to do some tweaking on the front still. I had no idea how much work these would be and I understand why there are not more options out there.

Hopefully with Rcbros working on our lightweight gears and the addition of these gearboxes and tubes, we no longer need to rely on anything from Enroute . I am hoping between us two, we can provide a MUCH better product for close to the same price.

To preserve exclusivity of this product, I cannot post pics quite yet, sorry. If you want to be one of the first to see them, come out to the Shootout.

Time frame for release:
I have about 13hrs on my set so far. There are a couple more tweaks I want to do and then I will send some sets out for testing. I will let the testers pound on these good for 1-2 months and then then will be released as long as any and all issues can be resolved.

Price:
I dont know yet. Sorry. As said above, I am hoping RC bros and I can come in on our price for a gear box and gears in the ball park that buying Bergs cost now. Tubes will stay the same price as my other Berg tubes for the most part, maybe a touch more. I think these will be very affordable especially for what you will be getting.

Please, if you have a specific question about these, post in this thread rather than sending a PM. That way I dont answer the same question over and over.

I will have detailed pics up in the next couple of weeks along with the testers build threads. Big thanks to everybody for the continued support. There is no way I would have had the confidence to make these without it.
Erik D_lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2013, 12:11 AM   #2
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Default Re: **NEW** DLUX gearboxes and tubes

This post will be really loaded with info and pics. Sorry. I forgot to save another one.

General notes:

Unlike the Berg, there is no motor mount to mill down for weight loss and there is no moving the motor holes back. Everything is ready to go for you with adjustment for any pinion size you want.

Upper adjustable link mount is extremely easy to adjust from the outside of the gear box.

There are very few tapped holes. If you strip something its most likely a nut. Replace with a new nut and you’re living the high life.

All parts will be sold individually if you need to replace something.

Much narrower than a Berg. I have found this to be a MUCH bigger advantage than anticipated.

The tubes utilize the same lower link mounts as my Berg tubes do for the ultimate in adjustability.

Front gear box:

I kept this box pretty similar to a Berg box. I brought the gears down for a shorter profile, better center of gravity and I also made the box a touch longer. On my Berg boxes, with the motor moved back and up, the motor hung off the back and there was also a lot of wasted space/extra material below the motor. These boxes eliminate all the unnecessary material. If you have these your motor at the same height with these gear boxes vs. the Berg, you will have more clearance or you could lower the motor, lower your center of gravity and have the same amount of clearance.

I moved the motor back a hair further than the Berg would allow. This allows for an uncut tube in the front and also allows for an air gap between the servo and motor. Allowing both the motor and servo to have air flow should help extend both of their lives. Another benefit of not having to notch the tube is that you can put the servo anywhere your little heart desires. Clock it way, way back, clock it forward, put it EXACTLY where you want,... finally.

There is enough room to comfortably fit a 7980 with a 12t pinion.

With the servo being moved further back and no notch in the tube, this allows for fantastic drag link angles (for even more steering than we have now) and you can place the tie rod completely behind the axle tube for awesome approach angles.

Just like my Berg tubes, you can use AX10 chubs or XR10/Wraith diameter.

Axle is .200 narrower than a Berg from king pin to king pin. This will let you run a touch narrower while still being able to keep the perfect amount of scrub that a Berg has.

Front axle is able to use any axle shaft that a Berg can use from dog bones to 300 HD to Bully universals to 300 CVD's.

A battery mount is built right into the side of the gear case. No add ons needed.

Last but not least, 7.7oz with the heavier Bully knuckles and shafts. I am excited to see where the Axial version will sit. Take the weights with a grain of salt. Some parts have changed and those are 25mm long stainless screws that will all be replaced with lighter hardware.

Rear axle:

The motor and gears were moved to provide as much clearance as possible with the motor sitting as close to the tube as I could get. This will provide more clearance and a lower center of gravity.

Axle is .200 narrower than a stock Berg

The lockouts were made as small as possible for extreme weight loss and great gains in ground clearance

Dlux shafts are the only known shaft to work at this time, most likely the only shaft that I will make them for. When these go up for sale they will be sold with shafts and also the delrin hubs. This way you will have the lightest, most bling axle available.

Take the weights with a grain of salt. Some parts have changed and those are 25mm long stainless screws that will all be replaced with lighter hardware.

Last edited by Erik D_lux; 03-12-2013 at 11:54 AM.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:26 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Incredible news!
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:28 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvo View Post

Incredible news!

2 x
Subsonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:11 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

People are going to sh!t when they see these.

I've held the prototypes in my hand, and I have been waiting anxiously for you to release pics to the public.

I Can't wait to see them in action this week.
Chaotic Crawlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:12 AM   #6
RCC Addict

This maybe just might rekindle my comp flame! Subscribed!
klabeaume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:11 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Put my name on the top of the list I want a set PayPal ready
J-Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:41 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I'm sure these are gonna be NICE!

Go ahead and put MonsterGT at the top of the list too...he'll "have to have them"
ittybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:05 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Oh shit, I'm not done with my build yet and now this. F**kin hell, I should just hand my credit card over to you right now.

Are the new tube the same as your delrin ones, just different material?

Last edited by Jeepkid; 03-03-2013 at 06:08 AM.
Jeepkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:28 AM   #10
RCC Addict

They look so cool guys! But anything in carbon looks cool, right?!

Can't wait!
stubs179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:31 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik D_lux View Post
_

Front axle with lots of stainless screws. RTR at 7.5oz with lighter screws?

And that could lose an 1oz easy? By switching out the ends?
stubs179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:22 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Subscribed for more info. Glad at least a few vendors are helping us Berg guys again. Makes 2013 sound like a great year.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:48 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

More pics!!!! Man that is going to be sick!
glondark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:06 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Did I miss something
Later,
Farmer
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:34 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

subscribed .... cant wait till the end of this weekend to see pictures
mustangboy_347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:00 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Very nice.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:03 AM   #17
RcBros Hobbies

Nice job Erik
RcBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:33 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Long live the Berg!
the kil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:46 AM   #19
RCC Addict

Building up my Paypal now!
Tgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:44 PM   #20
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klabeaume View Post
This maybe just might rekindle my comp flame! Subscribed!
Man, I really hope so! I really hope these new axles get a lot of people rejuvenated. Seems like there has to be some new stuff every now and then or its too easy to lose interest.

Since the XR is gone and its hard for the newer guys to get in or basically just for a guy who wants a "kit" or "RTR" setup, I was considering doing just that, a kit or RTR axles are an entire RTR car. I was also thinking of doing this for the MT boxes. Then, you can have a super budget MT box but its strong and light, or you can roll the more bling Dlux box. If anybody would be interested in this service, be sure to speak up. It will most likely be done anyway so I am just throwing it out now.

I dont want these to intimidate the new guy or the guy who has zero interest in building a set of axles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepkid View Post
Oh shit, I'm not done with my build yet and now this. F**kin hell, I should just hand my credit card over to you right now.

Are the new tube the same as your delrin ones, just different material?
Yeah, it was super hard not building a set of MT axles and it was even harder to not tell you guys why I was not building a set.

The tubes are still Delrin just way different design, same shock mounts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubs179 View Post
And that could lose an 1oz easy? By switching out the ends?
Ya know, I didnt think of the XR10 outers etc being lighter, but yeah, those weights are with the Bully stuff. LW knuckles though, not cast in those pics so that is as light as I will be.

If somebody has a set of knuckles and shafts from an XR10, I would like to see how light these can get. Maybe you could lose another ounce if you ran XR10 shafts and XR10/Wraith chubs/knuckles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by glondark View Post
More pics!!!! Man that is going to be sick!
I am trying to stay away from the detailed pics for now. How about some very amateur, low quality, non edited videos?

Its a really hard sale for me to think that different axles can change a car so much. To me, if you have your link mounts in similar spots (like these are with a Berg) the car should act very similar. I did make some minor changes along with the axles but, my car is responding unbelievably. For the first time in I dont know how long, my car is out performing me. Its like I dont even have to put effort in, its just doing it by itself.

I went out to Wendover this past weekend and I ran all the hard lines I knew. Some I had never made before and I made them on the first try and could continually make them. Here is a video of an obstacle that "Gate" (Skaldiddog) found. I was the only one at BOTW to make it and thats just because I tried it close to 200x. This was the first obstacle I ran this past weekend. I was shocked when I pulled up to it and drove it the very first try. I then went up it another 5 times in a row without fail. I wanted to show off for the camera so I was going to drive it 2x in a row. LOL. I guess the camera makes me nervous. I still go up it 2x in the video and anybody who has tried this obstacle can vouch for how tough it is.

http://s180.beta.photobucket.com/use...305d1.mp4.html

**NEW** DLUX gearboxes and tubes - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
xr10 gearboxes iceman320 Axial XR10 31 04-11-2013 07:55 PM
is more gearboxes actually more reduction??? thecrusader Newbie General 2 03-09-2013 10:02 PM
Dlux Delrin Axle Tubes jdacus EnRoute Berg 11 11-15-2012 08:08 AM
gearboxes silver General Crawlers 4 12-05-2005 08:36 PM