Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > EnRoute Berg

Notices

Thread: Berg v3 thoughts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2013, 04:14 AM   #1

Default Berg v3 thoughts

Hey guys thinking of buying a berg v3 theye look quite impressive,what's the general consensus on this rig
hijakdgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2013, 08:35 AM   #2
Fifth dimension

Default Re: Berg v3 thoughts

Can only speak for myself but for the most part we run v1 axles. So many aftermarket parts go into these trucks that kits really arnt the smart buy. V1 cases and look at dlux, rcbros or a number of other quality vendors and fab guys on here would be your best bet.
Crawllife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:07 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Really take your time and read though the builds and see what others are doing. I would recommend V1 because of the after market support
Beerman Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:47 AM   #4

So is there a problem with v3 axles/housings? And is the chassis not ideal? Sorry for all the questions Iam just a newbie
Old 08-05-2013, 10:50 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hijakdgtr View Post
So is there a problem with v3 axles/housings? And is the chassis not ideal? Sorry for all the questions Iam just a newbie
There is nothing wrong with the v3. Just my opinion it doesn't have the upside that the v1 has because of after market support.
Beerman Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:01 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Before you jump in go to a few of your local comps and do plenty of reading. I think you will be regretful when you want to start doing upgrades and you realize that there is zero aftermarket support for v3s.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:46 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

I would have to agree with the support aspect. I found myself with V2 axles and there is pretty much nothing out there for aftermarket parts for it.

as others have said weight out all the options and make a decision based on your needs.
jaloos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:18 PM   #8

Yes I totally understand but do you think that aftermarket support will be avail later down the track or not really? Also I can buy a new new xr10 roller cheap would that be better?Iam not looking to upgrade too much stuff as I not really competing just scaling huge rocks and small cliff faces etc thanks so much for your input
Old 08-05-2013, 01:21 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

v3 perhaps dont need as much after market as v1?

v3 has kinda easy to build knuckle weight knuckles with high steer.

if you want light weight, lathe the gears and axels.
mill the gearbox or build a Cf

all above is done on v1 anyways

i really dont understand why you guys say that v3 is a bad buy.

perhaps the rtr chassie aint so cutting edge.

but v3 axels seems okay after some weight loss.

besides the cvds setscrew solution its kinda bulletproof.
nitrooxide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:00 PM   #10
Fifth dimension

It all depends on your goal as well. If comping is your goal. V1's are the only way to go. The v3 kit is just like any other kit. It's really never good enough for us right? Why limit yourself from the door? I always have to think about this forum before I buy something. Have I seen alot of v3 build threads? If not, there are probably alot of reasons why.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:17 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawllife View Post
It all depends on your goal as well. If comping is your goal. V1's are the only way to go. The v3 kit is just like any other kit. It's really never good enough for us right? Why limit yourself from the door? I always have to think about this forum before I buy something. Have I seen alot of v3 build threads? If not, there are probably alot of reasons why.
ur talking in a buy the best thing to win mode? well okay no aftermarket for v3 yet.

look at it this way, was it a lot of things for v1 when they hit the market?

all it takes is for one of these geniuses like d-lux to start fab.

and if you compare v1 stock vs v3 stock, my opinion is that v3 is better.

i am atm building a v3 comp truck far from lightest or best but i fab mill and lathe the axels to my liking.

build thread will come later on.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:36 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

I personally like the V2 axles I have. I like the straight through axle, means no locker and the associated slop that comes with it.I also like the fact that there is no need for rear lockouts on the axle.

They are slightly heavier than I would like but compared to the Bully axles these things are feather weights.

Sooner or later there will be aftermarket support for them I am sure.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:48 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaloos View Post
I personally like the V2 axles I have. I like the straight through axle, means no locker and the associated slop that comes with it.I also like the fact that there is no need for rear lockouts on the axle.

They are slightly heavier than I would like but compared to the Bully axles these things are feather weights.

Sooner or later there will be aftermarket support for them I am sure.

V3 have the same solution, straight through, pin lock for gears.
the old version of v3s front axel has a flaw. imo.
you set screw x2 the cvd on the axel but its only a small area to grab on.
drill a small hole so the set screws can dig in more and grab the axel better.

they have solved the problem with the new axel with a hole for the set screws
Old 08-06-2013, 02:55 AM   #14
Fifth dimension

Your determination has me watching for sure. I don't log onto this forum to argue. I see and hear enough of that through out the course of my day. If the words "winning "or even "competing" don't find themselves on a short list when you think of crawling then more power to you. Personally, when I build ( or ask Erik to), I'm not thinking " how do I take a machine that no one has compt'd with and give it the college try". I'm a bit more towards " that 3rd from last weekend is really burning my ass". You can't fault me for thinking a large majority of the forums users are on the same page. Especially when not one of us can leave out how they faired in the past weekends comp when they post. I'm glad you recognize that guys like dlux play such a large part in our sport. He happens to be the guy I trust with my truck. That's why when he decided to create his own axles ( a trying process I'm sure) instead of coming up with all the fixes for the newer berg stuff, it spoke volumes to me. I'm far from a smart guy. More like a smart ass. However when someone chooses to start from scratch over fabbing fixes, I have to assume its for really good reason. That's all. I hope you the best in your venture to improve apon the v3. I'm sure it will be worth a watch!
Old 08-06-2013, 05:21 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawllife View Post
Your determination has me watching for sure. I don't log onto this forum to argue. I see and hear enough of that through out the course of my day. If the words "winning "or even "competing" don't find themselves on a short list when you think of crawling then more power to you. Personally, when I build ( or ask Erik to), I'm not thinking " how do I take a machine that no one has compt'd with and give it the college try". I'm a bit more towards " that 3rd from last weekend is really burning my ass". You can't fault me for thinking a large majority of the forums users are on the same page. Especially when not one of us can leave out how they faired in the past weekends comp when they post. I'm glad you recognize that guys like dlux play such a large part in our sport. He happens to be the guy I trust with my truck. That's why when he decided to create his own axles ( a trying process I'm sure) instead of coming up with all the fixes for the newer berg stuff, it spoke volumes to me. I'm far from a smart guy. More like a smart ass. However when someone chooses to start from scratch over fabbing fixes, I have to assume its for really good reason. That's all. I hope you the best in your venture to improve apon the v3. I'm sure it will be worth a watch!
I can agree with the majority of what you say provided you have the opportunity to go to comps and the endless supply of cash that serious comping entails.

For a guy like myself who would need to drive for 6 or 7 hours to go comp my rigs it really isn't feasible nor required that I spend 600 dollars on a set of Dlux axles. It really makes no sense. I mean sure it would be great to have the best of the best of everything but in the long run who am I really impressing? The other 2 guys I mess around with on the rocks or myself? I have seen enough posts where people with full on comp rigs have tried a mostly stock rig and the differences were in their own words not that big and even question the amounts they spend on their own rigs.

I am sure there are tons of people who fall into this situation and that I am not the only one. Ultimately we all got into this hobby for fun and emptying my wallet on a continuous basis in the pursuit of the best-est toys soon not only becomes tiring to ones self but also ends up alienating those few that you play with so you wind up alone on the rocks with your 1200 dollar toy.

If you can and want to comp then by all means do what is necessary in your own opinion to win, dam the costs. I have nothing against this and I would also be doing it if their was a need for it. It all boils down to your own situations.

sorry for the long winded brain fart but it seems that everything on this site is so geared to comping and the endless dropping of cash into the equipment that it seems the original intent of having fun has gotten lost somewhere.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:26 AM   #16
Fifth dimension

It wouldn't be fair or kind for me to rebut with how many good guys I have to wheel with or my financial situation. I am indeed blessed. I'm just not so sure you were looking for our " thoughts" as the title stated. I'm going to guess that you knew your financial situation, how few comps you had to attend and how few guys with interest in our sport you knew and had before you started typing right? Also with having that number of around 700$ ish you also new the aprox amount that it takes to get a set of axles to a " comp standard" providing you buy all new. These things that appear to be true lead me to believe you were looking for something other than " thoughts". If you would have started your thread with key words like " never comping" or " low budget" then you wouldnt have not gotten the responses you did. You would have gotten support for the direction YOU wanted or needed to go. Instead our community was asked for " thoughts" and as you stated, we do seem to be a bit competitive. I do also reference it as " a sport". Just like the rest of my club. Unless everyone chimed In with how much they disliked the competive nature or the financial burden, I'm not so sure you were ever going to be happy with the out come of this thread. A number of posts later and now being armed with the info that is needed to chime in, I believe the v3 kit is right up your alley. As I mentioned in my previous post, and this will be my last in this thread, I hope you are successful in making something of that kit! I truly hope it makes you happy and gives you a new found love for crawling!
Old 08-06-2013, 07:14 AM   #17

I can get my hands on a near new stock xr10 roller would this be better?
Old 08-06-2013, 07:51 AM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaloos View Post
I can agree with the majority of what you say provided you have the opportunity to go to comps and the endless supply of cash that serious comping entails.

For a guy like myself who would need to drive for 6 or 7 hours to go comp my rigs it really isn't feasible nor required that I spend 600 dollars on a set of Dlux axles. It really makes no sense. I mean sure it would be great to have the best of the best of everything but in the long run who am I really impressing? The other 2 guys I mess around with on the rocks or myself? I have seen enough posts where people with full on comp rigs have tried a mostly stock rig and the differences were in their own words not that big and even question the amounts they spend on their own rigs.

I am sure there are tons of people who fall into this situation and that I am not the only one. Ultimately we all got into this hobby for fun and emptying my wallet on a continuous basis in the pursuit of the best-est toys soon not only becomes tiring to ones self but also ends up alienating those few that you play with so you wind up alone on the rocks with your 1200 dollar toy.

If you can and want to comp then by all means do what is necessary in your own opinion to win, dam the costs. I have nothing against this and I would also be doing it if their was a need for it. It all boils down to your own situations.

sorry for the long winded brain fart but it seems that everything on this site is so geared to comping and the endless dropping of cash into the equipment that it seems the original intent of having fun has gotten lost somewhere.
Have you ruled out the bully? For what you are looking for I would think it is a better option. If you decide you want to upgrade the axle down the road they are a much better platform to build off of. Dlux can make anything for them.

No matter what axle you go with you will need all electronics.
stubs179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:55 AM   #19

So either a bully comp or xr10 ......
Old 08-06-2013, 10:08 AM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hijakdgtr View Post
So either a bully comp or xr10 ......
Sorry this thread got hijacked from you. if you are just fun crawling then anything you buy you'll be happy. However of you ever decide to comp and really catch the bug, you'll want to pick axles with aftermarket and improvement possibilities. With xr you'll want vp motor plates or bearing mod and maybe some steel gears. These will help strengthen axle. For Bully, i hear they are super strong but I have no experience with them.

These guys are right the guys on here support the crap out of v1 axles. Its what they have and the platform is obviously here to stay regardless on what en route decides to do.
Curcal is offline   Reply With Quote

Berg v3 thoughts - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Berg Tracer "thoughts"... vti-chris EnRoute Berg 1 07-09-2011 07:48 AM