Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > EnRoute Berg

Notices

Thread: My ULTRA Berg Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2013, 03:37 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default My ULTRA Berg Build

Ok, it's been four years since I've done any major crawling. 2009 was the last time I was competitive. Some personal matters got me out of it and kept me out for quite some time. But, I started getting the bug a few months back so joined RCC again and have been debating what to do to get back into it.

Well, things have changed quite a bit in four years, seems like 'light is right' and there have been many improvements to the components and lots more Vendors . Trolled around looking for a chassis, motors, etc. etc. and made some decisions.

I wasn't going to do a build thread at first but was convinced that the guys on here are so helpful and insightful that it'll probably benefit me to do it. So here goes.

After many PM's with Eric from Dlux inquiring about his parts a while back, he told me about a new chassis he was going to release, got some preview pics and decided it was the chassis for me. So I ordered his new ULTRA chassis, links, and also got some sweet Dlux beadlocks, front universal shafts, modded bully knuckles, along with several other goodies, so my first major decision was done, chassis chosen.

Next I had to get some new motors, so I went with the same brand I ran back since I started in 2007, Holmes Hobbies. A couple Torquemaster 540's 35T to start out should work for now. Can't go wrong with John's stuff.

For now all I have are stock berg axles, no work done to them, I know they're heavy, not clocked right, but later down the road I plan to get some Dlux tubes.

I'll be working this week to put everything together but for now here are the early pics of all the parts I've got. Waiting on some shock springs and a new Hitec 7950 servo at the moment.

Any input, help, suggestions, comments are welcome as it's going to be fun getting back into this hobby and competing with my old club I started - VARCOR.

Pics:
Attached Images

'04 Rubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2013, 03:54 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: My ULTRA Berg Build

Did you buy a brand new set of bergs Mark? Hope you have this built by next weekends comp.
ROWDY RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 03:58 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROWDY RACING View Post
Did you buy a brand new set of bergs Mark? Hope you have this built by next weekends comp.
No, those were new in the box since 2009, along with a crap load of stock spare parts which I'll probably never use now.

So do I!!
Old 09-27-2013, 04:08 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by '04 Rubicon View Post
No, those were new in the box since 2009, along with a crap load of stock spare parts which I'll probably never use now.

So do I!!
I thought they looked new compared to the ones you ran last comp. Looks like you have everything there, it's just turning screws from here.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:53 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Got the chassis assembled with links and shocks mounted. Went pretty smoothly. Gotta glue my links sliders down.
Attached Images

Old 09-28-2013, 09:03 AM   #6
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Nice!

Glad to see a build thread and a "fresh" face back in the game!
Erik D_lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 05:27 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Very cool... With a good chassis you can concentrate on driving more than having to build or design. I can't wait to see this rig in action. The 6th is coming fast. Get to work
KBrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 06:19 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Great start to a build thread. Looks like you've been pointed in the right direction and have picked up so.e quality stuff. Looking forward to seeing what you think about it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnb0221 View Post
Like the chassis Thinking about greeting one
DO IT!
ittybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 07:12 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Good to have you back Mark.
You were the man to beat when you left. I'm sure with this new rig you'll be right back at it in no time.
You are right about how things have changed. Not only the rigs but course design and driving strategy.
Look forward to seeing this next comp, so get to work!
Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 07:54 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Got the wheels together and some work done on the axles but ran into an issue. My front short shaft is bent just a bit and will not run straight. Hope to get that issue addressed. If it were not for that, I would have a roller at this point. I did get the rear done and connected to the chassis. Once I get a new short shaft I'll have it together and then it's just electronics and buttoning everything up.

Pics
Attached Images

Old 09-30-2013, 09:59 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Good news. I was able to get the short shaft straight....enough, by putting it in a vise, a little heat and a rubber mallet. It appears that it's going to work, I just hope the heat didn't weaken it.

Also, got the rig completely together and got it running, minus a servo and shock springs. However, I wasted 2 hours trying to get the mamba micro pro working. For some reason, no matter what I did, it wouldn't power the motors, I tried everything. Recalibrating didn't help, I validated it was set to brushed motor, etc, rebound the radio, checked the throttle trim, but nothing would make the motors work. So, I used what I had laying around, a mamba max and it worked fine. It's way too big though so I have a sidewinder micro coming this week. Alll my wiring looks pretty crappy and there is too much of it, I'll have to clean that up later.

I'm still using an old DX3 radio and I put in a punk dig I bought back in 2009 just before I left the game. I don't have 4 channel radio yet so I can't run dual esc's. I figure this setup will at least get me through the next comp this weekend. One of my next purchases will be a set of the smashed BR mini's from Holmes Hobbies, as he told me soon I can order them prewired and ready to go. Then I'll be getting a 4PL or new 4PLS. If anyone has a good used 4PL for not too much $, I may be interested.

I will post pics of the rig when i get home tonight.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:33 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Glad you got your shaft straight.
Old 10-05-2013, 04:14 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Comp in the am, this thing ready?
Old 10-05-2013, 04:37 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

What a week, between work, a death in the family, my dog having a stroke, I finally got the truck 100% finished. Had it almost done early in the week but had to wait on the sidewinder and some bearings for the knuckles which I didn't get until Friday. After rewiring it with the micro sidewinder and installing the bearings last night I took it out for some testing this afternoon and I really liked the way it was performing. However, I had a major failure less than 30 minutes into driving it. The long front axle shaft snapped at the tang when it got into a small bind. Looks like the weld broke.

What really sucks is that I have a comp tomorrow, so I have to rush and switch to the stock front shafts and locker tonight. Plus I won't be able to run my CF wheels up front because I need some SLW hubs which I don't have, I was running the Dlux delrin hubs that went with his shafts. I have some old aluminum wheels that I'll switch to. The steering was great with the Dlux shafts so I'm gonna lose some steering capability for sure. I was hoping to get some more practice to learn how this thing will handle but but at least I should be able to comp it.

I managed to get some cell phone pics on the rocks before it broke and I took a pic of the broken shaft.
Attached Images

Last edited by '04 Rubicon; 10-05-2013 at 04:44 PM. Reason: pics
Old 10-05-2013, 04:39 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Comp in the am, this thing ready?
I'll be there. I just hope it'll hold up through all the courses.
Old 10-05-2013, 04:51 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by '04 Rubicon View Post
I'll be there. I just hope it'll hold up through all the courses.
Cool, sucks about your luck with those axles, better to happen while practicing than in a comp though.

What spot are you at in those pics?
Old 10-05-2013, 04:54 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Did you put in some steering stops? The unis turn so far that the tire can catch the link or shock and bind causing the stress that can snap those. I was so happy with the steering that I had mine maxed out to begin with. The tire would catch the corner of the gear case and bind hard.

Truck is looking really good.
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 05:00 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
What spot are you at in those pics?
It's City Point Park where the James River meets the Appomattox river in Hopewell. Just a bunch of big rip rap rocks along the river edge that I use to practice on. It's just a few minutes from my house but there are only a few places a 2.2 can go because the gaps and holes are so big and wide.
Old 10-05-2013, 05:06 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvo View Post
Did you put in some steering stops? The unis turn so far that the tire can catch the link or shock and bind causing the stress that can snap those. I was so happy with the steering that I had mine maxed out to begin with. The tire would catch the corner of the gear case and bind hard.

Truck is looking really good.
I had the EPA's set so it wouldn't hit anything and from the testing I did get done I didn't notice that it could catch any parts. It turned so much better than any other truck I've had before, I definitely will want that steering back.

Thanks.
Old 10-05-2013, 05:57 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

It will fool you. Even though it isn't touching anything at your epa, when it drives against something it will bind on you because it can be pushed beyond your epas. If you don't make a stop, just be careful. Good luck with the comp. I love this chassis
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
berg, dlux, holmes, ultra

My ULTRA Berg Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Harley's Axial Wraith Build - Jimmy's 4x4 Ultra 4 KOH Style Harley Axial Wraith 2725 02-11-2020 07:19 AM
THE DOC'S RC4WD Scaler Build-off entry...ULTRA 4 ROCK BUG The Doc 2.2 Scale Rigs 257 11-15-2014 12:13 PM
JKOH Ultra 4 Build by CFM CarterFab 2.2 Scale Rigs 72 04-17-2014 10:27 PM
CreationFab Ultra-Lightweight XR Build Chris_The_Battery_Man Axial XR10 68 04-14-2013 11:21 PM
My Ultra Budget CC Build PoorBoyCrawler Duratrax Cliff Climber 15 11-19-2009 11:26 AM