Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > EnRoute Berg

Notices

Thread: Dravpnir's 2014 "Standard sized" Berg

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2014, 05:48 AM   #41
DravTech

Default Re: Dravpnir's 2014 "Standard sized" Berg

Perhaps I should clarify that I was in no way unhappy with the CCC axles or chassis. It will be a very long time until my driving skills are so good that it is the rig that sets the limits and not the clumpy idiot behind the transmitter

It is always fun to try new things and I have been drooling over the Superlites ever since Dlux released them. The recent price drop on them (Superlites are now about $100 cheaper than Bulldog axles with Ti rear driveshafts) and the option to get the middle sections in 7075 together with the combination that I would change the chassis anyway, made it hard for me to resist getting the Superlites.

Both the Superlites and Bulldog axles has their pro and cons, and both Dlux and Barry are really good and easy vendors to work with, so regardless what you prefer you will be happy with your choice.

Edit:

To make it more clear why I stated that the Superlites was $100 cheaper I made the following calculations

Superlites - Total $400
* Cases
* Tubes
* Rear shafts
* 2 RCBros lockers

Bulldog axles - Total $501
* cases - $249
* Tubes - $149
* CreeperBob Ti rear shafts $75
* 2 RCBros lockers - $28

Then there might be cheaper rear shafts but I picked the ones I knew and would buy (and which I actually bought to my Bulldog axles).

Last edited by Dravpnir; 11-03-2014 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Added some price info and clarification
Dravpnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2014, 06:23 AM   #42
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Looks great as usual!

Does that tie rod work well like that? The "intended" way is to flip it end to end.
Erik D_lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 06:28 AM   #43
DravTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik D_lux View Post
Looks great as usual!

Does that tie rod work well like that? The "intended" way is to flip it end to end.
Thanks

Well, it got some minor binding when turning left at extreme angles. A 1 mm spacer between the steering arm and rod end would remove that though.

I tried it the other way around, but did not get it to work as I wanted. I will check it out more next week now when I know the intended way
Old 11-02-2014, 05:32 AM   #44
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dravpnir View Post

]
That is one sexy axle! Very nice.
stubs179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 12:58 PM   #45
DravTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubs179 View Post
That is one sexy axle! Very nice.
Thanks

I had only a little time for this one lately and for a couple of days the first snow fell down so I guess I can take my time.

Got around and test mounted the wheels. I had to turn around the knuckle weight holders with the hubs I got. I also spaced out the weight holders 2.5 mm to get them as far out as possible in the wheels.

With the tires I plan to use next season and the hubs I got I end up at 10" in the front and slightly under 10" in the rear. A bit narrow, but I have heard that this width is doable with these axles so I will start out like this and see if it works for me.

I also received the first part of the chassis, a 3D printed skid with some special features

Also the CF parts have left the CNC milling company and are on their way by DHL, so I hope to receive them during next week

The holes in the reinforcements bars are for zip ties.

Electronics securely fastened. I need to get some longer zip ties so I don have to put 2 of them together to reach around the electronic package.

I also got home a red and orange skid too, but those are going to be shipped to Finland and the Netherlands next week.

Last edited by Dravpnir; 11-08-2014 at 02:15 PM.
Old 11-10-2014, 07:31 AM   #46
DravTech

Yay, the CF parts has arrived!

And I think I got enough "spares" to last a very long time...
Old 11-10-2014, 07:55 AM   #47
RCC Addict

Looking very nice there Tobias......
ClassiCutCustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 09:22 AM   #48
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dravpnir View Post
Edit:

To make it more clear why I stated that the Superlites was $100 cheaper I made the following calculations

Superlites - Total $400
* Cases
* Tubes
* Rear shafts
* 2 RCBros lockers

Bulldog axles - Total $501
* cases - $249
* Tubes - $149
* CreeperBob Ti rear shafts $75
* 2 RCBros lockers - $28

Then there might be cheaper rear shafts but I picked the ones I knew and would buy (and which I actually bought to my Bulldog axles).
Can this be clarified better?

Are the Rcbros lockers Needed for the CCC axles? So should they be added to the price?
As you stated. The CreeperBob axles aren't a Needed item either.. Should they be added to the price?

Are the Rcbros lockers a Needed item for the Dlux shafts?

EDIT: I only ask cause now I see a post by someone else in another thread with this info..

Last edited by winnerone23; 11-10-2014 at 09:25 AM.
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 10:17 AM   #49
DravTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnerone23 View Post
Can this be clarified better?
I can try...

Quote:
Are the Rcbros lockers Needed for the CCC axles? So should they be added to the price?
Well last time I checked my CCC axles they used Berg V1 gears, which requires a locker to connect the drive shafts to the 4th gear. I am sure one can modify the boxes to use Berg V2/3 gears that do not use a locker, but from what I have learnt people do not fancy this solution.

The Superlites comes with 2 aluminum lockers included in the $400. One could choose the original lockers instead but those are more expensive than the RCBros ones. So closest alternative I could think of was the RCBros locker.

Quote:
As you stated. The CreeperBob axles aren't a Needed item either.. Should they be added to the price?
I said that there might be cheaper rear drive shafts than the CreeperBob ones. I am pretty sure a pair of rear drive shafts are needed for a MOA axle but of course you could run 4WS but that would require many other more expensive parts.
The Superlites comes with aluminum rear shafts included in the $400. So the closest alternative with the same weight and strength I could think of was the CreeperBob Shafts.

To compare the price I added up parts to the CCC axles so the both alternatives had more or less the same parts with a corresponding performance.
Old 11-10-2014, 11:20 AM   #50
I wanna be Dave

I'm getting closer to understanding ur price on things then..
Ur adding in options that are similar..
(I can't figure if ur being a little funny in some of it tho)

The Rcbros lockers are not Needed with ccc axles tho. As the Rc4wd Berg gears come with one. Which you would have to remove to use the Rcbros locker..
So that's not a cost Needed for the CCC axles.
Which is awesome that the super lites come with them.. I think Dlux did a awesome job with the axles!

Then with the rears.. Barry has rear axle shafts to go with his axles.. There for, the ti axles aren't a Needed cost, just a option..

So while I'm now seeing ur side more clearly. The prices you posted where just misunderstood by me and how you came to them..

Very well clarified.. Thanks Tobias! :thumbsup:
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 11:34 AM   #51
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Man, those skids be sick! What a good idea!

I know those skids are going to slide well too since the centers on the super lites slide amazingly well.

Youre really doing a great job at leading the 3d printing revolution!
Erik D_lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 02:22 PM   #52
DravTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassiCutCustoms View Post
Looking very nice there Tobias......
Thanks

Quote:
(I can't figure if ur being a little funny in some of it tho)
I though it was kind of funny when you said the rear shafts and the lockers wasn't needed so I tried to be funny back. Well then I guess one cannot be great at everything

Quote:
The Rcbros lockers are not Needed with ccc axles tho. As the Rc4wd Berg gears come with one. Which you would have to remove to use the Rcbros locker..
So that's not a cost Needed for the CCC axles.
Well that depends of want you prefer. I prefer my drive train as light as possible and that makes RCBros lockers and LW gears a must for me.
RC4WD gears + locker weight 52g (accordingly to RC4WD website) and RCbros stuff + 2 stock small gears 28.8 g.
Also I noticed that the RC4WD gears was discontinued

Quote:
Then with the rears.. Barry has rear axle shafts to go with his axles.. There for, the ti axles aren't a Needed cost, just a option..
Ok, as I wrote above I choose the drive shaft I know about. At that time I did not know Barry offered any rear drive shafts. I still do not know any details of them.

So if one buy CCC gear boxes and tubes Barry includes a set of rear drive shafts for free?

Quote:
So while I'm now seeing ur side more clearly. The prices you posted where just misunderstood by me and how you came to them..

Very well clarified.. Thanks Tobias! :thumbsup:
No problem, it is not easy to make oneself understood on the internet sometimes... glad we could clear some things out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik D_lux View Post
Man, those skids be sick! What a good idea!

I know those skids are going to slide well too since the centers on the super lites slide amazingly well.

Youre really doing a great job at leading the 3d printing revolution!
Thanks

If you like those I think you will enjoy what I have in the works for my larger project

And perhaps it also could be good to clarify that, yes it is the NCD Sudu Pro that you see in the pictures and, yes I got permission from both Tomi and Douwe to manufacture them

Last edited by Dravpnir; 11-10-2014 at 02:24 PM.
Old 11-10-2014, 09:43 PM   #53
RCC Addict

You're killin it with all these parts Dravpnir! Excellent work as always, keep the innovations coming!
89redranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 01:34 PM   #54
DravTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89redranger View Post
You're killin it with all these parts Dravpnir! Excellent work as always, keep the innovations coming!
Thanks

I looted two other chassis to get some Magic Wands so I could assemble the chassis. Looks pretty good to me

I cannot complain about the weight of the chassis, especially considering the CF is 2 mm thick. If I replace the hardware with button head aluminum screws instead of the cap head ones and choose slightly shorter screws for the skid I should end up under 40 g

Old 11-12-2014, 07:35 AM   #55
RCC Addict

That is so freakin' light dude! Can't wait for my wands!
Zarizi Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 09:35 AM   #56
RCC Addict

Great job Tobias! Like Samu above can't wait to get my wands too!
mammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 12:40 PM   #57
RCC Addict

Dam That's one sexy chassis with those magic wands on it.
Wish they were all going to come like that

I know one day they will

Last edited by chevotafun; 11-13-2014 at 12:45 PM.
chevotafun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 01:25 PM   #58
I wanna be Dave

Great work, just wondering why it does not have another cross brace in the cab? When you put a roof panel on it, it will sit funny and not follow the roof line.
Jslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 11:33 PM   #59
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jslick View Post
Great work, just wondering why it does not have another cross brace in the cab? When you put a roof panel on it, it will sit funny and not follow the roof line.
On my SuDu, I don't have it either. You just have to make long enough roof panel, which is on top of the CF, then it's perfect.
Zarizi Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 02:59 AM   #60
DravTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarizi Tech View Post
That is so freakin' light dude! Can't wait for my wands!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mammoth View Post
Great job Tobias! Like Samu above can't wait to get my wands too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevotafun View Post
Dam That's one sexy chassis with those magic wands on it.
Wish they were all going to come like that

I know one day they will
Thanks guys

The production of Wands have been still for a while when I moved in and setup my new hobby room. But that is mostly done now so I hope to be able to start working on my waiting list.

My original plan was to offer the chassis with Magic Wands but when I started to calculate the number of Wands I had to make and the hours it would take me, I changed my mind quite quickly...
I have been looking a bit to find some company to make the aluminum parts for me as those are the most time consuming. So far however I have not found any supplier that could offer them to me at affordable cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jslick View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarizi Tech View Post
On my SuDu, I don't have it either. You just have to make long enough roof panel, which is on top of the CF, then it's perfect.
Well that is how the chassis was designed
You fasten the roof panel to the front roof spacer and then to the rearmost spacers between the cad and lower plates.

Here is some pictures from Zarizi Tech's thread (I hope you dont mind Samu)

Dravpnir's 2014 "Standard sized" Berg - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Wraith "Standard Issue UEP" Crash1388 Axial Wraith 105 06-29-2013 06:04 AM
Tekin standard OR "Pro" handwound crawler motors? jlanders001 Electronics 7 05-24-2011 08:52 PM