Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > EnRoute Berg

Notices

Thread: Dravpnir tries to build something even lighter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2014, 12:20 PM   #61
TSK
Shelf queen

Default Re: Dravpnir tries to build something even lighter

Great stuff going on in here. Keep up the good work Tobias
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-2014, 02:46 AM   #62
DravTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkaldidDog View Post
Lots of tasty goodness going on here.

J
Quote:
Originally Posted by maduff View Post

Nice job !

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSCorpionKing View Post
Great stuff going on in here. Keep up the good work Tobias
Thanks

Now I am waiting on parts so I can make the axle tubes. Hopefully I will get them next week. Then it is time to start working on the servo placement. I have a couple of ideas how to place it, but regardless the servo mount will be combined with one of the axle tube flanges. It is really funny to design parts the way you want and not have to worry if I can make it in my mill or not.

Edit: Axle tube parts has been shipped and will be here on tuesday

Last edited by Dravpnir; 06-06-2014 at 01:40 PM.
Dravpnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 02:05 PM   #63
DravTech

Got a wheel design idea today and just had to draw it up. If the volume calculations from Shapeways is correct each wheel will weight about 5.5 g in their strong and flexible nylon material.. if it holds up it will be awesome

The spokes are 2 mm in diameter and the wheel is 0.8" wide. Of course it is made for SLW style hubs.

Old 06-08-2014, 04:41 PM   #64
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dravpnir View Post
Got a wheel design idea today and just had to draw it up. If the volume calculations from Shapeways is correct each wheel will weight about 5.5 g in their strong and flexible nylon material.. if it holds up it will be awesome

The spokes are 2 mm in diameter and the wheel is 0.8" wide. Of course it is made for SLW style hubs.

I would run those wheels in a heart beat!!! Fabulous work man
Later,
Farmer
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 03:30 PM   #65
DravTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer View Post
I would run those wheels in a heart beat!!! Fabulous work man
Later,
Farmer
Thanks, then I know who to contact if I need a tester for them

While I wait on the parts for the axle tubes I made some 7075 aluminum tubes for the front axle tubes. In the rear I will use the thinner titanium tubes. First time I worked with 7075 Al and is was really nice

Old 06-09-2014, 10:34 PM   #66
Fifth dimension

I LOVE them. While i prefer bead locks for foam tuning, I'd be in on these!! Very very cool!!! Plus I'm sick of drooling over your parts on the screen. I've got to get some on my rigs. Great job as usual.
Crawllife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 01:35 AM   #67
DravTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawllife View Post
I LOVE them. While i prefer bead locks for foam tuning, I'd be in on these!! Very very cool!!! Plus I'm sick of drooling over your parts on the screen. I've got to get some on my rigs. Great job as usual.
I will order a pair of the wheels in my next Shapeways order to be used for the rear wheels on this project. If they feel ok and do not break during some testing I will start to offer them.
But, if all goes like I hope, the wheels will not be the only part you can get for a 2.2Pro rig

If someone has some wheel design they would like to be realised I always enjoy a modelling challenge
Old 06-10-2014, 08:31 AM   #68
Fifth dimension

I'm looking forward to seeing what happens bud. Have a great day!
Old 06-10-2014, 11:08 AM   #69
Rock Crawler

Quote:

Will you sell them in brown?

Just messing with you... Love your work!
I'm finding that 3d printing makes the design part more challenging because of what you can do wit it!
(And thanks to let me know about shapeways!)
xkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 03:39 PM   #70
DravTech

Quote:
I'm looking forward to seeing what happens bud. Have a great day!
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkill View Post
Will you sell them in brown?

Just messing with you... Love your work!
I'm finding that 3d printing makes the design part more challenging because of what you can do wit it!
(And thanks to let me know about shapeways!)
Haha, that was a good one

Never thought about a wooden wheel. Now I am almost sad that Shapeways do not offer brown color

I find 3D printing a relief! Finally your imagination is not hindered by what was machinable or not.

I did some small modifications on middle section of the gear boxes.

First, I increased the thickness where it will have most contact with the rocks. 1 mm less ground clearance, but a much tougher part. I also changed the design so the increased area also cover the sides of the G10 plates where they are as most exposed to the rocks.

I also added some commercial bling bling

Old 06-10-2014, 04:48 PM   #71
RCC Addict

Let me know I'm sure I can put them to the test, wouldn't mind changing up my cases in the near future also
Later,
Farmer
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:27 PM   #72
Fifth dimension

It's great to see all the " berg-ish" stuff coming out after having to read " berg is dead " in xr threads in my first year. I hope this trend continues! I do have some wheel design ideas I will PM you. I have some sketches laying around from a deal that fell through with a machinist. Could you just do faces so Dlux bead channels can be used? For me, it's still the best wheel system IMO. Perhaps once I've nailed foam tuning for all the tires, the glue ons won't bother me so much
Old 06-11-2014, 12:24 AM   #73
DravTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer View Post
Let me know I'm sure I can put them to the test, wouldn't mind changing up my cases in the near future also
Later,
Farmer
I will keep that in mind

Quote:
It's great to see all the " berg-ish" stuff coming out after having to read " berg is dead " in xr threads in my first year. I hope this trend continues! I do have some wheel design ideas I will PM you. I have some sketches laying around from a deal that fell through with a machinist. Could you just do faces so Dlux bead channels can be used? For me, it's still the best wheel system IMO. Perhaps once I've nailed foam tuning for all the tires, the glue ons won't bother me so much
My gear boxes even use the even "deader" Berg V3 gears rather than the more used V1 gears...
Send me a PM and we will see what will crawl out in the end. I have no machining capabilites regarding CF or G10, but I bet Dlux or some other vendor can step in in that case.
Old 06-11-2014, 03:52 PM   #74
Fifth dimension

Quote:
I will keep that in mind

My gear boxes even use the even "deader" Berg V3 gears rather than the more used V1 gears...
Send me a PM and we will see what will crawl out in the end. I have no machining capabilites regarding CF or G10, but I bet Dlux or some other vendor can step in in that case.
Vanity has always been my favorite sin. My innicials are D M. I'd love to get a set of wheels that are " D's" up front and " M's" out back. I think the M would be straight forward but the D doesn't seam to have a good look no matter how I draw it. Enough about my junk, I'm just grateful for the work that all the fabricators put in. There are only a few guys keeping our sport from extinction IMO. To list names would just be a fire starter. You all know who you are. Thank you!!
Old 06-18-2014, 01:10 PM   #75
DravTech

Started a little side project to these axles... you cannot have to many projects, right

It is not a Berg, but do not know where to place it so it will parasite on this thread.

I really like the NCD RC4WD transmission for the shafty, so why not use the same gears for a Berg-ish kind of gear box? The final gear requires some work to be useful but I think I got the rear one figured out today. The gear boxes will be really compact and by using a 6 or 7T pinion the gear ratio is around the same as a stock Berg.

Last edited by Dravpnir; 06-18-2014 at 01:12 PM.
Old 06-18-2014, 01:18 PM   #76
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Vanity has always been my favorite sin. My innicials are D M. I'd love to get a set of wheels that are " D's" up front and " M's" out back. I think the M would be straight forward but the D doesn't seam to have a good look no matter how I draw it. Enough about my junk, I'm just grateful for the work that all the fabricators put in. There are only a few guys keeping our sport from extinction IMO. To list names would just be a fire starter. You all know who you are. Thank you!!
Since Dravpnir can't, I can work with you on that. Send me a pm if you want.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 02:00 PM   #77
DravTech

Been modeling some rear gear box for the RC4WD R2 gears. I am thinking of one part in printed nylon and one CF plate. I got some more work to do. I think I atleast have to reinforce the bearing pockets among other things.

Of course I now realised that my spool will not work... but I got a new solution. Lathe time after work tomorrow

The printed side have the axle tube flange as a part of the gear box. For the CF side I will make a separate one of printed nylon or lathe aluminum.

To give a hint of how compact this gear box is I added a cylinder in the size of a "normal" 540 motor (36 mm diameter and 50 mm long).

Old 06-22-2014, 02:05 PM   #78
I wanna be Dave

Are the r2 gears redesigned? A lot of us had problems with them when they first came out.

Edit: I guess rigs were a lot heavier back then too.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 02:33 PM   #79
Rock Crawler

What about pinning the joints on those carbon/aluminum axle shafts to help keep the one from spinning in the other.
Wicked Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 06:01 PM   #80
Rock Crawler

On the box how can you adjust the pinion?
Is there something missing?

What program do you use for those models?
xkill is offline   Reply With Quote

Dravpnir tries to build something even lighter - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dravpnir tries to build something light Dravpnir EnRoute Berg 125 04-23-2014 06:01 AM
new lighter weight build evan03 2.2 Scale Rigs 1 10-23-2013 06:44 AM
On a lighter note.... F250 Chit Chat 3 02-20-2008 05:29 PM
which is lighter ballercrawler General Crawlers 2 08-02-2006 10:14 AM