Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > EnRoute Berg

Notices

Thread: Sessions YTC Dlux berg build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2014, 02:34 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Sessions YTC Dlux berg build

I am looking at getting back into crawling after a few years absence. I had a couple of snazzy AX10's back in the day just before the XR10's came out. I have thought about building a Berg based crawler for a while now but was a little intimidated until I got back on RCC and found out about some of the great things the venders are offering these days.

I am a middle aged guy who has no ambitions to be super competitive. My goals are to have fun maybe meet up with some peeps in the Vancouver WA/Portland OR area and spend crap loads of money on cool CNC'd metal and Carbon fiber parts I have some ideas on what I would like to do and with who's parts but nothing is carved in stone and I would be open to everyones opinions and advice. I am not sure if I want a complete Berg in a box from Dlux or Clasi or mix and match for something unique.

I will start off with a couple of general questions.

1. What the hell happened to comp crawling? It was huge 3-4 years ago but now seems to be a niche while scale is the new big thing. No offense to anyone into scale but I have watched a few videos and was board real quick.

2. Why are most peeps staying away from the V3 Berg? It actually looks well designed, very capable and the guys from Europe seem to like it quite a bit.

Last edited by Harley; 05-28-2014 at 12:43 PM. Reason: just because I can
Session is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2014, 03:24 PM   #2
2013 2.2P Nat. Champion

Default Re: The U help me pick build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by more_session_please View Post

1. What the hell happened to comp crawling? It was huge 3-4 years ago but now seems to be a niche while scale is the new big thing. No offense to anyone into scale but I have watched a few videos and was board real quick.

2. Why are most peeps staying away from the V3 Berg? It actually looks well designed, very capable and the guys from Europe seem to like it quite a bit.
1. There are entire threads discussing this topic here on RCC. Everyone has their opinion. "Scale crawling is not for everyone" is my mantra.

2. Berg = [factory] unsupported. Why go there when RCC vendors sell Berg-ish products that are 100x better and supported. Or, get a V3, build it and show us all how good it can be. Either way we all learn something. Looking forward to seeing your build. Good to have you on board.

J
SkaldidDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 04:08 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Thanks Dog, I had not come across those threads discussing what the declining interest in comp crawling was about. Imagine being in my shoes. I was around when the AX was big and the XR was becoming huge and then time warp to now when they both are no more and small vendors supporting berg style crawlers is all that is left, it is quite a

As for the V3 I was just wondering. It looks like a platform that vendors could work from just like they do with the V1 axle's. It has some hella good ground clearance and intriguing design but going that rout would be for someone more able to fab their own stuff tan I am.

I will post up my starting point ideas in a fresh post as I know that too much info per post makes most peeps heads hurt
Old 03-12-2014, 04:11 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I am looking at getting back into crawling after a few years absence. I had a couple of snazzy AX10's back in the day just before the XR10's came out. I have thought about building a Berg based crawler for a while now but was a little intimidated until I got back on RCC and found out about some of the great things the venders are offering these days.

I am a middle aged guy who has no ambitions to be super competitive. My goals are to have fun maybe meet up with some peeps in the Vancouver WA/Portland OR area and spend crap loads of money on cool CNC'd metal and Carbon fiber parts I have some ideas on what I would like to do and with who's parts but nothing is carved in stone and I would be open to everyones opinions and advice. I am not sure if I want a complete Berg in a box from Dlux or Clasi or mix and match for something unique.

I will start off with a couple of general questions.

Good to see you on the forum! We are having a comp this weekend east of Portland if you want to come check out some of our CNC'd money pits lol. Check out ORCRC.com/forum for details

Comp crawling has definitely drained down, especially in our area. Luckily there are lots of small business still keeping this hobby alive

The V3 berg axles look proprietary in my opinion... But just about any rig can become capable if you throw enough money at it lol
sourdojack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 04:13 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Thanks Dog, I had not come across those threads discussing what the declining interest in comp crawling was about. Imagine being in my shoes. I was around when the AX was big and the XR was becoming huge and then time warp to now when they both are no more and small vendors supporting berg style crawlers is all that is left, it is quite a

My 2 comp trucks are XR-10 and AX-10, so I wouldn't say they are "no more"

Best of all, they don't break! hahaha
sourdojack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 04:54 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdojack View Post
My 2 comp trucks are XR-10 and AX-10, so I wouldn't say they are "no more"

Best of all, they don't break! hahaha
I should have said that Axial does not make or support them anymore as I am sure that a few still exist in the wild My AX's broke all the time. You must have a special one

Thanks for the welcome and the invite. I should be able to make it and the weather looks like it will be good. I assume RCbro, Will I think is his name will be there as well. I would like to meet him as well as I plan on sending some money his way during this project.

Here are some of the parts/vendors I am considering.

Axles/cases. This is one that I am very unsure about. Full Dlux or Clasi with RCbros tubes. The Dlux setup is a easy choice but I really like not only the look of the aluminum tubes but the I guess you can call it the built in lockouts???

Gears/lockers. RCbros of course.

Chassis. I like both Dlux and Clasi's and can not see any difference in function by reading threads/posts. Are there any other choices anymore? ( I use to love the Viper 2 )

Links. I guess this would depend on who's chassis I get.

Knuckles. Dlux brass with holes?

Chubs. ????

Shocks. Dlux full treatment big bores? 30w to start?

Wheels. Nordic, 3 piece beadlock wheel structure #1. I like these but which width?

Tires. Voodoos? cut n shut? Sedona's?

Foams. CI of course but which ones?

Motors HH, but not sure which ones or what turns.

ESC's HH

BEC, CC of course.

Servo. HiTech, but which one?

Batteries. I need big help here. 1350-3S is what I use to run, but that would be considered big now days. What do people do these days?

This will be a start. Remember, I have nothing and am starting from complete scratch.

Last edited by THX_138; 03-22-2014 at 01:26 PM.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:07 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

You really need to make it out to the comp this weekend and look at the crawlers and talk with the guys. I would say all your questions will be answered in one day with us. I will let you drive my crawler around, I have a lot of the parts you're talking about. Give my build thread a once over, it will give you some good ideals.
Beerman Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 11:30 AM   #8
E.Y. Designs

Quote:
Chassis. I like both Dlux and Clasi's and can not see any difference in function by reading threads/posts. Are there any other choices anymore? ( I use to love the Viper 2 ) RCBros Executioner, Y-Town Double Agent, 5th Dimension Mark II, Crawlkeller Reptile, and a couple others.

Knuckles. Dlux brass with holes?

Chubs. ????

Shocks. Dlux full treatment big bores? 30w to start? Or SCX10 Shocks Eggressor Shock bodies machine pistons, etc.

Wheels. Nordic, 3 piece beadlock wheel structure #1. I like these but which width? Width Depends on tires you're using.

Tires. Voodoos

Servo. HiTech, but which one? 7950 or 7980. You could also try out the Protek 170t 630 oz/tq @.11 sec.

Batteries. I need big help here. 1350-3S is what I use to run, but that would be considered big now days. What do people do these days? 450mah is a fairly good size not too big but you can get at least one course in with them.
Here's some of the things I would recommend but like Jaybe said you would learn the most by just going out to the comp and checking the trucks out there
EverettY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 11:35 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Beerman,

I will definitely be there. I will have the wife with me and will hang out as long as she will let me

I have studied your thread as well as others and have learned quite a bit but am definitely at the point of needing guidance before making purchases. I learned the last time I built a crawler that, if you put trial and error together they spell EXPENSIVE!
Old 03-14-2014, 12:54 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Really glad to hear that you 're going to make the comp, you're going to have a great time
Beerman Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 02:20 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettY View Post
Here's some of the things I would recommend but like Jaybe said you would learn the most by just going out to the comp and checking the trucks out there
I found more info on some of the chassis you listed. I did not realize RCbro was selling his because I don't see them on his web site but it looks pretty cool and I suppose I will see a few on sunday. The Reptile looks great but I do not want to have to wait on spare parts to come from Europe not to mention the shipping costs. Ytown is nice as well.

I figured batteries in the 400-500 mah range were what peeps were using and for the servo I used HiTec's in the past and had no issues with them. I ran a off brand version of the 7955 in my last rig but can't remember the name.

Tire widh for stock Voodoo's is recommended at 1" I think but, would that change if I ever used your services?

I am getting excited to check out all the new stuff and peeps on sunday. The wife is not so much but I told her it is her duty to keep me company for the drive
Old 03-14-2014, 02:40 PM   #12
E.Y. Designs

Quote:
I found more info on some of the chassis you listed. I did not realize RCbro was selling his because I don't see them on his web site but it looks pretty cool and I suppose I will see a few on sunday. The Reptile looks great but I do not want to have to wait on spare parts to come from Europe not to mention the shipping costs. Ytown is nice as well.

I figured batteries in the 400-500 mah range were what peeps were using and for the servo I used HiTec's in the past and had no issues with them. I ran a off brand version of the 7955 in my last rig but can't remember the name.

Tire widh for stock Voodoo's is recommended at 1" I think but, would that change if I ever used your services?

I am getting excited to check out all the new stuff and peeps on sunday. The wife is not so much but I told her it is her duty to keep me company for the drive
Yes RCbros, Sourdojack, and Beerman Crawler all drive the Executioner chassis

Yeah 1" is good for stock VooDoo's but yes if you wanted some narrowed tires a .75" wheel would be good... You can always just change out spacers if you're using like CF wheels with spacers Wish I was going to be there on Sunday but my XR isn't running...
Old 03-15-2014, 06:27 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Whatever axle setup you go with, I would make sure you can run Dlux front shafts and knuckles. With his knuckles you get beefy wheels bearings, bearings for the kingpins (instead of bushings), they are adjustable from 8* to non-8*, and about the same coots as a knuckle/kuckle weight set-up. And his front shafts are pure beef and very affordable.
stubs179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 07:48 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Anyone know who's chassis this is? It is really cool looking.

[IMG][/IMG]

There also was a chassis that LaaLaa is/was running made by NCD the sudu one or something like that. is it or was it ever for sale? The pic's/videos in his thread not only look sweet but it is hella capable as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubs179 View Post
Whatever axle setup you go with, I would make sure you can run Dlux front shafts and knuckles. With his knuckles you get beefy wheels bearings, bearings for the kingpins (instead of bushings), they are adjustable from 8* to non-8*, and about the same coots as a knuckle/kuckle weight set-up. And his front shafts are pure beef and very affordable.
Thanks stubs, I was leaning that way for the reasons you stated. The beef, the bearings and adjustability are the shizz. What material combo would you do? All brass, brass lower with delrin or aluminum upper and then tune with slugs and rings on the lower half?

Last edited by THX_138; 03-22-2014 at 01:28 PM.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:17 AM   #15
RCC Addict

That's ytowns double agent
Curcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 08:26 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curcal View Post
That's ytowns double agent
Thanks, I like the roof line on it. I would be a great place for the logo/pic I am going to use. I really like the price as well. On Ytown's web site they have it on sale for $0.00 That will really help keep the build costs down

Last edited by Session; 03-15-2014 at 08:30 AM.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:01 AM   #17
E.Y. Designs

Quote:
There also was a chassis that LaaLaa is/was running made by NCD the sudu one or something like that. is it or was it ever for sale? The pic's/videos in his thread not only look sweet but it is hella capable as well.
That was the SuDu Pro It has never been put up for sale but you might be able to talk to Tomi about getting one... I've been running one for a year now and it's been running really well
Old 03-15-2014, 11:23 AM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
That was the SuDu Pro It has never been put up for sale but you might be able to talk to Tomi about getting one... I've been running one for a year now and it's been running really well
Thanks Everett, The SuDu and Double A do have some similar lines though it will be hard to beat the DA's price Kidding aside this is going to be a difficult choice with all of the fine chassis out there. They all will out preform my abilities for sure. I will ask Tomi if he is willing to sell me one when he comes back in April. I wanted a set of wheels from him anyway.

Does anyone have any concerns about getting parts from over seas? I don't mean trusting the vendor, I mean that if you break a crucial part it could take weeks to get not to mention high shipping costs. With wheels I would just order a couple of extra centers and rings but with a frame that might be a lot harder/more expensive.
Old 03-15-2014, 03:15 PM   #19
E.Y. Designs

Quote:
Thanks Everett, The SuDu and Double A do have some similar lines though it will be hard to beat the DA's price Kidding aside this is going to be a difficult choice with all of the fine chassis out there. They all will out preform my abilities for sure. I will ask Tomi if he is willing to sell me one when he comes back in April. I wanted a set of wheels from him anyway.

Does anyone have any concerns about getting parts from over seas? I don't mean trusting the vendor, I mean that if you break a crucial part it could take weeks to get not to mention high shipping costs. With wheels I would just order a couple of extra centers and rings but with a frame that might be a lot harder/more expensive.

I've had so many packages come from Tomi and the longest any of them ever took was about 1 1/2 weeks... Tomi always makes sure his designs are strong so you really shouldn't have issues with things breaking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-15-2014, 07:40 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
I've had so many packages come from Tomi and the longest any of them ever took was about 1 1/2 weeks... Tomi always makes sure his designs are strong so you really shouldn't have issues with things breaking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ok thanks.

I think I have made my first decision for the rig. I would like to get on your list for a set of narrowed Voodoos and the special foams to fit them. I will need your suggestions for what color the tires and foam setup as I have no clue and you already know the type of rock I will be dealing with. The only thing I know is I do not want them too soft. I was watching the videos in Laalaa's thread and he was doing amazing things without a lot of squish in his tires. Maybe a middle of the road setup to start until I learn what I like and don't like.

I also wanted to ask which wheel width I should start with for those tires. Tomi offers 22 and 26mm. I am assuming you take paypal? Let me know what I need to do to get on the list.

Sessions YTC Dlux berg build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dual Dingo build thread-My first build thread juswin24 Axial SCX-10 205 09-19-2013 12:42 PM
Pick-Up Build-Off minifaron 1.9 Scale Rigs 0 11-15-2009 09:22 AM
1.9 Scale Pick Up Build off! minifaron New Mexico 5 11-15-2009 09:14 AM
Which Truck Should I Pick To Build Ben's Madness Newbie General 15 07-13-2009 05:13 PM
Yep'er Another Merc build, Pick up that is... tjb 1.9 Scale Rigs 116 09-09-2008 03:52 AM