Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > EnRoute Berg

Notices

Thread: Berg v1 increase my steering angle help please!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2014, 09:57 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Berg v1 increase my steering angle help please!

Aside from spending monster money on special axles and new knuckles and tube machine work, is there any quick and easy simple upgrades to increase my steering angle and get some caster on my v1 berg? What are people doing? Don't say "use the search feature" because I have, for a good bit, and that is why I started this thread.

Can i get a set of vanquish knuckles and do some grinding on the outdrive shafts and get a good return on investment for my steering angle? Should I drill the gearbox to clock the axles a little for some caster?

Just a little help and advice would be appreciated. I did all the easy steps on my Bully and got a great return on my work, my berg still sucks on steering and caster though. I'd like some options and ideas for easy pickings' right now. I spent my budget on axles for the month already on a set of b2 axles, don't wanna spend $200 on my berg axles right now.

Thanks
Master Basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2014, 11:55 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Berg v1 increase my steering angle help please!

Are you running stock dog bones and cup type stubs??
picklewagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 12:06 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklewagon View Post
Are you running stock dog bones and cup type stubs??
yeah, right now. I can buy other stuff if necessary, but right now all I have figured out is how to spend $200+ dollars to get anywhere. I'd rather keep it down under a hundred and get some decent gains if possible. Do you know any reasonable options?
Old 04-05-2014, 12:11 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I just got these in a sweet deal, and I can use them if necessary, but I don't wanna spend $100 on some dlux knuckles and then another $40 on driveshafts just yet if there are less costly methods of getting a little more steering and caster.

If that is what I gotta do, then I can do it, but I was able to get great steering out of my bully with only a grinder and about an hour of my time. I was just wondering if I can get by cheaper on my berg too.

Last edited by Master Basher; 04-05-2014 at 12:17 PM.
Old 04-05-2014, 01:32 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

I think you shouldn't worry about it. You should just put it together and upgrade when you start breaking parts. Start small and build it up as you get some cash.
Old 04-05-2014, 04:25 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I think you shouldn't worry about it. You should just put it together and upgrade when you start breaking parts. Start small and build it up as you get some cash.
Dude the truck has been built for 6 years. I am not looking to have $200 more into a crawler for steering that already has $1000 + into it over six years time. I started this thread to ask for help regarding an issue that is not clear to me, even if I was to spend the big money on it. I appreciate your input, but im not interested in your opinion that "I shouldnt worry about it". Do you know how to have gains from minimal further expenditure? From what I already have? Then help me sort it out please.
Old 04-05-2014, 04:57 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Dude? Sorry, I guess I didn't understand your vague first post, I didn't know you had a working Berg already. I apologize for the miscommunication and wish you the best of luck with your steering predicament. You could have been a little more polite...

When I first bought a Berg, I ended up with stock dog bones and Vanquish AX10 high steer knuckles. It worked pretty well, but massive amounts of steering weren't anything people had figured out yet. If I remember correctly, I got a little more steering by slightly grinding the inboard edge of the stub axle cups. My steering was limited by the dog bone shaft coming in contact with the inner edge of the cup. It helped a little but the angle of the dog bone pin to the cup when full lock left or right sort of hung up on the slots that are cut into cup itself and makes the drive of the wheels klunk klunk klunk while trying to dig or turn sharply. The good news was when I did get super 300's, I changed the bearings sizes out of the Vanquish knuckles and the supers went right in them.

Last edited by picklewagon; 04-05-2014 at 05:46 PM.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:41 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:

When I first bought a Berg, I ended up with stock dog bones and Vanquish AX10 high steer knuckles. It worked pretty well, but massive amounts of steering weren't anything people had figured out yet. If I remember correctly, I got a little more steering by slightly grinding the inboard edge of the stub axle cups. My steering was limited by the dog bone shaft coming in contact with the inner edge of the cup. It helped a little but the angle of the dog bone pin to the cup when full lock left or right sort of hung up on the slots that are cut into cup itself and makes the drive of the wheels klunk klunk klunk while trying to dig or turn sharply. The good news was when I did get super 300's, I changed the bearings sizes out of the Vanquish knuckles and the supers went right in them.
yeah that's the kind of information that I was looking for. I'm not a big fan of the outdrives, they seem to break or bend every time my berg takes a tumble. I guess I'll try grinding on the dog bone a little, and then working on the cups. The steering pushes so bad and it's not very high angle to begin with, I'm just wondering what people have done to increase it besides spending $200+ dollars on parts. I wonder if it is smart to clock the tubes back a little by drilling new mounting holes in them to mount in the gear box so I can get a little bit of caster too?

thanks.
Old 04-05-2014, 09:12 PM   #9
RCC Addict

I have a used berg clocking jig I don't need. my axles came already clocked. send me a pm if you want it.

I too want to get more steering but like you say hard to find the right information and I want 4ws so buying 2 sets
of universals and knuckles looks like 450 to 500 bucks plus a lot of modifications.

good luck
cabron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:29 AM   #10
RCC Addict

You don't have to get a set of Dlux knuckles. You do have to get his axles if you want a lot of steering. You can use the tubes with Axial C's you have in the pic above. The Dlux shafts can use the V1 style bully knuckle to achieve an insaine amount of steering. Your bully steering won't even compare to the amout of steering this setup will give you. My severely modded bully was getting around 50* I think and this Dlux/bully knuckle setup gets around 70*.
stubs179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:37 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Axial C, Dlux shaft, V1 Bully knuckle.

You will just have to do a little dremeling to get the bully knuckle the clear the axial C. It's really easy. This is how we ran them before Erik came out with his knuckles.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:20 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

thanks a ton stubs. That solution has me only buying some shafts from eric, a $10 set of bully knuckles, and a new non 8* axial c hub. That will work for me. So I guess that shaft is just the wraith 70* shaft and I have to get my bearings sized correctly and I'm good to go. $70is + shipping on the axles, $15 shipped on the bully knuckles, and axial c hubs for $35 ish shipped.

Thanks again for making it clear stubs.

-or did I get that wrong, I just need bully knuckles and bully shafts both modified? I guess I'll take my bully and berg apart to see how interchangeable the axles are.

Last edited by Master Basher; 04-06-2014 at 10:26 AM.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:20 AM   #13
RCC Addict

These unis are far superior to wraith unis. I have the pictured set up on my berg right now. I couldn't be happier.
Curcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:16 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

So how about a picture carl?
Old 04-06-2014, 12:37 PM   #15
TSK
Shelf queen

Those are modded Ofna universals. Your best bet is to contact DLux and ask about his older Bully knuckle setup. He normally mods the Bully knuckle to accept 3 large bearings. The bully axle stub uses a different style hex so you'll need to account for those too.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 04:11 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Basher View Post
thanks a ton stubs. That solution has me only buying some shafts from eric, a $10 set of bully knuckles, and a new non 8* axial c hub. That will work for me. So I guess that shaft is just the wraith 70* shaft and I have to get my bearings sized correctly and I'm good to go. $70is + shipping on the axles, $15 shipped on the bully knuckles, and axial c hubs for $35 ish shipped.

Thanks again for making it clear stubs.

-or did I get that wrong, I just need bully knuckles and bully shafts both modified? I guess I'll take my bully and berg apart to see how interchangeable the axles are.
It's not a wraith it's ofna. Ofna is the same stub as the bully so you can use bully knuckles and hexes without having to get different bearings. I didn't look at the pic good, so yes you will have to get non 8* C's. So yes, C's, bully knuckles and Dlux shafts. You should be able to get C's and knuckles cheap in the wanted or forsale sections.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:27 PM   #17
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Option #1
Wraith knuckles $35
Dlux Wraith shafts $135
Bearings,hexs etc,. $10

$180

Option #2
Bully knuckles $15
AX10 chubs $35
Dlux OFNA shafts $115
Hexes, bearings etc,. $25

$190

Option #3
Dlux knuckles $100
Dlux OFNA shafts $115
Delrin hubs $14

$229

There are some choices for you.
Erik D_lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:29 PM   #18
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubs179 View Post
Ofna is the same stub as the bully so you can use bully knuckles and hexes without having to get different bearings.
I have found lots of different versions of the OFNA stub. The one I use is not the same as the Bully and in general, I would assume that all OFNA stubs are different just to be sure.

Keep in mind, with the Bully knuckles, they come with a 12mm bearing for the inner and outer. They are horrible on the front end. You will want bigger bearings in there.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:16 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Now I'm confused?
Old 04-06-2014, 10:23 PM   #20
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Does your super jog your memory?

Berg v1 increase my steering angle help please! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Steering angle BOB8789 Axial SCX-10 6 01-13-2012 10:55 PM
Steering Throw Increase? FireWire79 Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 3 03-22-2010 10:41 AM
Steering Angle HiloDB1 Kyosho Crawlers 1 11-26-2008 11:05 AM
Increase steering? How much? Natedog Tamiya TLT Crawlers 6 10-27-2007 10:52 PM
Steering angle NeoSlayer888 Tamiya TLT Crawlers 3 10-29-2005 07:21 PM