Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > EnRoute Berg

Notices

Thread: Day late and a dollar short!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2014, 08:11 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Day late and a dollar short!

Hey all. This is my first experience with an moa crawler, so any input/advice etc is is more than welcome. I have a 2.2s rig and would often run into 2.2p rigs at the local crawling hotspot. Did not take long for me to really start wanting an moa. Marshall, one of the guys with the 2.2p, was very generous in hooking me with his old parts. What I have is a Beetlejuice chassis but don't know what series. A Novak M2dig, stock berg tubes, shafts, VP knuckles, and some Sedonas. A very good start!

I already have an unhacked GT3B. Considering hacking it instead of buying something new since i am always on a tight budget. For those that have used this radio with this esc was it pretty user friendly or was it constantly a pain to operate the digs?

I need to source some gearboxes. I know that Mad Torque Gearboxes work. Wondering if the plastic gears will hold up or if metal gear upgrade is essential? I am expecting a 5.5lb rig with 35t motors and weighted wheels on 3s power. I know not ideal for plastic gears. Also any problems of upper link mount breaking the plastic case?

On to the pics!
Attached Images

Scocrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2014, 12:37 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Day late and a dollar short!

I ran the MT gear cases with berg gears and berg upper link mount. I had to drill a new hole for the upper link mount and get the gear adaptors from Dlux on my super and didn't have any problems. I would like the peace of mind in metal gears over plastic ones any day though.
tweak6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 08:46 AM   #3
2013 2.2P Nat. Champion

That looks like a reasonable old-school start. To answer all of your questions sort the Berg forum descending on views and read every page of the top 5 to 10 threads. When you're done with that most of your questions will be answered.

Welcome aboard!

J
SkaldidDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 09:15 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweak6 View Post
I ran the MT gear cases with berg gears and berg upper link mount. I had to drill a new hole for the upper link mount and get the gear adaptors from Dlux on my super and didn't have any problems. I would like the peace of mind in metal gears over plastic ones any day though.
Thanks for the info. I am with you on the metal gears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkaldidDog View Post
That looks like a reasonable old-school start. To answer all of your questions sort the Berg forum descending on views and read every page of the top 5 to 10 threads. When you're done with that most of your questions will be answered.

Welcome aboard!
J
Thanks! Yeah been reading up a lot the last couple days. So far I seem to have as many new questions as I have answered. And maybe the answer to questions I did know needed asking. Will continue doing my homework while I wait for funds/parts.

Last edited by Scocrawler; 07-31-2014 at 09:20 AM.
Old 08-02-2014, 07:30 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Hey fella, I am sure learning about the Berg is quite a lengthy process. I had to have one when the first "cheater trucks" came out. I think that was about 7 years ago and I have been playing with them in some form ever since. It is still the best option for a dependable crawler in my opinion and I have sold a bunch of complete kits in the last year of the modern "Berg". I am sure that if you ask around that you can piece together a great truck. As you probably know already, there are distinct eras that kinda just happened to work. There has been an evolution of certain parts that worked together and then when something better came along there was another group of parts. Just ask lots of questions and do some research and if I can help in any way just shout

**** ClassiCutCustoms.com. ****
ClassiCutCustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 10:42 AM   #6
RCC Addict

I was really confused for a second. I thought Sococrawler was back. Haha
stubs179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 07:30 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassiCutCustoms View Post
Hey fella, I am sure learning about the Berg is quite a lengthy process. I had to have one when the first "cheater trucks" came out. I think that was about 7 years ago and I have been playing with them in some form ever since. It is still the best option for a dependable crawler in my opinion and I have sold a bunch of complete kits in the last year of the modern "Berg". I am sure that if you ask around that you can piece together a great truck. As you probably know already, there are distinct eras that kinda just happened to work. There has been an evolution of certain parts that worked together and then when something better came along there was another group of parts. Just ask lots of questions and do some research and if I can help in any way just shout

**** ClassiCutCustoms.com. ****
Thanks! Not a bunch of help locally which is a drag. I have only come across 3 or 4 2.2p drivers in the couple years I have been crawling. Scale crowd is large here though. Our local club "SOCOCRAWLERS" gets together and runs a trail almost every Sunday. But only a few with either a 2.2s or 2.2p crawlers. So RCC as always is the place to info .

When it comes time I will steal the 7950 and the HH Torquemaster Expert plus whatever else I can from my shafty to get this up and running. Will be tough to strip down my baby, but I figure I can replace whatever I steal while I am testing and tuning this rig.

Gearboxes should be incoming soon.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:27 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Thanks to some help from Mr. Erik DLux I have some complete gearboxes coming soon. Might have a roller by the end of next weekend.!
Old 08-13-2014, 05:47 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Got a box of goodies in the mail the other day from Dlux. I decided on Mad Torque gearboxes, mt metal gears, Berg 4th gear, and RCbros lockers. I have stock berg tubes, shafts, chubs, knuckles. Front does have VP knuckles though. The stock tubes do require a little machining to work with the MT gearboxes. The recess in the tube for the Gearbox bearing needs to be about .030 of an inch larger in diameter and about .060 deeper. Dlux was more than willing to do the machine work. But since I am always broke I decided to try it myself. Went after itwith a dremmel! I know a machinist could do a much cleaner and better centering job, but I think this will be just fine.

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1407973515222.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  90.5 KBName:  uploadfromtaptalk1407973529079.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  56.3 KB
Attached Images

Last edited by Scocrawler; 08-13-2014 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Photo duplicates
Old 08-18-2014, 10:18 AM   #10
Fifth dimension

Erik's always willing to help where he can. If it wasn't for his services, my first rigs would never had seen the rocks. If your handy with tools, your ahead of the game. Dlux has been promoting the MT gear boxes for some time. I'm sure you won't be disappointed.
Crawllife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 01:54 PM   #11
2013 2.2P Nat. Champion

That Dremmel work looks great. Build on!

J
SkaldidDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 07:53 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Like most builds I ran into some issues. One of the Mad Torque gears under went an "update" and somehow they they ended up made wrong, or packaged wrong, something. The 12t gear MAD-MM2003 had splines of the wrong length and this placed the cross pin hole in the wrong spot. The shaft of the gear would not seat fully into one bearing and bottom or in the other leaving the case with a 1/8 in gap and unable to close. Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1408670501841.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  59.3 KBName:  uploadfromtaptalk1408670512860.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  40.7 KBName:  uploadfromtaptalk1408670520865.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  45.8 KBName:  uploadfromtaptalk1408670529513.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  51.4 KBName:  uploadfromtaptalk1408670538101.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  45.2 KBName:  uploadfromtaptalk1408670545311.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  39.6 KBName:  uploadfromtaptalk1408670555085.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  46.8 KBName:  uploadfromtaptalk1408670569396.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  50.1 KBName:  uploadfromtaptalk1408670578586.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  41.2 KBName:  uploadfromtaptalk1408670585303.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  54.1 KBName:  uploadfromtaptalk1408670585303.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  54.1 KB

Nitrorcx.com very politely told me to order a replacement gear and if it showed up wrong they could then try and resolve it. Guessing since I did not buy these from them the care factor dropped.

Poor Erik Dlux probably thought I was a pain in the *ss. But I knew something was not right. Glad he took the time to look and compare. He has a couple replacements headed my way. Axles will be done soon.

Next up I can start making some links. Nothing special. Just 8-32 all thread and 1/4 in aluminum tube for uppers. Lowers are delrin that came with the chassis.

That's it for now. With some luck finding shocks, I might have a roller someday.
Old 09-16-2014, 07:30 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Finally made some real progress. The Mad Torque cases and Berg tubes are coexisting just fine. Got the upper links done. I had a pair of shocks from my scorpion that I internally limited and enough funds to buy some Traxxas big bores and mini t springs. Not really sure if it is just the MT cases or what but keeping them off of the shocks when flexed out was an issue. Were stock berg cases this much of an issue? Anyway they are in there now just spaced them out a lot. I want to mount my battery to the front Gearbox with a plate sandwiched between the motor gearbox. Does anyone still make those? On to some pics! Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1410917392420.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  76.4 KBName:  uploadfromtaptalk1410917401654.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  74.0 KBName:  uploadfromtaptalk1410917407082.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  76.9 KBName:  uploadfromtaptalk1410917412992.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  50.4 KBName:  uploadfromtaptalk1410917417856.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  61.3 KB
Old 09-16-2014, 08:51 PM   #14
RCC Addict

There are two different ways to mount the battery. Berg had the BigRon battery mount that I still produce and Rowdy Racing makes his too. The BR goes behind the motor and up and down, the RR one goes horizontal behind the motor between the links. I am not sure if these fit the MT cases but those are what I know of.
ClassiCutCustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 09:26 PM   #15
Fifth dimension

The link lines lines look great on that BJ. For a budget build, it really looks like it's coming together man.
Crawllife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 03:35 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassiCutCustoms View Post
There are two different ways to mount the battery. Berg had the BigRon battery mount that I still produce and Rowdy Racing makes his too. The BR goes behind the motor and up and down, the RR one goes horizontal behind the motor between the links. I am not sure if these fit the MT cases but those are what I know of.
Ahh perfect! Thanks you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawllife View Post
The link lines lines look great on that BJ. For a budget build, it really looks like it's coming together man.
Thank you! Terribly slow though. Oh well, could be worse. Could be having to sell off rigs just to make ends meet so I am grateful.

Tossed it on the scale and was shocked it is already heavier than my Shafty. 5 lbs with no electronics. Going to work on that as time goes along.

Day late and a dollar short! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
my short day out with my newly redone honcho iluvny081 Axial SCX-10 3 06-03-2013 03:52 PM
Happy Late Canada Day/Early Independence Day monkeyracing Tamiya XC/CC01 1 07-04-2012 11:19 AM