Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > EnRoute Berg

Notices

Thread: Recommendations for new Berg v3 build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2014, 11:53 PM   #1

Default Recommendations for new Berg v3 build

Hi guys im new to the forum and new to crawling so im looking for some suggestions for a new berg v3 build im looking at doing in the next couple weeks. Not really into crawling comps or anything so i know this crawler is complete overkill for what i need but i always have the nicest things so this is the crawler im planning to get.

What i would like to know is what motors and esc's are recommended for a nice chassis like this. I was either looking at a pair of tekin fxr esc's and a pair of tekin 45t motors. Others i looked at were holmes hobbies torque master motors and the mini dual esc. I see a few people running the puller 500 motors but i haven't been able to find any info on what the differences are between the puller 500 and the torque master pro motors.

I quite like the tekin fxr esc's so ill probably grab a pair of those just not sure on which motors to go with. The puller 500's look really good and i hear nothing but good things about them so they will probably end up in the build i just wanted to hear any other suggestions you guys might have and what the differences are between the puller and torque master pro motor's are. Thanks heaps for your help guys.
hdfanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2014, 08:59 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Recommendations for new Berg v3 build

Welcome to the board, I too am pretty new to this crawling thing. I just received my Berg Tracer V3 last week. My first impressions are good, this is my first experience with a MOA crawler. I will be running mine with the Tekin FXR and dual Tekin 45 turn motors. Right now the budget only allows me to use the punk dig switch instead of dual esc's. I have used the FRX in my Wraith and I really like it. I would also trust anything from Holmes Hobbies many people on this board speak very highly of their products. Right now I am having trouble with my wheel choices. The Berg uses a larger stub axle 5mm I think, so with the wheels I purchased my socket will not fit inside the hub to tighten the nut all the way down. Small problem. Can't wait to finally get it all together and run it. If I can share any advice I will.
Boopernator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 09:31 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I should have my motors here by the week end Dec 5th. I will be starting with a single Tekin Fxr and dual Tekin 45t motors with a punk dig. This set up should get me at least crawling, so I can give you a better review. I have some things I would like to share about the Berg Tracer kit with you.
I ordered the kit with out wheels and tires, looking back I would have ordered it with Wheels and Tires. Because the axles on the rig are 5mm and they do not provide wheel nuts in the kit I purchased. The 5mm nut is of course larger in diameter so I could not fit my nut driver into the wheels I already have. You need a 8mm nut drive with a head diameter no larger than 10.5 mm. There are threads on modifying nut drivers to fit but that is a side note. Second the tires I have (Pro Line Chisel's) rub on the steering linkage due to the wheel off set I have chosen, minor due to I will most likely use Axials Trail ready rims with Vanquish hubs 725 for better clearance. I purchased some Gear Head RC 2.2 CAC EZ-Loc Beadlock Wheels, Delrin for my build but due to the fit issue those will end up on my Wraith. Third the hardware in the axles of the berg are pretty soft in my opinion and when you go to disassemble the axle to mount you motor you might strip the head if you are not careful. They are 3m x 10mm flat head screws, I will be replacing them and need a total of Six. Also on hardware notes you will need 3m x 8mm flat head screws to mount your motors because regular cap head motor screws will not work.
Most of his information probably exisits here on the site so search, and search again. I will post again with any info on my build process.
Old 12-03-2014, 10:11 AM   #4

Thanks for the info ill keep all that in mind when i get mine in the next couple weeks hopefully.
hdfanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 04:24 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Okay, motor and the rest of the electronics arrived. One small mistake for me again, I thought I had a 45t motor in my Wraith it is a 35t. Noob mistake, but not a huge problem I will just have Overdrive up front for a little while. Face Palm here. If you haven't already figured it out there is very limited space in this rig for electronics. Pick your battery wisely, I could not fit mine on the axle like I wanted to but found an acceptible spot up front between chassis plates. Might be too close to motor though. Fitting the Punk DIG will be a challenge, I would deffinatly go with dual FXr's if I had the money. Lets see what else, oh yeah steering servo linkage. The short arm that attaches to the servo horn is real stiff for some reason I don't know if it will loosen up with use or not. Have you made your electronics decisions yet, if you have what were they?
Old 12-09-2014, 08:19 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Short update pictures soon. So I have the motors mounted into the axles, so make sure you have Four 3mmx6mm flat head screws to mount the motors and use your soldering iron to heat the three screws that hold each axle housing closed. That will loosen the factory applied thread lock, take your time so you don't strip the screws. I am being careful to plot out where I will be running all the wires for the electronics.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:10 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Got it crawling tonight! Wow talk about packing in the electronics. I quick made one piece of lexan on the inside body to mount the ESC and the receiver. The wires are not too neat but I just wanted to get it running. Plenty of fun right now even on my small rock pile in the hobby room. Figured out real fast that the rear motor has to be wired opposite to the front one. Also the servo gets pretty warm right away. It's a Hitec HS-7954SH Hi-Voltage 7.4V Ultra-Torque Servo, I never really checked to see if this servo could be used with 3s lipo. Saving up for VooDoo tires next.
Old 12-12-2014, 06:37 AM   #8
www.ottsix.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boopernator View Post
Got it crawling tonight! Wow talk about packing in the electronics. I quick made one piece of lexan on the inside body to mount the ESC and the receiver. The wires are not too neat but I just wanted to get it running. Plenty of fun right now even on my small rock pile in the hobby room. Figured out real fast that the rear motor has to be wired opposite to the front one. Also the servo gets pretty warm right away. It's a Hitec HS-7954SH Hi-Voltage 7.4V Ultra-Torque Servo, I never really checked to see if this servo could be used with 3s lipo. Saving up for VooDoo tires next.
No worries about the servo as long as you set up your BEC to the correctly
crawl-o-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 06:23 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

I followed the wiring diagram that came with it, so the negative lead and the positive lead from the BEC are soldered to the neg and pos terminal of the male Deans connector of the ESC. I then removed the red wire from the esc plug to the receiver and taped it off. The BEC is plugged into the battery terminal of the receiver. It's the Castle BEC, and it lights up when I power every thing up. Thank you for posting your advice.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:31 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

I am having plenty of fun with this crawler! I thought I would share a few things so far. I'm curious about the "slop" in the front CVDs, at first I found out the small grub screws that attach the stub axle to the main axle came loose. Then the actual joint itself of the CVD has the slop, I don't know a good way to explain this. I'm wondering about the wear issue on the CVD.
I have to get the VooDoo tires ASAP, the Pro-line Chisels are okay but seemed to work better with my Wraith for some reason.
I get better articulation with the rear shocks on the lowest hole of the Chassis too, other than that I have done nothing to the shocks. Don't even know if they have oil in them.
The weird mistake motor set up (35t up front 45t in rear) seems to work out real good for me. Being a noob to MOA crawlers I'm sure I will learn with time if this is a bad idea. I can tell the difference between the motors though when I screw around with the punk dig switch.
I'm going to search for Servo protection, it's right up front and gets some abuse from my poor choices in "Lines" on the rocks
Bought a Green Star today and hope to post a short Video soon.
Old 12-17-2014, 05:48 PM   #11
www.ottsix.com

Look'n good! Check in with Crawler Innovations, they have some good deals on Voodoo/DD foam combos

http://crawlerinnovations.com/index....mart&Itemid=72

Get the comp cut foams!!

Last edited by crawl-o-matic; 12-17-2014 at 05:50 PM.
Old 12-17-2014, 07:52 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

I have been on the CI web site several times, and have purchased a set of the closed cel foams for my Pit Bull tires on my Wraith. I am wondering if I should go with the Blue compound for my VooDoos. Until I get really serious and can tell the difference in the compounds and what to use, your Blue compound should suit me just right. I think....

Last edited by Boopernator; 12-17-2014 at 08:04 PM.
Old 12-18-2014, 05:31 AM   #13
www.ottsix.com

I know lots of drivers who use blue all the way around and swear by them. If you normally run on super high traction sandstone, I'd use silver as I've found that blue actually gets too aggressive.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:41 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

I used the all powerful search button and found good info on the Pin Tires. My Berg is pretty heavy in its stock form compared to the sweet comp rigs that people build. Over five pounds to be specific, I know sacrilege. But if what I'm thinking here is correct, the Blue compound is "Firm" so it would be the better choice due to the weight of my rig? Also CI recommends the 6.0 foam too, but with all this weight what Outer Foams do you recommend?

Thanks again for taking the time to provide me with your knowledge.
Old 12-19-2014, 06:38 AM   #15
www.ottsix.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boopernator View Post
I used the all powerful search button and found good info on the Pin Tires. My Berg is pretty heavy in its stock form compared to the sweet comp rigs that people build. Over five pounds to be specific, I know sacrilege. But if what I'm thinking here is correct, the Blue compound is "Firm" so it would be the better choice due to the weight of my rig? Also CI recommends the 6.0 foam too, but with all this weight what Outer Foams do you recommend?

Thanks again for taking the time to provide me with your knowledge.
I'd go with blue with 6.0 DD (soft or med, I'd get both as this will be the way to go for spot on tuning)
Old 12-19-2014, 07:11 AM   #16
RCC Addict

The set of blues i have run a 6.0 comp cut with a 5.25 soft outer. Those tire on a rig that weighs 4lb 12oz was crawling some steep inclines that 4lb 2oz rigs on silvers just couldnt make.
Curcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 12:23 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

I'm still contemplating the 6.0 foams, Soft outers for the front and maybe med outers for the back both with the comp cut. With trying to stay on a budget I think I will be ordering CI six bolt wheels in the 1.5 width. I might keep saving up some cash though and order up some Dlux wheels in the G10 material, they look sweet.
Old 12-25-2014, 12:30 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Blue compound is ment for the rear tires,,,
I run silver in the front with dobble deuce soft foam and blue rear with DD medium foam with tuning ring...
FLOKI-81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Recommendations for new Berg v3 build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Build thread recommendations? WAM Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 8 09-16-2011 06:52 PM
Berg running HaVoc.... Jp's Berg Build run2jeepn EnRoute Berg 52 06-19-2009 11:32 AM
Recommendations for first AX10 build Wild Willys Newbie General 12 11-05-2007 08:55 PM
1st Build recommendations... Rich Lee Newbie General 4 05-18-2007 02:04 PM