RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   EnRoute Berg (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/enroute-berg/)
-   -   Berg Bible (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/enroute-berg/555236-berg-bible.html)

Erik D_lux 01-26-2016 08:56 AM

Berg Bible

I want to add all Berg parts to this thread. Please, if I missed your product, its not for any other reason than I am just getting this together and refining it. Post up in here or PM me if you want me to add your Berg parts.

The purpose of this thread will be to inform new people (and maybe even some that have been around) on building a RC Rock Crawler or specifically a Berg in this forum. I will put another version in the XR forum.

Not only should this post help people learn how to build their cars, but I would also like to post links of specific parts and where to get them.
I would like user input on this document and I will update it with new info as much as possible.

I hope this will help bring new people into the hobby and make it so its not so difficult to find information on how to join our wonderful hobby and have fun doing it.

I will try to put all the information in here. If you cant find it, please post up to let me know what information your missing and I will try an add it.
I might not be able to get everything in here. Using the “Search” feature is still going to be a very valuable tool.

Erik D_lux 01-26-2016 08:57 AM

Re: Berg Bible

Chassis

Best place to search is in the Vendors forum. Here is a list that I know of.

Y-Town Crawlers
Double agent chassis.
I think you need to PM Del Monte to order.

Dravtech
Sudu Pro
Sudo Pro 3D
The pro is available on his site at dravtech.net I think the 3D is coming soon.

5th Dimension
Dominator.
I think you need to PM Cboggs or King Gee to order

Dlux
Bounty Hunter
Dluxfab.com

RcBros Executioner v2
Available via PM

BDN Remedy chassis
Available via PM BDM

Vendors, please post up to have your chassis added

Erik D_lux 01-26-2016 08:57 AM

Shocks

The most commonly run shocks are either the Traxxas Big bore or the Axial SCX shocks.

The big bores come in 3.5” (tra2660), 3.7” (tra2661) and 4” (tra2662). The length will depend on the chassis so figure out your chassis first and then ask the manufacturer what length works best with their chassis.

Big bores can work in the stock form or you can do a “cap mod” where you cut off the top eyelet and drill and tap for a screw. That screw will hold a rod end on. Doing this mod will make for less binding when you set your shocks up.

www.dluxfab.com offers Traxxas Big bore shocks that have the cap mod and also offers lathing the bodies down. Lathing the bodies down reduces weight and lets the springs ride on the shock without rubbing.

The SCX shocks are usually taken from stock kits and bought “used” so your best bet is to find these in the classifieds.

RcBros carries an Egressor Delrin Shock Body which is a better version of the SCX shock. RCbros carries all pieces to run fully assembled shocks.

The most common springs to use on either shock is the Mini-T spring. LOSB1117 for the short springs (big bore), LOSB1119 for the long springs (SCX). I think the SCX can use the short ones also?

RCbros.com also carries Shock Springs that mimics most commonly used Losi Silver Spring Rate

You can use stock spring cups or Dlux Fab has no preload spring cups.

Erik D_lux 01-26-2016 08:58 AM

Links

You will need to find links for the chassis you decided on. There are lots of threads on how to build your own, the manufacturer can tell you where to source them or I, Dlux can make custom ones and supply a lot of links for a lot of chassis Dlux Fab.

Typically you want a Revo rod end for the lower links. They are strong and cheap. TRA5347
I use Traxxas 1942 rod ends anywhere I need 3mm sized rod ends (uppers on 1/8” links).

You can use a lot of different materials for links. Delrin, Aluminum and Titanium are the most common.
Delrin will be the cheapest and weakest
Aluminum can be had for cheap and can be great for upper links but typically too weak for lower links
The most common is Titanium 3/16” lower links and Titanium 1/8” upper links

Erik D_lux 01-26-2016 08:59 AM

Tires

Tires are usually Rovers, Sedonas, VooDoo, RC4wd Bully pin tires and some Jconcepts Ruptures.
Rovers, stick with the white or maybe Blue (harder compound).

RC4wd Bully pin tires come in one compound.

Sedonas only come in one compound, white.

VooDoo come in Gold (soft), Silver (medium), Blue (hardest, but still soft). All have their place and all work well.

If you want VooDoos that have been narrowed, PM EverettY

Jconcpets only have one Rupture compound

Foams will be a lot of preference.
You can get away with stock foam in the Rovers/Sedonas for a bit until you know what you want, the VooDoo really needs the Crawlerinnovations.com closed cell foam setup. Typically this will be a soft outer foam in the front around a 6” inner closed cell foam and medium outer foam in the rear around a 6” closed cell foam.

ESC(s)

I don’t know much about single ESC. I think you need a Punk dig bought from ?????? and your choice of ESC.

Duel ESC will give the ability to run each motor independently at its own speed as long as you have a radio that lets you. The popular ESC are a Tekin FXR, Castle creations micro sidewinder or the Holmes Hobbies BR mini. Everybody seems to have preference on their ESC so search around.

www.holmeshobbies.com carries his BR minis that are already "smashed" (putting two ESC's together).

BEC

Pretty much only one option IMO for this…. Castle creations 10a BEC. If you don’t use this your steering can get in a bind and then your car wont drive. You want a BEC. If you get the Holmes Hobbies shv500 servo, you do not need a BEC since it has one in the servo itself.

Servo/horn

You will find some preference here also. The popular Servos are Hitec 7950 or Futaba BLS172. If you need a bigger servo (physical size and strength) a Hitec 7980 is where you will probably end up but, a 7950 will work for 99%.

List of good servos:
Hitec 7980
Hitec 7950 (may be a bit weak for the XR10)
Futaba BLS172
Holmes Hobbies shv500

For servo horns people really like the clamping Robitronics style but I really despise them after having multiple, multiple issues with them on my super. I suggest a non clamping style such as Air wild horns http://airwildpilotshop.com/ or a simple Hitec 55702. Either style you choose, a servo horn with 1” length usually works best for our cars.

Erik D_lux 01-26-2016 09:00 AM

Radio

People commonly use a Futaba 4pl, 4pk(s), or a Aritronics MT4 for pistol type radios. You can also use a twin stick with great success like the Futaba 6ex or the Specktrum dx6 or many others. I usually suggest sticking to pistol types as they are a TON easier to learn. Twin stick do have the advantages of more advanced options though.

Doing some research on the ole inter-web I found a couple of how-to videos by Harley

Programming the 4pk for Dual ESC's
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwu-Wm3dRhw

Dual ESC's 4 wheel steer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bY26rfFwlio

Go do some research on U-tube lots of info there on most common RC TX's / RXs

Erik D_lux 01-26-2016 09:01 AM

Berg based axles

Here is the confusing part. The Berg is a bastard child. The heart and soul of the Berg is a great starting point. So much so that everybody has had their way with it and made their own version, that’s what makes them so confusing.

First, let’s start with the type of Berg gear box you can buy.

Berg V1 – The Original Berg
$200 base
This is by far the most widely used gear box out there. This is what made the Berg popular. You can still buy complete Berg axles and upgrade them. You could even run straight up stock Berg axles. If youre interested, contact Dlux Fab and you can purchase them.

These could possibly be one of the better ways to go if you want to spend less and want to buy used. I personally think there are better options when buying new.

Berg V2 and V3
I don’t know much about these so I will not go to far into them. From what I have seen, I think they are still for sale and a pretty reasonable axle to buy. From what I understand, they are strong and work good. There is not much if any aftermarket to them so you pretty much own what you get and that’s that. They are also a much heavier version. This is all I will probably say about these two versions since I will be going over upgrades below and these will not apply.

Exceed/Mad torque
$90ish base
This is the plastic version of the Berg V1 case. You can buy these cheaply, very cheaply and they can take a lot of the Berg upgrades. If you wanted to get into the hobby really, really cheap and then upgrade, you could buy a Mad Torque crawler, start driving the day you get it and then upgrade as you go along. In my opinion, this is the cheapest and easiest way for anybody to get into the hobby at this point and even better, you don’t get stuck with a bad car as you can upgrade every part. Be prepared to upgrade almost every part at some point if you get serious. NitroRCX.com - Lowest Prices for Nitro Gas Electric Brushless RC Remote Radio Control Toys, RC Cars, RC Trucks, RC Buggy, RC Drift Cars, RC Rock Crawlers, RC Crawler, RC Race Cars, RC On Road Cars, RC Hobbies, Exceed RC, RC Electric Boats, RC Nitro G sells the entire axles, RTR cars or parts.

Dlux super lites
Starting at $425 complete for a front and rear without gears.
These gear cases use Berg V1 gears. These are intended to be run as they are sold with no upgrades needed. Found only at dluxfab.com/products

Dlux replacement cases
Starting at $375 complete for a front and rear without gears.
These gear cases use Berg V1 gears. These are intended to be run as they are sold with no upgrades needed. These are different from the super lites in that they are not narrowed in the front case. Found only at dluxfab.com/products

Hot Racing
$180 base.

Pretty hard to find these days. Almost identical to Berg V1 cases.
If you can find these axles or just gears and cases for cheap they could be good base to start some Berg axles. These can take just about any mod that the Berg V1 can. These also use a 48t 2nd gear so you can use a 48t pinion on your motor. This special 2nd gear gives slightly lower gearing too. Youre going to have to search the net for these.

Erik D_lux 01-26-2016 09:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Gears

Now that you have the gear box, you can do gears.

Berg, Rcbros and RC4WD gears use a .6mod pinion. Robinson racing is the only manufacturer to carry gears that I know of. Part numbers are RRP1112 for 12 tooth, RRP1113 for 13 tooth, RRP1114 for 14 tooth and so forth.

Dlux SAF and Hot Racing gears use a 48p pinion and use .6 mod on all the gears EXCEPT the large 2nd gear which connects to the pinion. This is a standard 48p gear so you would need a 48p pinion for this. I wont list all the manufacturers who make 48p pinions, there are a lot. I personally use Robinson Racing pinions which are part # RRP1412 for 12t, RRP1413 for 13t and so forth.

I have always had significant wear on anything smaller than 13 tooth so I try and stick with bigger pinions. This is on the .6 mod gears. If you get the 48p pinions, you can get a much better pinion gear and go smaller without issue since you can find a 48p pinion that is a much better quality and a harder material.

The only real issue you will find with any Berg gear is the stock small 3rd. It is not super weak but has been known to break. This is the only gear I would suggest upgrading and this is only for the front case. There is a better chance at getting the stock small 3rd gear to work in the rear.

Rcbros gears look to be close to stock V1 Berg gears.
RcBros - Hobbie Store

RC4WD gears are also close to stock V1 Berg gears but slightly lighter.

Dlux SAF gears have 2mm pins vs. stock 1.5mm pins, significantly lighter than anything else on the market, 48p 2nd gears, and have a lower ratio option.
https://dluxfab.ecwid.com/#!/SAF-Berg-gears/p/22122165

Mad torque/Exceed
These gear cases are special because they can use the gears that are intended to be made for them in steel or plastic or you can run Berg V1 gears (see above) if you get adapters. The gears that are made especially for the exceed are cheap, like under $5 cheap. They come in plastic and steel. You cannot run MT gears in a Berg case but you can run Berg gears in a MT case.

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/enrou...r-options.html

Bearings:
Stock Berg use (4) 5x10 for small gears and (2) 10x15 for locker gears per case

Dlux Super lites use (4) FLANGED 5x10 for small gears and (1) non flanged 10x15, (1) FLANGED 10x15 for locker gear per case. The non flanged 10x15 goes in the short side tube.

Dlux basic cases bearings on the motor plate are all flanged. The 4th and 3rd gears have the flange on the outside of the case, obviously the flange will be in the inside on the aluminum puck holding the 2nd gear bearing.
Bearings on the non motor side are all NON flanged. The locker bearings will kinda "float" and not be held in by anything. This is what I am assuming 95% of people are doing with success. Some ideas to hold the bearings in, if it bothers you or you have issues would be to super glue the bearings to the carbon (which actually works great), loc tite the bearings to the locker or you can build some shims to go between the bearings and the tube bearing relief.

Erik D_lux 01-26-2016 09:03 AM

With the cases and gears done, now its time for tubes.

Two sets of tubes on the market at this point.

Front tubes
RCbros has a very nice set made from 7075 aluminum. See RCbros.com
RC bros tubes are made to fit Wraith or XR10 carrier hubs. AX10 hubs can also work but need some work to get them to fit.
Any "Berg" axle shaft should fit these tubes. If you get a set of Dlux shafts, you will have to drill the tube out as the shafts are too big to start with.

Dlux has a set made from Delrin. Dluxfab.com
These tubes can use AX10 or Wraith/XR10 carrier hubs.
All known "Berg" axle shafts work with these tubes.

Stock tubes also work just fine. They have issues since you cannot clock the caster and the shock mounts independently and they are heavy, no servo mounts with out fabbing. Stock tubes can be lathed down to fit an AX10 carrier hub, fit a dlux shock mount and reduce weight. All said and done, it will probably be better and cheaper to just buy new tubes unless you do the work yourself.

Rear tubes

RCbros 7075 rear tubes.
These tubes only fit CreeperBob rear TI shafts

Dlux delrin rear tubes.
These tubes can fit any rear shafts made for a berg including the stock dog bones.

If you want to use stock dog bones, you will need 5x12mm bearings in each lockout.

Other aftermarket shafts will need a 12mm outer diameter bearing and the inner will be the same as the shaft. Probably 5mm or 6mm. Dlux shafts are 8mm.

You might be able to find used front and rear tubes such as Clover custom tubes.

Erik D_lux 01-26-2016 09:03 AM

You will need carrier hubs/knuckles for the tubes.

To figure out what chub (carrier hub) you want to run you will first need to figure out what knuckle you want to run. To figure out what knuckle you want to run, you will need to figure out what front shafts you want to run. LOL So, before we actually do move to knuckles/chubs, lets figure out axles and that will give you your answer on the rest.

Erik D_lux 01-26-2016 09:04 AM

Front Axles

So, you will need to find your shafts first and then choose the knuckle.

CVD are typically capable of 50* of steering while universals are typically 50* also but can be modded for 70* of steering.

Below must use the "Missing Link Locker" from Dlux:

Dlux FBA universals with 8mm stub shafts = Dlux knuckles
Dlux FBA universals with Axial XR/Wraith stub shafts = Wraith/XR10 knuckles and Dlux knuckles
SSD XR length CVD's = Wraith/XR10 knuckles and Dlux knuckles
Vanquish XR length CVD's = Wraith/XR10 knuckles and Dlux knuckles
Axial XR length Universals = Wraith/XR10 knuckles and Dlux knuckles

Below all use stock style lockers:

Super 300HD universal = Wraith/XR10 knuckles and Dlux knuckles
Super 300’s CVD can be either Ax10 or Berg and Dlux knuckles
Sloski800’s CVD are AX10 and Dlux knuckles

The only thing I would be cautious of is when choosing a knuckle, make sure you can get knuckle weights.

Dlux knuckles are all knuckle weights in themselves. There are some options you can find used for most the others but, they can be hard to find. Another popular option is the RCbros add on weight holders for the Wraith knuckles.

Erik D_lux 01-26-2016 09:05 AM

Rear axle shafts

There are only 2 aftermarket rear axles that I know of right now, Dlux and Creeper Bob.

You can use stock dog bone axles in the rear.

Keep in mind that if you use RC bros tubes, you will have to use Creeper Bob shafts.

If you use Dlux tubes, you can use either Dlux or Creeper bob and you can even use stock dog bone axle shafts from Berg V1 with the correct bearings (5x12mm).

I believe you have to contact CreeperBob in the vendors section or through PM. Dlux shafts can be found at Dlux Fab

Chub type

Are you following me?

If so, you now know your knuckle and axle shaft type.

There are really only 3 styles of chubs,
Wraith/XR 8*
Ax10 8*
Ax10 Non 8*

To my knowledge, Vanquish products is the only company to make a AX10 8* chub (and knuckle). Anybody else who produces the AX10 chub will be non 8*.

Many people make the XR/Wraith chubs, Vanquishproduts.com, Axial, HR ,STRC etc,.

For the AX10 non 8* chubs, I suggest Axial brand they are a Ax30495.

To determine whether you want 8* or non, check this thread:

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/gener...advantage.html

If youre running Wraith knuckles, you must use Wraith chubs.

If youre using Ax10 or Berg knuckles, you must use AX10 chubs.

If youre using Dlux knuckles, you can use either an AX10 or Wraith/XR chub.

Motors

Motors can get complicated. I have learned a lot over time but still, when I order, I usually send a message saying "here is what I want, hook me up". Both EddieO (Team Brood) and Holmes Hobbies have great service and can help you out on a custom motor.

You can get "Machine wound" and "Hand wound". "Hand wound" to put it simply, will have more power and have better quality. If you want a hand wound motor, see above. You can also simply grab a machine wound motor off both www.TeamBrood.com and www.HolmesHobbies.com

Wheels

Man, I almost dont want to go into wheels. There are a lot of options for this.

There are a couple of different types of wheels.
Beadlocks
Glue on

There are a lot of types of beadlocks. You can get anything from a stock plastic wheel of a lot of cars all the way up to a really nice aluminum aftermarket bead lock.

For crawlers, I prefer to have the flat faced wheel. This allows for weight to be moved as far out as possible and also to have as much weight as possible.

For flat faced beadlocks, I dont think there are many options. I think www.dluxfab.com might be the only place?

Glue on wheels. There must be a million out there now. Let me know if you need to be added to the list.

CrawlerInnovations.com 6 bolt wheels (not flat faced though)

5th dimension
Send PM to order?

Hulksta
Send PM to order?

Y- Town
Send PM to order?

Dluxfab.com

Dravtech.net

Krazedbuilds.com

Rcbros.com

Erik D_lux 01-26-2016 09:06 AM