Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > EnRoute Berg

Notices

Thread: Dlux "kit" car

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2016, 08:08 AM   #1
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Default Dlux "kit" car

I wanted to see if I could get some feedback from you guys and see if there is any way to make this car better or cheaper.

I really cant get myself to make something that will break instantly. This car should be able to survive just as is with zero upgrades needed. So, if I do some things cheaper, they need to be just as reliable.

The whole intention is to make the cheapest yet durable car to bring new people in. I plan on offering this cheaper version along with my highest end version.

Please understand that this car shown in the pictures is not complete. Its just something I slapped together to show a example. Lots of details missing but hopefully you get the point.

The cost of this car will be somewhere in the ballpark of $475 as shown. I could add G10 glue on wheels for $50. That would leave you with just electronics, tires, foam and hubs for around $525 total. Not too bad for a really strong set of axles and a parts to go with it to make it a really well performing car!

Add tire/foam/wheels? Any other changes you think would help us get new guys in the hobby? I could also assemble the entire thing. Please post up comments to help the future of crawling!

What would be included:
Basic "Pro" axles
Delrin Dlux Bounty Hunter chassis with aluminum braces
Steel Traxxas links
Plastic Traxxas Big bore shocks
Losi Mini T springs
Attached Images

Erik D_lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2016, 08:18 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Dlux "kit" car

1st off i love the idea! And i think price point wise you're right on the money. There are truggy kits that are similar in price.

I know youve got things in the works. They're not pictured or mentioned, but does this include gears?

Last edited by Curcal; 06-15-2016 at 08:21 AM.
Curcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 08:19 AM   #3
Wanna get? Gotta want.

It will include gears but not for the price of $475 as estimated. As soon as I have a firm price on gears, I will add those.
Old 06-15-2016, 09:51 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

That looks like a really reliable set up right out of the gate! Awesome job with coming up with a kit that takes a lot of the guesswork out of coming up with a rig that can go out and be just as competitive as anybody else at a comp and a great starting price. This also gives the new guy a chance to go and see if comping is really something they are going to be into without blowing $2000 on the initial set up, and if they are going to stick with it then they already have an awesome platform to add more options too! As always great job bringing new innovations into the comp crawling world and figuring out ways to do it affordably .....
blandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 09:55 AM   #5
RCC Addict

That's a great first go at a kit. Must have gears to be a complete but as you already mentioned that is coming. To me keeping it under the $500 mark (even $499) would really help push the sales of them to first time buyers. If a scale kit is around $350 and you need electronics this would put the moa at a very achievable price point!

Can't wait to see what else your coming out with!
mammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 10:01 AM   #6
Wanna get? Gotta want.

I agree, I think a $500 car would be great.

Berg gears are going to cost. It could be what "kills" people from getting into them but it is what keeps the best axles "alive" when you own them.

There could be a bit more cost in these than the new guy wants to spend but maybe, just maybe it could keep people involved when they can simply drive a car for hours with no upgrades or repairs? I can see it go both ways for sure.
Old 06-15-2016, 10:11 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

You probably already thought of this, but Rob from Robinson was the guy who made the Mann 2nds for the Berg, maybe he would be interested in making whole gear sets.

Just a thought.

Great work Erik!
travis c. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 10:14 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Guys spend 500+ on racing kits all the time. I think youre on the right track. Scale rigs are an oddity in the RC world.
Curcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 10:16 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I think if you offered motor, esc and tire suggestions on an insert (paper flyer) it would help out the new to moa or crawling type, and keep your pm box a bit lighter.

149 r/c worx team driver
snapon boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 10:33 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapon boy View Post
I think if you offered motor, esc and tire suggestions on an insert (paper flyer) it would help out the new to moa or crawling type, and keep your pm box a bit lighter.

149 r/c worx team driver
I agree having some optional or suggested parts for completion would be nice.

Count me in one one of these but I would love the optional axle upgrades (best) that you offer with your axles now.
Sphofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 10:56 AM   #11
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis c. View Post
You probably already thought of this, but Rob from Robinson was the guy who made the Mann 2nds for the Berg, maybe he would be interested in making whole gear sets.

Just a thought.

Great work Erik!
I already have gears on the way. Should just be a couple more weeks I am told. Thanks though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphofer View Post
I agree having some optional or suggested parts for completion would be nice.

Count me in one one of these but I would love the optional axle upgrades (best) that you offer with your axles now.
I too would think that offering an ESC, Motors and servo would be very helpful.

I am trying to get away from offering so many options on my site. People typically send me emails saying they dont get what all the options are for and just to send them an invoice for something. Problem is, again, I dont want to offer a sub standard part. I could put an option in for tires/wheels/foam and also for electronics? Again, I dont want to confuse people though.....

Quote:

149 r/c worx team driver
Thanks, I agree.
Old 06-15-2016, 12:09 PM   #12
5th D Owner/Driver

If your target is for the newcomer than I think it would have to be assembled to make them want to buy one. You'll get way less emails asking what goes where if all they have to do is open a box and see a assembled car.
cboggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 12:22 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

The assembly would drive the price up tho! Make a video of how to assemble it and post it on utube. Save cost. I agree artr is appealing. Or charge an assembly fee.

149 r/c worx team driver

Last edited by snapon boy; 06-16-2016 at 08:48 AM.
snapon boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 12:41 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

This is awesome Erik! I'm about ready to jump into the comp world so I'll definitely be in the market for one of these.

Speaking strictly from my personal experience, I don't know how many NEW people this kit will bring into the hobby. Having no prior R/C experience myself when I bought my first rig, I was looking at versatile, mainstream offerings that resemble a scale vehicle, so I went with a Wraith. Even if your kit had been on the market at that time and even if it was at the same price point, it would not have swayed my decision.

That being said, I do think this is the perfect intro to COMP crawling for somebody who has scaler experience or is getting back into the hobby. Those people should already know what a comp crawler costs to build so to offer a kit at the $500-$600 price point is huge. People with experience probably also have their favorite electronics and tire/foam combos so I don't see a lot of value in including them. Wheels and gears would be nice options since they're more niche items.

I know that locally, a lot of people got out of comp crawling due to the cost. It was impossible for people who could only afford a modded XR10 to compete against one or two guys who could spend $2,000 a custom built rig. I think this kit levels the playing field and I hope it brings back some of the old timers. Great work!
mikebecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 02:22 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Great work hope it helps with getting more people involved
ossipeecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 02:33 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

I guess it's time for my son(11) to get into a pro rig!

For that price, it's most excellent work, Erik!
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 03:26 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

This is just what i been looking for. An easy and affordable way into comp crawling. Optional electronics kit would be nice. Not high end, but functional electronics kit.
Desmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 07:23 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Many many kudos Erik for what you are continuing to do for our hobby! I think this "kit" will be a very easy and attractive way for new guys and hopefully gals to step into a Pro/2.2M rig. I wish this was offered when I started many years ago.

How much did the XR10 kits cost? I think $300 or so? You end up throwing everything away except for the axles, axle cases and a few plastic pieces here and there anyways. Buying all the upgraded parts in the beginning...SWEET!

I can see where the confusion comes into play especially for people who are not familiar with comp rigs. Like snapon boy suggested, a short guide could help explain what the rig needs in order to run. I would assume most of the guys who want a Pro rig have some sort of knowledge on wiring/soldering/dual esc/rx/tx/bec? Maybe, maybe not. Or a Q&A thread on everything dlux would help with your PM/email load. Some of us that are familiar with your products or general questions could help answer questions. I know I'd help
chicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 07:52 AM   #19
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboggs View Post
If your target is for the newcomer than I think it would have to be assembled to make them want to buy one. You'll get way less emails asking what goes where if all they have to do is open a box and see a assembled car.

Could kill 2 birds with one stone ...... maybe it would help drive traffic from all those FBook drivers who don't come here too

Quote:
The assembly would drive the price up tho! Make a video of how to assemble it and post it on utube. Save cost. I agree artr is appealing. Or change an assembly fee.

149 r/c worx team driver

Video on YouTube would be a great idea.

Either way I hope this project becomes a product, it could really give a bump to the 2.2M class.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 08:41 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

Since you offer a complete car now, shouldn't you get your own sub-section on the forum?
Krawler Kev is offline   Reply With Quote

Dlux "kit" car - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/gYr-dbPEOnE" frameborde boolean21 Scale Videos! 0 10-01-2013 09:39 AM
RockMania26 XR10 "the Thing" and wheels DLUX mania26 Axial XR10 37 02-25-2012 08:30 PM