Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > EnRoute Berg

Notices

Thread: Beginner Build Executioner V2 chassis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2016, 09:22 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Beginner Build Executioner V2 chassis

So I have decided to build a crawler on my own, after having so much fun with my Berg tracer V3. I have been reading as much as I can here and also sent Erik a PM. The Berg Bible has been the most help along with all the other build threads here. This is the list of what I have and what I think I should purchase.

What I have already from my Tracer that I'm going to start with and upgrade as I learn more.
Electronics: Airtronics MT4 radio and receiver, Hitec HS 7954 servo, two Tekin FRX esc's with two Tekin 45's motors and Castle BEC.

Wheels and Tires: nothing special PL Chisels and PL beadlocks, and RC4WD comp tires on CI six shooter wheels. Meh

What I have bought so far is RCBro's Executioner V2 chassis, 2nd and 3rd Berg gears, and egressor shocks.

I want to order the rest from Dlux,
2.2 Superlite's 00162 (the kit style where everything is all together)

Knuckle's 00111 (AX10 stub shaft, Wraith/XR C-hub?, this is where I get confused)

Then Links, Erik let me know he does not have links for this chassis but can make them if I give him measurements. I don't know the measurements I need. I sent a message to Erik asking if his pre-made sets for other chassis would work, the SuDu Pro looks like it might work.

I might be better to order Axles A-la carte, but I would need some sort of grocery list or cheat sheet.

Then gears, What is the gear that connects to the locker? And what about the shafts that the gears connect to?

Thanks for any help that can be provided, I saw the Kit 101 and thought it might be the way to go. But I really like the looks and adjust ability of the Executioner V2.
Boopernator is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2016, 09:46 AM   #2
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Default Re: Beginner Build Executioner V2 chassis

You wont need knuckles if you get the axles all assembled so youre good to go there. I will take care of all the small details on those parts so you should be good.

You will probably need the small gears and large 4th gear. I should have all those hopefully this week too.

As I said in PM, I would guess Will can get a eye to eye measurement for links, if not, we can figure it out.

Keep posting up if you have more questions. I know lots of guys are willing to help on here.
Erik D_lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 11:50 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Great, thank you for the PM. I will do some searching on the Berg thread on how to measure links too. Congratulations too I think you took a first place in a recent comp. I want to get everything organized before I order so I get all the components at one time if possible.
Old 07-18-2016, 12:02 PM   #4
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Sounds good man, and thanks!

An easy way to get the proper length links is to get all thread and throw Revo rod ends on it. Just make them without bends and shoot me the eye to eye and we will be all set.
Old 07-19-2016, 08:33 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Okay things are moving along just fine here, Nerby149 sold me a set of Dlux brass knuckles for ofna hubs and Axial C hubs. So I think this is what I will order next.

Super lite cases A la carte, but what tubes should I go with? The AX10 or the XR/Wraith fronts? I am assuming they are different widths?

Axial Aluminum AX10 C hubs
The correct length Axles depending on tube? FBA 8mm stub shaft
0 offset Delrin hubs for 8mm for OFNA stub shafts or Dlux 7075 rear axles. Quantity 4?
Gears and locker when they are back in stock.

Then when I have all this, put it together and then measure for links. Unless Erik and RCBro's get a chance to talk and I can order links all ready to the correct length.

Nerby has also offered his help too. So Thank you for all this help I'm getting really excited to see this all coming together so well.
Old 07-19-2016, 08:58 AM   #6
RCC Addict

The reason you have to choose ax10 or xr wraith. Is the outside diameter is different. In this decision however you are choosing between a straight king pin (ax10) or 8* kingpin (xr/wraith). Vp used to make 8* chubs for scx not sure they do anymore. Of you can find those then you could do both with ax10 tubes. The knuckles can do both which is cool
Curcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 11:07 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

So if I go with the Axial aluminum AX10 C hubs I should go with the AX10 tubes correct? I understand the 8* and straight kingpin difference now too. I really don't know how the two truly effects crawling just yet, but as I progress and improve my driving skills I might figure out what will work better for me.
Old 07-20-2016, 08:08 AM   #8
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boopernator View Post
Super lite cases A la carte, but what tubes should I go with? The AX10 or the XR/Wraith fronts? I am assuming they are different widths?
As Curt said, the Wraith chubs and AX10 chubs have a different inner diameter. That is the only difference on the tubes I make. If you use AX10 chubs on a Wraith tube, it wont fit because the tube will be too big. If you use Wraith chubs on an AX10 tube, it will be sloppy and loose.

Having said that, I would ALWAYS go for the AX10 type tubes. You can run either 8* or non 8* on them. Use AX10 standard chubs for non 8* and then use the VP AX10 8* if you want 8* stuff. It does not paint you into a corner this way and you can simply swap from one to another if you like.

Quote:
The correct length Axles depending on tube? FBA 8mm stub shaft
0 offset Delrin hubs for 8mm for OFNA stub shafts or Dlux 7075 rear axles. Quantity 4?
Gears and locker when they are back in stock.
As said above, all axles will be the same no matter the type of tube or type of knuckle.

Get 225 delrin hubs for the front, 600 for the rear.

Quote:
So if I go with the Axial aluminum AX10 C hubs I should go with the AX10 tubes correct? I understand the 8* and straight kingpin difference now too. I really don't know how the two truly effects crawling just yet, but as I progress and improve my driving skills I might figure out what will work better for me.
Yep, if you want to use AX10 chubs, use AX10 tubes.

Here is a link to describe the pros and cons of 8*

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/gener...advantage.html
Old 07-21-2016, 08:07 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Okay, here is a photo of what I have in my possession so far. I have a PM to Erik at the moment about ordering my Super lites. After I order the Axles then I should be able to measure for links. I also want to thank Nery149 for his help locally.

Old 08-05-2016, 09:03 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

And now I have my Dlux Super Lites ready to build! The SAF Gears came in just in time to ship with everything. I will have to find a home for the RC Bros gears . I will try and post pictures along the was as I assemble the axles. Then it will be time to figure out links after that. RC Bros has provided some measurements to work with so I will build some threaded rod style links first then contact Erik for the final set of links.

Thanks Erik! I can't wait to get these axles built and on the rocks.
Old 08-09-2016, 09:52 AM   #11
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Thanks for being so patient with me! I am glad you finally got them. I am looking forward to your build.
Old 08-10-2016, 08:25 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

So here are some pictures of the early stages of just fitting things together. And things are fitting together very very well. I like how the axle parts seem to fit together only one way, so you know when it's wrong. You can tell there was plenty of research and planning in the design.

The motor access panel. Very cool for gear mesh adjustments, or possibly changing the pinion?

I wasn't sure at first what the white spacers were for. And I thought the gear case might be exposed, until I fit the tube on and realized it all fits together perfectly.

Then how perfectly this bearing fits into the tube and the carbon fiber plate that attaches the tube to the case.

The beautiful SAF gears, with some help from Nerby and trial and error I think I have them is the correct positions.

Everything rotates smooth like butter, even with out grease.

Money shot and shameless plug. This is an amazing build and brings back memories of my first hobby grade RC build. Seriously can't wait to test this baby out.
Old 08-14-2016, 06:30 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Will I have to grind down the ends of the axles shafts that fit into the front locker like the Dlux website states for the missing link locker. Or has that already been done at Dlux?
Old 08-14-2016, 07:27 PM   #14
"GOD SPEED"

Quote:
Will I have to grind down the ends of the axles shafts that fit into the front locker like the Dlux website states for the missing link locker. Or has that already been done at Dlux?
I had to grind about 2 mm of mine and then works perfectly.

"GOD SPEED"
nerby149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 05:44 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Cool, Erik PMed me a link into the vendors section that explains both the shaft length and Steering stops. And I must compliment Erik on his excellent customer service. He been helping me with my Missing link locker, it's binding inside the tube. I have been tring to sand down the existing one by chucking into my drill and using emory cloth to reduce the outer diameter. But no luck with that yet. A new locker is on the way, I will post up some pic when it get here.
Old 08-18-2016, 06:57 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Had to remove some material from the Axial Chub so the axles wouldn't bind.

And testing out Tapatalk for the first time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-19-2016, 07:30 AM   #17
RCC Addict

Make sure that the cross pin in the universal lines up exactly with the kingpin in the chub.
Old 08-19-2016, 07:51 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Has anyone else had to grind away some of the Axial Chub? It seems weird to have to do that to make it fit, but If that's what I gotta do then that's what I gotta do. I'm going to search for pictures to compare things.
Old 08-19-2016, 08:57 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Make sure that the bearing in the knuckle is seated all the way. And then the check clearance of the axel in the tube. Then line the cross pin of the uni with the holes of the chub.
Old 08-20-2016, 06:41 AM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curcal View Post
Make sure that the bearing in the knuckle is seated all the way. And then the check clearance of the axel in the tube. Then line the cross pin of the uni with the holes of the chub.

So I checked the bearing and looked to see if the axle pins lined up with the holes in the knuckle. And the bearing is seated and the pins look centered. But the Chub still touches the axle. Here are some pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beginner Build Executioner V2 chassis - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kinggee's RcBro Executioner Build KingGee EnRoute Berg 8 11-17-2013 03:41 PM