RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   EnRoute Berg (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/enroute-berg/)
-   -   Building my dad a 5th dimension berg (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/enroute-berg/604343-building-my-dad-5th-dimension-berg.html)

Nabil 12-04-2018 10:14 PM

Building my dad a 5th dimension berg

I haven’t done one of these for awhile, so let’s consider this a practice build thread. I’ll be posting my xr, superlite berg, and shafty soon. My dad has expressed interest in wanting to compete so after gathering parts for the last couple months it’s time to start building his new truck. The plan is for a reliable truck that he can learn with and grow into so a berg made sense. Full parts breakdown below.

Chassis:
Carbon 5th dimension dominator
Narrow skid
TSK’s shock sliders

Axles:
Berg cases
CKRC Droid tubes
Dlux missing link lockers front
Rcbros locker rear
Xr shafts front
creeperbob ti shafts rear
Drilled gears with Mann 2nds and ckrc 3rds
Mfd link mounts
Dlux knuckles
Dlux loaded dice weights

Suspension:
Dravtech comp shocks
Traxxas three hole pistons
Dravtech soft springs
Full ti links (3/16 lower and 1/8 upper)

Electronics:
Hitec 7950
Brood motors
Brood Pure Energy 500mah 3s lipos
Castle bec
2 Br minis
Futaba 4pk

Tires and wheels:
Ottsix voodoo gold pins (narrowed)
Crawler Innovations 6.0 foams (narrow inner, narrowed medium/firm outers)
Dlux D-cut loaded dice wheels

I think that covers everything. Plan is to have it done in the next week or so as I plan on giving it to him for Christmas.

Nabil 12-04-2018 10:18 PM

Re: Building my dad a 5th dimension berg

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 377244

Got the tubes all put together, cases shaved, motor plates machined, and link mounts set. Still need to build a servo mount but need to check motor to tube clearance first. Waiting on some bearings which should arrive tomorrow to finish putting them together.

JohnRobHolmes 12-04-2018 10:21 PM

Whoa, look who is back!

Nabil 12-04-2018 10:35 PM

2 Attachment(s)
While I’m waiting for bearings to finish up the axles, I decided to put together shocks. They are limited both internally and externally with 3mm aluminum spacers.

Attachment 377245

I also got the Ottsix tires narrowed and glued to the Dlux carbon loaded dice wheels. I ended up taking 2 rows of pins out from the center. I use Crawler Innocations foams in all my tires, so it only makes sense for me to use the same here. I chose the 6.0 double duece with narrowed inners. I also narrow my outer foams to match the width of the tires, mediums for the front, firm for the rear, with no tuning rings

Attachment 377246

WHITE-TRASH 12-04-2018 11:38 PM

Oh hell yea, your dad is a cool cat so I look forward to losing to him even on his first day at the wheel. :lmao:

House 12-05-2018 12:04 AM

Awesome!
#compcrawlingisnotdead

Nabil 12-05-2018 12:34 AM

2 Attachment(s)
For the chassis I went with a 5th dimension dominator. For people that know, this is the exact chassis on my xr10. I recently switched over to a blue carbon dominator so had this one ready to go. I swapped all my blue hardware for raw aluminum hardware. Since the upper and lower links are mounted in double sheet I used aluminum hardware there aswell.

Attachment 377251

For those wondering the weight. That includes the shock sliders, 4 3mm spacers, and 8 steel hollow balls

Attachment 377252

Nabil 12-05-2018 07:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I drilled out the gears today, but I think they will probably end up as spares since I ordered some rc4wd berg gears earlier today. I ended up finding some mann 2nd gears and ckrc 3rds so it should be plenty strong. I did end up clearancing the front universals slightly as well as remembered I had some ti straight axles from creeperbob. So I decided to throw those in the rear with a rcbros locker instead. I do wish the rear shafts were 4mm threads like the front, but this will have to do.

Attachment 377305

WHITE-TRASH 12-05-2018 08:55 PM

Are those rear shafts 6mm at the pin? If so I have some brand new 12mm hexes I'd gladly mail out.

Nabil 12-05-2018 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH (Post 5889770)
Are those rear shafts 6mm at the pin? If so I have some brand new 12mm hexes I'd gladly mail out.

Yeah. I’m gonna try drilling out some axial hexes in a bit. If they don’t work out I’ll message you.

WHITE-TRASH 12-05-2018 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nabil (Post 5889771)
Yeah. I’m gonna try drilling out some axial hexes in a bit. If they don’t work out I’ll message you.

Groovy, just remember to hold your tongue juuuuust right and the hole will be straight.

Almighty Malach 12-05-2018 10:59 PM

#makeRCCgreatagain

Nabil 12-05-2018 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Almighty Malach (Post 5889787)
#makeRCCgreatagain

We just need more people posting builds...

WHITE-TRASH 12-05-2018 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nabil (Post 5889789)
We just need more people posting builds...

Then I'm out 'cause I don't build shit. I buy all my rigs used and run them as/is. :roll:

Nabil 12-05-2018 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH (Post 5889790)
Then I'm out 'cause I don't build shit. I buy all my rigs used and run them as/is. :roll:

You probably built 2 trucks while typing that sentence :shock:

Nabil 12-06-2018 12:07 AM

3 Attachment(s)
So I got the axles mostly buttoned up.

Attachment 377306

Rear axle ended up being a touch under 13 ounces with the motor. Not the lightest by any means but pretty good considering it’s all metal with motors that are relatively heavy. Speaking of motors, decided to go with some 30t big wire 540s with turned down cans. After running lots of different shorter and smaller diameter motors I feel the weight loss isn’t worth the low end power and control.

Attachment 377307

For the front axle using a 13t pinion I was able to fit the servo between the tube and motor without having to grind the tube. I still need to build a servo mount but it shouldn’t be too bad to get done. I am still trying to decide between 3mm carbon or 1/8 6061, I guess that’s a problem for tomorrow though. Weight ended up being about 24.5 oz with the servo, motor, and empty loaded dice (they are going to need to be flipped around to fit with the current hub). I figure it should be about 26 oz with steering links and a servo plate. I also still have the ability to add another 4 ounces per side in tungsten when the time comes.

Attachment 377308

WHITE-TRASH 12-06-2018 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nabil (Post 5889791)
You probably built 2 trucks while typing that sentence :shock:

I wish, I'm driving so I have to settle for working out design details in my head. Tomorrow...errrr today I build. :lol:

Axles look good, been a while since I've seen a set of those tubes.

Nova's Ark 12-06-2018 05:58 AM

Great build thread Nabil! It is wonderful to be a part of a hobby where families can participate together. I'm certain your dad is going to enjoy the rig and time with you. The youth of today need to see all the different ways a family can move in healthy relationships. "thumbsup"

If I, or Crawler Innovations can help in anyway. Please contact me.

Have you had an opportunity to test out the cubed gate markers yet?

Nabil 12-06-2018 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nova's Ark (Post 5889804)
Great build thread Nabil! It is wonderful to be a part of a hobby where families can participate together. I'm certain your dad is going to enjoy the rig and time with you. The youth of today need to see all the different ways a family can move in healthy relationships. "thumbsup"

If I, or Crawler Innovations can help in anyway. Please contact me.

Have you had an opportunity to test out the cubed gate markers yet?

Thanks Eddie, of course I will let you know if I need anything. I haven’t actually had a chance to drive the last couple weeks, but I did find a bunch of vanquish weights for the cubes. We’re havimg a comp this Sunday so I will probably bring them with and see what people think.

skypyt 12-06-2018 03:35 PM

great step by step build project.
thanks

congrats for this great rig