Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Southeast > Florida

Notices

Thread: im officially a scaler now

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2011, 08:52 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default im officially a scaler now

well its official i have a scaler i have graduated from my mini to a honcho lol.

now what is the esentials to water proof this thing post pics of things u have done and list parts used please
cameraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2011, 09:08 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

yay!

well I went the route of encasing all of the electronics in Radio Shack project boxes and saddle bagging them on the sliders. others have done it as well and made it look a lot better by putting it all in one box, but I found it too tight of a fit to put it all in one, so I have the ESC in one, and the receiver and LED controller in the other

but DON'T FORGET to open up your trans and axles and generously spread some marine grade grease in there, or you'll be replacing bearings in no time!
iamsuperbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:31 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

well I'm jealous can't wait to get mine and would also be interested in people setups also if they have wheel weights.
mud_life_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:31 AM   #4
Looking for new Trails

very cool.. I use marine gresse on axles and tranny and I use liquid electrical tape on my hardware .... the project box's are good as well have used them in the past on some project's.

also some of the water proof boxs from WalMart in the sporting good section

Last edited by yoda@4x4; 11-23-2011 at 05:17 PM.
yoda@4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:18 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

i like how you used the project boxes on each side can u show me the insides and how you ran the wires through them.

also does the battery have to be water proofed or encased
Old 11-22-2011, 07:10 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameraman View Post
i like how you used the project boxes on each side can u show me the insides and how you ran the wires through them.

also does the battery have to be water proofed or encased
sure!

the box with the ESC. on this one, for the battery inputs and motor outputs, I actually just put bolts through the box, and then connected the wires to them with hole wire connectors. then for the wire leading to the receiver, I just used a servo extension, passed it through a hole in the box, and sealed it up with silicone. for the power switch, I just used a small metal switch and mounted it to the side. makes it easy to quickly take it apart and put it back together if I ever need to.

and for the box with the receiver and LED controller, I just an two servo extension wires through it for the ESC and the steering servo, then another 4 wires for the front and back LED feeds.

to seal the boxes, I'm actually just using a few hair ties that I had let over from making scale bungees. silicone on the servo extension wires where they pass through the box, silicone coating the back of the toggle switch to keep and water from making its way through the switch and into the box, and a little dielectric grease smeared around the hole before the bolts were passed through for the battery and motor connections, and I've never had even a drop of water get into the boxes, and it's been submerged MULTIPLE times and sat there for a minute or so

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 11-22-2011 at 07:13 PM.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:09 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

thanks i really appreciate you tearing it down and taking pics for me im goin to hopefully be water proof by the weekend
Old 11-24-2011, 10:41 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

oh I forgot about the battery part

I don't know about lipos as I haven't gotten into them yet, but for my NiMH I just smear some silicone on the ends, and then I encase them in electrical tape. so far so good