RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Florida (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/florida/)
-   -   Anyone near Tampa? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/florida/352735-anyone-near-tampa.html)

Dave_In_Florida 12-08-2011 03:51 PM

Anyone near Tampa?

I see most of the people active on this forum are in the Sanford area or norther Florida. Is there anyone near Tampa? I've been talking with All Scaled Out in Weekie Wachee and will be getting up to his place soon, but I know quite a few places near Tampa that would make great spots for trail riding.

Right now I have a losi MRC pro, but I'm in the planning stages for a scaler. Just not sure if I want to build one out of the MRC or go with the standard Axial.

mud_life_19 12-08-2011 05:17 PM

i ordered the new dingo kit and ill let u know what i think when it gets here but as of now its still not here :evil: been sence saturday sence i ordered it

Dave_In_Florida 12-09-2011 07:45 AM

My thing is I hate to buy a kit, then cut the frame to change the wheelbase, or move everything around to fit a scale interior in it.

My friend swears he has a few sets of TLT axles, and we should know exactly what he has in a few weeks. I may just get a set of axles from him and settle on a body so I can start building a frame and going from there.

hpirick 12-11-2011 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave_In_Florida (Post 3426570)
I see most of the people active on this forum are in the Sanford area or norther Florida. Is there anyone near Tampa? I've been talking with All Scaled Out in Weekie Wachee and will be getting up to his place soon, but I know quite a few places near Tampa that would make great spots for trail riding.

Right now I have a losi MRC pro, but I'm in the planning stages for a scaler. Just not sure if I want to build one out of the MRC or go with the standard Axial.

Im buiding a scaler out of the mrc pro right now, waiting on some parts to finish. Im using the tcs l trail chassis, which is not a direct bolt on but will work with a little mod. ill get you some pics shortly.

New Red in Ocala is having an event in January, Ocala is not to far from you.

Dave_In_Florida 12-11-2011 06:55 PM

Rick, I would love to see pics of your chassis and body setup.

I see you are in Deland. You're very lucky as that seems to be the crawler capital of Florida. I have family in Deland (cousin used to work at Stetson) and have friends in Debary. In fact I even was at the Sanford boat ramp a year or two ago for a competition. Good times.

cameraman 12-12-2011 07:38 PM

tampa rc track has a pretty cool crawler set up and yea im very interested to see ricks set up and i have a scx10 and a losi mrc i love them both

version_three 12-12-2011 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave_In_Florida (Post 3436612)
I see you are in Deland. You're very lucky as that seems to be the crawler capital of Florida. I have family in Deland (cousin used to work at Stetson) and have friends in Debary. In fact I even was at the Sanford boat ramp a year or two ago for a competition. Good times.

Deland is far from the crawler capital of Fl... I think that would have to be Gville or way down south :ror:

It does seem like there's something of a scaler revival in the area though - lots of stuff startin pop up all over the state.

ProCut 12-13-2011 05:57 PM

I'm in St Pete just picked up a venom creeper and plan on building a scale f350 crewcab.

scotty-j 12-19-2011 09:24 PM

Re: Anyone near Tampa?

Im in Largo/Seminole. I have a scaler and know 2 others with scalers. We have a good place to run over here in Pinellas. I would love to try some other places, but dont know of any.

Dave_In_Florida 12-20-2011 08:52 AM

I ordered a motor for my MRC/scaler project and USPS lost it so I'm out of commission for a while (old motor can't be used). So I have to wait for them to find this one or officially declare it lost to see what my options are. But once I get a motor I'll be glad to meet up with people at the different spots around here.

dont slow down 12-21-2011 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scotty-j (Post 3457032)
Im in Largo/Seminole. I have a scaler and know 2 others with scalers. We have a good place to run over here in Pinellas. I would love to try some other places, but dont know of any.

I'm in Clearwater, by the St. Pete airport, where do you run your scalers? I have 2 other crawlers as well, been looking for a good place to go around here.

Dave_In_Florida 12-21-2011 06:11 AM

Well, looks like a good little group is forming. Hopefully we can start meeting up.

dont slow down 12-21-2011 11:41 AM

I'd love to find a decent spot to meet everyone. There used to be a group that went to the Skyway bridge but nobody goes anymore. I have a LCC, a super, and a scaler so if there is a spot somebody knows about that would be good for any of those let me know!

scotty-j 12-21-2011 12:16 PM

Pm'd you, don't slow down

Robotboy 12-21-2011 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dont slow down (Post 3460158)
I'd love to find a decent spot to meet everyone. There used to be a group that went to the Skyway bridge but nobody goes anymore. I have a LCC, a super, and a scaler so if there is a spot somebody knows about that would be good for any of those let me know!

We have a comp at the Skyway at least once a season.
Some nice lines there "thumbsup"

dont slow down 12-21-2011 04:26 PM

Once a season? :roll: I was looking for something a little more regular than that. :ror:

ToTheMAXXcrawler 12-27-2011 08:47 PM

I know this is kind of an old thread, but im in the middle of building a independent suspension 2.2 rig. Its more for trails and light rock crawling, its not the greatest thing in the world, its not the prettiest thing in the world, but....ill run it lol I`ll join a get together some time. Im only in the Lutz area. "thumbsup"

Dave_In_Florida 12-28-2011 07:21 AM

I'm right down the road from you in Odessa.

scotty-j 12-28-2011 07:25 AM

found another place in Pinellas County this weekend. Was fun, might not be fore everyone but would definitely kill a few hours out of a day. plus there is a great spot for rock crawlers, which I dont have.

Here is a quick video of my truck running around.

SCX10 Honcho playing in the water - YouTube

Dave_In_Florida 12-28-2011 07:26 AM

That looks like a cool spot. I guess I need to work on waterproofing HAHA.

scotty-j 12-28-2011 07:57 AM

waterproofing is easy. just get a waterproof esc, brushed motor and silicon your receiver box shut. thats all I did, so far so good. oh and make sure you have no holes in your wheels...dont want your tires filling up with water and ruining your foams.

scotty-j 12-28-2011 08:35 AM

January 8th I plan to go out trailing/crawling. Would love to have some more folk join in. I have two pretty good places for scalers over here in Pinellas. I start pretty early, 8:30-9am. I plan to hit up two different places, second place that I go that day is where you would need to be waterproofed. this location also has a excellent crawling area with large rock areas.

anyone want to join, pm me.

Dave_In_Florida 12-28-2011 04:02 PM

I would love to but I will be on a cruise and won't have a motor in my crawler yet :(

ToTheMAXXcrawler 12-29-2011 10:50 AM

Well Dave_in_florida, let me know if you want to and we can get together some day. I should have my 2.2 project running and possibly be buying another 2.2 scaler hopefully also all this weekend. I wouldnt mind getting together with some Tampa area based people that are into crawling. "thumbsup"

Dave_In_Florida 12-29-2011 10:54 AM

Aweasome. I found a motor at the hobbytown in Brandon so I'm headed out there now. I'll let you guys know when I'm back in town so we can set something up.

Dave_In_Florida 12-30-2011 10:34 PM

Me and 2 friends took some rigs to the Tampa Indoor R/C track. For all of my comments check out their thread in this forum. It was very fun and challenging.

wmartinlsmith 01-02-2012 06:04 PM

scott just likes to play in the water like every other kid who got told to kep his rcs clean. had fun killing hoss with you today scott. going to be built better and stronger now..

brianpeckham 01-06-2012 06:42 PM

When are you going out again for crawling Scotty-J? I live in Largo off of East Bay Dr!

scotty-j 01-08-2012 09:19 PM

i dont think I'll be able to go till the 22nd. PM me next week and I'll give you a definite answer.

dont slow down 01-14-2012 07:23 AM

Hey guys, moved back to Clearwater and finally got my stuff out of storage. Glad to have all my RCs back and I'm in the process of getting my hobby area set up and going to start reviving all my stuff. Once I get everything up and running I'd love to meet up for some crawling.

ToTheMAXXcrawler 01-23-2012 02:11 PM

Im game in case anyone wants to meet up some time. I just got my 1.9 scaler up and running and im working on getting all the details worked out with my 2.2 project, so im game also! "thumbsup"

BORN_TO_CRAW 01-26-2012 12:23 PM

Hey guys,Im in Sarasota and been thinking of opening a indoor crawler park..any inputs

yoda@4x4 01-26-2012 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BORN_TO_CRAW (Post 3527417)
Hey guys,Im in Sarasota and been thinking of opening a indoor crawler park..any inputs

1. price to get in
2. size of indoor squre footage
3 and i would say if your building it for CRAWLERS make it challenging so that they will come back for more..

Robotboy 01-26-2012 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yoda@4x4 (Post 3527584)
3 and i would say if your building it for CRAWLERS make it challenging so that they will come back for more..

X2, You'd want it big and super challenging. If it's something you could
make in your backyard they're not going to come back. Especially if they're
paying for it. :mrgreen:

BORN_TO_CRAW 01-27-2012 07:11 AM

No,this isn't going to be a back yard course..A warehouse about 6000 sqt or so.In Sarasota.Mix of rock comp and trails.

BONDONUTZ 01-29-2012 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scotty-j (Post 3472012)
January 8th I plan to go out trailing/crawling. Would love to have some more folk join in. I have two pretty good places for scalers over here in Pinellas. I start pretty early, 8:30-9am. I plan to hit up two different places, second place that I go that day is where you would need to be waterproofed. this location also has a excellent crawling area with large rock areas.

anyone want to join, pm me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmartinlsmith (Post 3481798)
scott just likes to play in the water like every other kid who got told to kep his rcs clean. had fun killing hoss with you today scott. going to be built better and stronger now..

We ben hitting the spot off 66st and BryanD RD, Bill and I and another friend all have Wraiths and ben havin' a feking blast with them.
Were prob going out again next Sun, why dont you guys meet us out there ?

Bob Zombie's first run - YouTube
HOSS - YouTube

dont slow down 03-31-2012 02:13 PM

I'm going to try and revive this thread and see if you guys are still around. After a couple months of getting a schedule down, wife finding a job, and getting my RC's going again I'd like to find a place and group to go with. Let's get a roll call going and see who is in the area now and let's get something going. "thumbsup"

dont slow down 03-31-2012 02:14 PM

I'm subscribing to this thread so I get notified when you guys respond. :mrgreen:

Dave_In_Florida 03-31-2012 02:17 PM

I'm in a similar boat. I finished school, got a job making decent money, so I'm ready to play. I have a stock MRC for now, but want to either build it into a scaler or buy an Axial and transform it into a scaler.

BTW, my job is in Clearwater (Belleair Rd) but I work overnights, so we may be able to figure out a compromise. In another thread on this forum, there's a guy that is moving to Clearwater soon and he wants to build some things in his back yard, plus he owns an online hobby shop, so that's a plus :D

dont slow down 03-31-2012 02:25 PM

Haha that's funny. I work an overnight shift too. 11pm till 7am, go home and sleep till 12-2ish. The wife started working and I will have some afternoons free while she is working. I saw the other thread about that other guy, but not till June or so? I actually just listed my LCC for sale because I haven't used it in over a year. Maybe I'll hold onto it for now. I also have a super and a scaler.