Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Formula Offroad

Notices

Thread: Hot Wheels Inspired Formula Offroad

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2010, 04:11 PM   #21
Rock Stacker

That is the 3rd most epic build ive seen on this forum.
SpikeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2010, 04:24 PM   #22
Rock Crawler

thats bad ass!!
NEW YORK BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:36 PM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeX View Post
That is the 3rd most epic build ive seen on this forum.
I agree top 5 for sure. Just curious what is 1st & 2nd
chongdigga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 12:58 PM   #24
I joined the Band!

Dude I just tried out a HPI 15 Turn/Esc Combo from a Blitz. Got here from KrawlerKing at a Great Price. I personally do not see the need to go any faster. No video but I found a pretty steep dirt hil at a construction site. This thing bounce all the way to the top. Plenty fast. I even heard clicking when bouncing????? Need to look into that, thinking of switching to a softer spring, it is a little stiff right now. Also got a 17 turn in the deal. Might step up to a 7 cell will be plenty happy with that. Hope to get some Vid tommorow before they flatten the hill. Oh yeah used a 20 tooth pinion. I think the Spur is a 90 tooth.
skullking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 04:37 PM   #25
Rock Stacker

Where you runnin? Hit me up I wanna see it first hand!
SpikeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 04:58 PM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullking View Post
Dude I just tried out a HPI 15 Turn/Esc Combo from a Blitz. Got here from KrawlerKing at a Great Price. I personally do not see the need to go any faster. No video but I found a pretty steep dirt hil at a construction site. This thing bounce all the way to the top. Plenty fast. I even heard clicking when bouncing????? Need to look into that, thinking of switching to a softer spring, it is a little stiff right now. Also got a 17 turn in the deal. Might step up to a 7 cell will be plenty happy with that. Hope to get some Vid tommorow before they flatten the hill. Oh yeah used a 20 tooth pinion. I think the Spur is a 90 tooth.

Ahhh the infamous WK clicking sound. Its either the final drives (Diffs) or the "clicker" gear in the tranny. (middle gear) Gotta get HD diffs and prob the aluminum tranny gears. Unless you can work something out with Snoopmaxx.
Old 03-07-2010, 12:35 PM   #27
I joined the Band!

test Vid 2 is up I dropped a 15 turn HPI Firebolt motor from a Blitz in there. Plenty Pleased with torque and wheel speed. Next I am going to run a 7 cel 8.4 volt and I think I will be quite happy with that. Chassis still needs ome fine tuning adjustments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoQw5...&feature=email
Old 03-10-2010, 05:01 PM   #28
I joined the Band!

I am having a Chassis Laser Cut out of 1/8" Alum. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Excited about that!!! I am working on a Slipper Set up also. It's going to be awhile before I am up and running again, With that nice new PERFECT Chassis I am going to take my time rebuilding. I might put the Prototype Chassis in the classifieds
Old 03-10-2010, 07:18 PM   #29
Quarry Creeper

Sounds awesome! Cant wait to see the final product. Is the motor still going to stick out of the hood? Dont take too long building because summer is just around the corner and you are in need of an Foff beach vacation. Good luck with the build and keep us posted.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:47 AM   #30
I joined the Band!

Yeah Everything should basicly be the same. I did make the front a tad longer so the Battery would sit flush behind the servo instead of on top of it.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:46 AM   #31
Rock Stacker

DUDE that looks SICK!!
racerx26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:07 AM   #32
Pebble Pounder

very nice vid makes me want to build one... i like the idea..
RockGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:14 AM   #33
Rock Crawler

Nice, really makes me want to make one. excellent build.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skullking View Post
Going to keep it brushed. Brushless/Lipo is too much money for me right now. Thanx
For what you are looking for ESC wise ... try the Probaots 4.8-12V esc. It has an instant reverse but no drag brake so it just goes nuetral when off throttle. same as just letting off the throttle at the end of a run.
For this type of rig it would be perfect and still allow higher voltages when you want. and at ~$39 they are pretty cheap.
http://www.proboatmodels.com/Product...ProdID=PRB2314
Being fully waterproof is also a plus. I've been using one in a basher crawler for a few months now. works pretty good.

PM me if you still have/wanna sell the rooster.

Last edited by Rockfrog; 03-11-2010 at 10:24 AM.
Rockfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:31 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockfrog View Post

For what you are looking for ESC wise ... try the Probaots 4.8-12V esc. It has an instant reverse but no drag brake so it just goes nuetral when off throttle. same as just letting off the throttle at the end of a run.
For this type of rig it would be perfect and still allow higher voltages when you want. and at ~$39 they are pretty cheap.
Being fully waterproof is also a plus. I've been using one in a basher crawler for a few months now. works pretty good.

Instant reverse meaning it has no brakes? (makes sense for a boat.... but I dont know for a car....)

Price is great... and apparently you can run a 3S lipo with it....
OptimusV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:11 PM   #35
Rock Crawler

Instant reverse meaning no reverse delay. So just imagine a rooster crawler without the drag brake.
They've been pretty popular with the trail runner/scaler crowd. You can mimic brake effect by simply feathering the throttle to reverse.
I just mentioned it because a drag brake is really only a plus in crawling, and he mentioned not wanting it, and being on a budget.

It's really no different than using a non-crawler esc

Last edited by Rockfrog; 03-11-2010 at 01:14 PM.
Rockfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 02:52 PM   #36
I joined the Band!

Quote:

Cool Thanx! Have to check into that. Yeah Drag Brake would suck for what I am doing. If I get stuck or something I just let off and Roll backwards. For Breaking down hill just feather reverse. Just got a 7 cell 4600 Pack for the little Booger. Still waiting on the Chassis.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:33 PM   #37

Quote:
Instant reverse meaning no reverse delay. So just imagine a rooster crawler without the drag brake.
They've been pretty popular with the trail runner/scaler crowd. You can mimic brake effect by simply feathering the throttle to reverse.
I just mentioned it because a drag brake is really only a plus in crawling, and he mentioned not wanting it, and being on a budget.

It's really no different than using a non-crawler esc
Then its great... basically a Traxxas XL-5 (waterproof), but cheaper, and you can run 3S lipos..... its a winner!
OptimusV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 06:36 PM   #38
I joined the Band!

[/QUOTE]PM me if you still have/wanna sell the rooster.[/QUOTE]

I sold the rooster already, sorry
Old 03-14-2010, 07:59 AM   #39
I joined the Band!

Worked on a Slipper and found this to be pretty easy. 1st I bought the BLITZ Slipper Clutch with the BLITZ Top Shaft. The top shaft is the same size diameter as the Crawler King just set up different. All you have to do is cut a grove for the E Clip, I used a dremmel tool. Then drill a new hole for the pin that holds the gear in place. That's it, Cover still fits on also. Going to pick up a Spur gear today. Also I locked up the Clicker Gear, I Used Shock spacers and JB Weld to do this.

Old 03-14-2010, 08:16 AM   #40
Pebble Pounder

man thats sweet! bet it tears it up!
crashmurray is offline   Reply With Quote