Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Formula Offroad

Notices

Thread: FOFF experts ? - would this setup be good for a FoFF'er

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2011, 08:09 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default FOFF experts ? - would this setup be good for a FoFF'er

So....we got my nephew a Honcho for xmas and he loves crawling, mudding and trail running. A couple of weeks ago he asks if I think we could trade his brushless stampede for a comp style crawler. I figured sure for maybe an ax10 or creeper, but came across a tube crawler (99% sure it was built by a member here) and made the trade. Got it a couple of days ago and as soon as I opened the box I knew it probably wouldn't crawl very good. A loooong wheelbase and low clearance do not a good crawler setup make. Between my ignorance of comp crawling setups and the seller's bad cell phone pics I made the trade based on the electronics, trans and axles, plus my nephew's excitement. With about 5 minutes of wheeltime my fears were confirmed.....it crawls like crap. His honcho easily outcrawls it in all conditions. So after looking it over and contemplating all the changes I'm going to have to make for it to crawl decent, I run across the Formula off road thread. After showing him pics and videos of FOFF'ers, he loves them. Sooooo......do you guys think this setup would work good as a FOFF truck? I know they usually have long wheelbases and this truck has that for sure. It has venom creeper axles and trans. Here's a pic of it, yes it's pink . Are we just some paddles and a brushless system away from a good FOFF truck or will we need to make other adjustments to the suspension (I know I'll have to adjust shock oil weight and maybe springs). It has RC4WD shocks with internal springs on it right now. Will they work okay on this style rig or is an adjustable, external spring shock a better choice?
Would love some opinions of what you guys think.

gapjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2011, 11:15 AM   #2
TSK
Shelf queen

That thing will be rubbish. you should give me $5 for taking that off your hands

In honesty, It looks like it'll be more than suffice. U think the ride height looks good from the side. You want it low, but not belly dragging. The long wheelbase will be of benefit, and there is a build thread in here where the guy is using the venom trans and axle, so you should have no problems getting this into a more than capable FOFF'er.

Paddles and brushless

** Disclaimer: I am not an FOFF expert or expert of any kind.

Last edited by TSK; 03-24-2011 at 11:29 AM.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:33 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

That looks like it do the trick! As stated above, I am by far an expert, just a mere tinkerer with my rcs. But paddles and brushless, maybe some extensions to widen it a bit, but it may just be a mean sob with those tires on hard dirt hills
Hvrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 04:58 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Yeah, the "foff expert" in the title was purposely put with a question mark because I didn't really think there was an expert on foff rc design. It was more tongue in cheek.
Anyway....I've been reading up and think it'll probably work. I guess we'll see .
gapjr is offline   Reply With Quote