Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Formula Offroad

Notices

Thread: FOFF Jim, no wait - Jim’s FOFF

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2011, 10:10 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default FOFF Jim, no wait - Jim’s FOFF

So after looking a Bender’s FOFF thread and realizing I had a similar setting with sand behind my house down by the river I decided I had to have one of these damn things too. I am taking one of my original crawlers, which I was planning on selling, and turning into one of these.

My wife is out tonight, the kids are in bed, so I am taking over the kitchen table to see what I can piece together.

jlsandkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2011, 11:53 PM   #2
RCC Addict

well, is it done yet????
Where are you talking about in Sacramento. I live near Antelope/Foothill area and will be building one this week so if you are interested in running in your area pm me.
rockhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 12:11 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Not too bad, now I will need to get into my box of links to see what I can come up with.

Old 03-26-2011, 12:18 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhugger View Post
well, is it done yet????
Where are you talking about in Sacramento. I live near Antelope/Foothill area and will be building one this week so if you are interested in running in your area pm me.

I am right by Sac State, it might be a little while before my spot is available as the river is up twenty plus feet. Hopefully there will be a few people in the Sacramento area building these things.
Old 03-26-2011, 12:27 AM   #5
RCC Addict

looks good, what tires you gonna run?

I would guess a few weeks for the water to subside. it's crazy how much water has hit the ground lately.

the lake is another great option.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:30 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Ok, made some more progress last night. Surprisingly I had some old leftover RC4WD links from a super build that gave me the setup I was looking for. As you can see I am using a bunch of green bling that have had sitting around forever. I am not crazy about red shocks but that is all I could find and I am trying to build this thing out of parts I already have. Not sure mounting the rear links on the axles the way I did is going to holdup, but I couldn’t find a four link mount in parts pile.

Old 03-26-2011, 07:45 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhugger View Post
looks good, what tires you gonna run?

I would guess a few weeks for the water to subside. it's crazy how much water has hit the ground lately.

the lake is another great option.
These seem to be what most people are suggesting, so I am going to have to breakdown a spend a little money (taken from TURTLE's tread):

Panther Paddle (rim size 2.2", 3.8" outer Dia., width 2")

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXNPT2&P=ML
Old 03-26-2011, 09:31 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Look great so far just 1 ? are you running the front longer then the back for a reason i did the oposite on the one i built.
MR.VERTICAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 11:09 AM   #9
RCC Addict

that looks sweet. ummm that's one hell of a spare parts bin you have there
I agree with the rear links not holding up. The posts on that housing will break straight away, especially under high horse applications. I broke the same setup on a crawler in less than 5 min.

just use a spare servo plate to tie them together and drill 2 new holes for your four link.

I started my spare parts dig through last night and sorted out the axles and the trans to build this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsandkes View Post
Not sure mounting the rear links on the axles the way I did is going to holdup, but I couldn’t find a four link mount in parts pile.

Last edited by rockhugger; 03-26-2011 at 11:13 AM.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:26 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Thats a terible mess of spare parts.. If you have some more of that spare junk layin around you could aways send me some.. lol And those shocks dont match so you should just give them to me as well... I hate have to take them off your hands but they just dont match at all...lmao

I wish I could just dig in the junk pile and build some thing like that... Looks sweet and It should be hella lotta fun, cant wait to see some vids or action pics
buggynutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 01:58 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Thanks to everyone for positive comments. I will have to see how much more I can get done tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.VERTICAL View Post
Look great so far just 1 ? are you running the front longer then the back for a reason i did the opposite on the one i built.
Once I saw Bender's build I had it in my mind I was going to build something similar to what he did. I also saw your build (looks great) and logically stretching rear really does seem to make more sense but like I said I was already fixated on doing it this way. I am hoping that having all the electronics ahead of the transmission will provide the weight bias necessary for one of these things to perform, but until I run it I wont know. Actually, I really wont know until I have something to compare it to.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:01 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Had a couple hours to mess with it, my brilliant plan to mount all the electronics ahead of the transmission didn’t exactly work out, I underestimated how much space the VXL-3S would take up. Since I didn’t have a four link, I took rockhugger’s suggestion and use a spare servo plate, trimmed it up and installed it for the added support. The only thing I found that may be useful for others to know is the Velineon motor’s end cap hits the upper link. On Bender rig he changed the point that the upper links attaches to the frame. I didn’t want to do that so I raised the transmission to get the necessary clearance.

One question I do have is, are you guys running weight in the front wheels?

Please give me any other suggestions you have. Thanks.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:11 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Wow that's some parts bin you got there. It looks great so far, keep up the good work. Subscribed.!
THE CRAWLER KING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 08:33 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

i dont run any weight in my foff rims. i do run a 2s 5000mah batt up front and thats all the weight i need. i installed the stock "dust box" behind the trans. and mounted my vxl on top of the rear brace, between the shock mounts. ill have to start a thread now since i discovered that they have a FOFF section.
ax10newguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 07:27 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Looks real good there bud.

Don't run any weight in the wheels. They will need to be as balanced as possible and light for the speed they turn and the weights will hurt what you want them to do.

Put your weight in the battery up front as stated before. Seems to work the best.

Nice lookin rig.

JC
skid plate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:11 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Hey your rig looks great. I have to agree with everyone else tho. Your parts bin is incredible, all nice and shiny not a scratch on anything Now I have a suggestion, get that shiny parts pile done and get it dirty
irok22s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:58 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Well I have gotten about as far as I can get without shelling out a few bucks. I did find a 20t pinion but I had to order the tires and a servo wire extension. The parts should be delivered this week so maybe I can get some video this weekend. I guess I will have to run it without the Axial Transmission Spur Gear Cover as it is backordered. It looks like I should have it in a couple weeks so hopefully I won’t screw anything up in the meantime.

I have a couple more questions:

Are you guys venting your wheels?

Currently my wheelbase is a little over 14.5” which seems longer than what everyone is running, will that cause any negative affects (do I need to shorten it)?

Old 03-28-2011, 10:48 AM   #18
RCC Addict

I've been wanting to ask this anyway...why is everyone making their rigs with such long wheelbases? The vids I've seen on youtube (mostly) appear to have shorter wb rigs running (actual vehicles, not rc).

There were a few of the unlimited rigs that looked a bit longer but the majority appear to have a shorter wb. Does FOFF have a rule on what the min/max wb must be?
brianw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:51 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

The post "what is foff" has the rules on wb limits
I think mod is 9-13.5"
Unlimited class after that.

But you know us Americans, big motors, big cars, screw fuel efficiency.

As they stated above.... Your parts bin alone looks nicer then my cars

Last edited by Hvrc; 03-28-2011 at 11:53 AM.
Hvrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:33 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

I'm have 1 hole in the rims also running the foams that came with the tires. gearing 22t 87t we'll see how that works.
MR.VERTICAL is offline   Reply With Quote