Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Formula Offroad

Notices

Thread: Califormula offroad - a new addiction

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2014, 12:35 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Califormula offroad - a new addiction

This started out as an idea to put a hot brushless motor in my scx10 and throw some paddles on it, now it's turned into a parts search and I think I R ready to start something here.

With so many ways to go I really don't have a idea laid out as far as looks, just for it to be a light, nimble, stupid fast fun machine. I have done my research on the forum so I know to beef up the drivetrain so that is a no brainer. I'll start giving some specs on what electronics it will start with.

Mamba Max Pro esc
1410 3800kv castle motor
Hitec servo yada yada spektrum radio

Scx10/ax10 parts and drivetrain all a mix of what I've got together

Scx axles - Beef Tubes - Locked Up spools - stock ratio gears(plan to put overdrives in front and rear) but honestly don't see any reason to yet. Front axle has axial cvd's and I upgraded the pin to a larger size.

Wheels are wraith trail ready 2.2s with VP 850 SLW hubs and either panther paddles or proline sand paws.

For the chassis layout I just don't know which way to go but I am liking the idea of a pod type chassis like the ax10 one I've got here.

Thanks for looking so far, I can't wait to get her built up.

Last edited by BuhBoombuh; 04-27-2014 at 12:06 AM.
BuhBoombuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2014, 01:23 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Califormula offroad - a new addiction

Starting some layout plans and I think the chassis of the ax10 should be a great platform to start with. Will keep it light and the weight centralized.

Finding the right link length for lowers and uppers is proving difficult although this chassis will only have a half to 3/4 inch of suspension travel.

Mostly waiting for parts to come in so I can get the axles back together and the transmission.

Is lighter going to be better in F-off style driving? Or do I want to go for a low CG and weight up front?

Here's what got me started into this build - first trigger pull going up a hill with a 17.5 in my scx10 and I wanted more. http://youtu.be/HUTPJiL6CNk

Then I turned an ax10 into a sand truck with little modifications - http://youtu.be/pgxzZE-zMGY

Some pics from today - got my motor in and transmission finished. Got a good start on layout and just need to receive my beeftubes for the axles for final layout mockup.
I can't wait to run this beast!

The wheel and tire package with 850 slw hubs.

Last edited by BuhBoombuh; 04-27-2014 at 12:17 AM.
Old 04-28-2014, 01:43 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Beef tubes coming in today, so the next steps will be final fitment of the axles and finding a body.

But meanwhile I took an idea from a member and his Foff machine - master blaster ... Cut out a blast plate from some nice thin aluminum for the ax10, simple and effective. Still have to line up the upper links to make there holes ;) don't think I forgot

Last edited by BuhBoombuh; 04-28-2014 at 03:12 PM.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:27 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Managed to get it completely together, taking measurements in length and width it's not going to be long enough 12 3/4"

Scx10 axles with wraith 12mill hex + 850slw hubs +Wraith trail ready 2.2Width is 10 3/4" outside to outside. Now that's asking for trouble right..

Doesn't look half bad with the scorpion body on it..

Tags
ax10, castle 1410, for sale, sand truck

Califormula offroad - a new addiction - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[OFFROAD BUGGY VIDEOS] Losi Short course buggies SCT offroad racing trucks @ Segar Tr boolean21 Scale Videos! 0 11-25-2013 06:34 AM
Team Associated T4.1 Truggy and Duratrax Baja Bug at the offroad Track RC offroad adv boolean21 Scale Videos! 0 04-16-2013 11:12 AM
Addiction Got_Demo Tires and Wheels 0 03-04-2013 07:25 PM
My addiction.. bnoland Rally 21 04-05-2011 09:09 PM