Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > G-Made Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Shane's GMade R1 Rock Buggy Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2010, 10:46 PM   #21
Rock Crawler

no no...

the Mods? thing was for the Moderators to add a GMADE Section to the forum...

Nice looking rig i want to get me one!
Twiztid Metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2010, 08:53 AM   #22
Moderator Rule Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiztid Metal View Post
no no...

the Mods? thing was for the Moderators to add a GMADE Section to the forum...

Nice looking rig i want to get me one!
Maybe this will help you out.
Gmade Specific Section
eric113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 04:03 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Default Parts arrival

Got ripper7777777's parts in today. Quality machine work and fast shipping. And included new hardware! All this for $45 shipped!
I'll get them installed in a day or so.

Front Battery plate with 4 link setup
Rear axle plate with 4 link setup
Inboarded link Skid
Bent lower links
Longer hardware for axle plates.

And I think I have decided on a Traxxas VXL-3S ESC. It runs brushed and sensored/sensorless brushless as well and it's waterproof. And I'll start with a Venom 13d and go from there.
Attached Images

Last edited by Szczerba; 05-24-2010 at 04:17 PM.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:39 PM   #24
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane_744 View Post
And I think I have decided on a Traxxas VXL-3S ESC. It runs brushed and sensored/sensorless brushless as well and it's waterproof. And I'll start with a Venom 13d and go from there.
Unless you have one lying around I wouldn't. That ESC will not run sensored motors (unless you mean in unsensored mode) and I've never heard that it runs brushed. Also it has no drag brake settings in case you ever want to take it on the rocks. There are much better options than that for the same price if you are buying new.
Knitewulfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:55 AM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knitewulfe View Post
Unless you have one lying around I wouldn't. That ESC will not run sensored motors (unless you mean in unsensored mode) and I've never heard that it runs brushed. Also it has no drag brake settings in case you ever want to take it on the rocks. There are much better options than that for the same price if you are buying new.
welp, looks like I forgot to do my research cause I just bought a new one for $75. I didn't even think about the drag brake! . Guess I'l have to up the throttle EPA for some drag. Son of a b.....

It says it runs, brushed, sensored and unsensored motors. But yeah, I read about running sensored motors without the sensor plug attached. I was just looking for something that could run brushed or brushless that wasn't over $100. I think the sidewinder might be an option but I don't know much about running it in different brushed/brushless modes.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:58 AM   #26
Suck it up!

Quote:
I think the sidewinder might be an option but I don't know much about running it in different brushed/brushless modes.
There isn't much to know other than it'll do either, but isn't sensored.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:10 AM   #27
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
welp, looks like I forgot to do my research cause I just bought a new one for $75. I didn't even think about the drag brake! . Guess I'l have to up the throttle EPA for some drag. Son of a b.....

It says it runs, brushed, sensored and unsensored motors. But yeah, I read about running sensored motors without the sensor plug attached. I was just looking for something that could run brushed or brushless that wasn't over $100. I think the sidewinder might be an option but I don't know much about running it in different brushed/brushless modes.
The sidewinder works great for this application
Steve Hipsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:12 AM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
There isn't much to know other than it'll do either, but isn't sensored.
Yeah, I just had read if you want it in brushed mode, the reverse is disabled. but that cannot be true.
Guess I will have a brand new VXL-3S on the market and looking for a sidewinder!
Old 05-25-2010, 08:28 AM   #29
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hipsley View Post
The sidewinder works great for this application
Yep, I screwed up on this one.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:29 AM   #30
Suck it up!

Quote:
Yeah, I just had read if you want it in brushed mode, the reverse is disabled. but that cannot be true.
Not true at all.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:35 AM   #31
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Very cool build Shane. I can see why you parted out the Toyota. Where's the new pictures of this build? Hasn't it been on the rocks yet
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:52 AM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova's Ark View Post
Very cool build Shane. I can see why you parted out the Toyota. Where's the new pictures of this build? Hasn't it been on the rocks yet
Thanks. Just seemed like cool little bashing/crawling rig.
Had it out at Disney at the Double Down. I was a judge so I didn't get to run it too much but when I did it was full throttle!
It is currently apart right now. Put on the new axle plates and skid last night. I'll get some pictures this weekend at our NWARC comp and maybe some video. Still working on the right electronics combo.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:47 PM   #33
I wanna be Dave

on the vxl esc,you can run sensored brushless motors,couple of racers
@ here use the novaks on them. "plug port on front of the esc"

..what ive been told anyway..

id go with the sidewinder anyway,
castlelink-welcome to adjustablity with ease!
ROLANDROCKSHOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 05:23 PM   #34
Quarry Creeper

yes the vxl esc is sensored. i run a novak 13.5t on mine in my slash. it works pretty good. i have actually had better luck with it then sidewinders. I've fried 3 sidewinder escs in a month but the vxl has a higher amp rating so it wont even get warm.. granted the castle software is better but software doesn't mean much when it starts smoking
NSR_CIVIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 06:10 PM   #35
Pebble Pounder

The vxl is sensored? That's news to me. I have only used the vxl-3m though not the 3s.

Still no drag brake or instant reverse.

The sidewinder has a brushed motor limit in forward/reverse mode of like 19t I think. With forward only you have "high power brushless mode" which is unlimited turn.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:27 PM   #36
On the lookout for Rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knitewulfe View Post
The vxl is sensored? That's news to me. I have only used the vxl-3m though not the 3s.
Sensored brushless motors
The VXL-3s is fully compatible with sensored brushless motors. Sensor motors use an additional sensor installed in the motor to communicate rotor position to the speed control. The VXL-3s features a covered auxiliary port that accepts aftermarket motor sensors on the front face of the unit. The VXL-3s has built-in Sensor Motor Backup Protection to prevent damage if the sensor leads or phase leads become disconnected. If a sensor lead becomes damaged or is disconnected, the VXL-3s automatically switches to sensorless brushless operation.
The VXL-3s also features Sensor Phase Detection. When a sensored brushless motor is connected, the VXL-3s will check for proper wiring. If the motor phase wiring is incorrect, the VXL-3s will not apply power to the motor until it is wired correctly.
constantmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:38 PM   #37
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by constantmotion View Post
Sensored brushless motors
The VXL-3s is fully compatible with sensored brushless motors. Sensor motors use an additional sensor installed in the motor to communicate rotor position to the speed control. The VXL-3s features a covered auxiliary port that accepts aftermarket motor sensors on the front face of the unit. The VXL-3s has built-in Sensor Motor Backup Protection to prevent damage if the sensor leads or phase leads become disconnected. If a sensor lead becomes damaged or is disconnected, the VXL-3s automatically switches to sensorless brushless operation.
The VXL-3s also features Sensor Phase Detection. When a sensored brushless motor is connected, the VXL-3s will check for proper wiring. If the motor phase wiring is incorrect, the VXL-3s will not apply power to the motor until it is wired correctly.
Cool, that's good to know. Too bad they don't make an adjustable drag brake and reverse settings, it would be a great esc.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:17 PM   #38
I wanna be Dave

Finished up installing the Ripper7777777 skid, axles plates and lower links. Only thing I had to do was to make some shorter front upper links (~78mm) and put some standoffs on top of the link plate.
No binding during the flex cycle.
Attached Images

Old 05-25-2010, 10:16 PM   #39
Pebble Pounder

That thing looks awesome! The ground clearance is ridiculous. I was planning on focusing on my creeper as my main crawler and the r1 as kind of a off-road trail basher, but I think I might focus on tuning it to be a dedicated crawler after all. With those axle plates and some tires it won't take much.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:57 AM   #40
I wanna be Dave

It will be a crawler/basher for me.
I think it could be a decent crawler using Ripper7777777's upgrades, better tires with weight up front, narrow up the width a bit with different wheel offsets, and address the torque twist (i moved one rear link on top of the rear axle plate). And some shocks that dont leak.

I got a refund on the vxl-3s and ordered a sidewinder. I have a 27T stock motor I will throw in there when the esc arrives.

Last edited by Szczerba; 05-26-2010 at 07:29 AM.