Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > G-Made Crawlers

Notices

Thread: How do you like your R1s

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2011, 07:58 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default How do you like your R1s

I am primarily a scaler guy and recenlty built a Berg. Found out real quick that it is not for me. As I am an occasional comp type and I mainly build for my own fun, the Berg has become a money pit. It seems if you want to get competative, you need a grand to basically replace everyting except for the gear cases and even those need to be clocked and shaved.

So, how do you like the R1, I have always liked the JunFac stuff I have for my scalers and was thinking of getting an R1 so I have a comp truck and dumping the Berg.

My expectations is not that the R1 would do all that the Berg does, just provide me with a good shaftey for the sportsman class.
neillarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2011, 08:50 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

i think that if you're not expecting too much from it you shouldnt be disappointed.... its not the best for sure but with some setting up it does perform and give results....and definitely looks much nicer than the rest
adrians3109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:38 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by neillarson View Post
I am primarily a scaler guy and recenlty built a Berg. Found out real quick that it is not for me. As I am an occasional comp type and I mainly build for my own fun, the Berg has become a money pit. It seems if you want to get competative, you need a grand to basically replace everyting except for the gear cases and even those need to be clocked and shaved.

So, how do you like the R1, I have always liked the JunFac stuff I have for my scalers and was thinking of getting an R1 so I have a comp truck and dumping the Berg.

My expectations is not that the R1 would do all that the Berg does, just provide me with a good shaftey for the sportsman class.
I came from a scale background myself, and 4 months ago purchased a R1. I will have to say, it is so fun to bash around with. Top-end on 3s, cruising through the trails is a blast. It looks so cool. I have beaten the snot out of it, and she holds up great. No serious issues yet, and I have over 50 packs through it.

I would definitely get new tires. I have Super Swampers and they are great. Nice and sticky, and look killer. Get a 3S battery for more top-end, but 2s is good too. A 27-45T are what most people run. Some like these things to be a little faster like a 1:1 rock racer (XRRA), or KOH truck, so they go with a lower turn, higher voltage set-up. I would also get new shocks... I have mine plumbers taped and upside down, and still a little leakage. the rc4wd 100mm dual springs are what I am looking at. More scale looking.

Over-all, with good tires, and a droop setting, and move the battery towards the front (mine is under the front hood) it would be a good sportsman rig. It's not designed to be a comp crawler. It's a rock racer. It's also a blast. One of my favorite truck right now.

I race truggy, so this is more my basher vehicle, and it's exactly serves it's purpose.
tedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 07:41 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Default How do you like your R1's

I got one a few months ago and it crawls great. I changed a few things on mine to crawl better, mounted the battery over the front axle, installed a dig unit,Novak Goat 3s 21.5 turn brushless system, lengthened wheelbase by 1/2 in., steel driveshafts, delrin skid that moves linkages inboard, curved linkages, Losi comp rock claw tires. I can promise it will do anything an AX10 can do and more.
blandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:40 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandon View Post
I can promise it will do anything an AX10 can do and more.
Maybe stock vs. stock using stick batteries. But with under $100 in upgrades, the AX10 will run circles around this thing. I'm not trying to troll, but that's a pretty bold statement with no qualifications at all.

I've driven one of these before, and it is a fun car, that I may consider purchasing myself.

However, as a Sportsman/Comp rig, you will find that there a couple of things you will quickly run into:

-this thing seems like it's 2 feet wide sometimes--you can swap to narrower offset wheels--but that's an added expense

-steering throw/range is so-so, which if you are in a class w/o dig, is a disadvantage

-no over/under drive gears, another disadvantage in a class w/o dig

As a rock racer/basher, I would absolutely love having one. I'm actually at a point where I don't have any comp crawlers and I am of the same sentiment as the OP regarding comps.
K.O.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:28 PM   #6

i love my r1
matter432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 01:30 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I've had my R1 a good while now and i love it i don't comp with it but i do like to give it everything when i'm out with it, since i modded the steering knuckles and added some weight to the front wheels its runs like a charm, im actually thinking of getting a second one lol
KarlP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:16 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I'm building one right now with Axial running gear for my daughter. More of a basher, but we don't comp that much around here. I used the R1 chassis because it looks more scale. I'm going for a good mix of Sportsman/Scaler.
doors4u is offline   Reply With Quote