Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > G-Made Crawlers

Notices

Thread: gmade forum slow/dead what's the deal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2010, 09:15 AM   #1

Default gmade forum slow/dead what's the deal

hey guys i've been thinkin about gettin a r1, but this forum being kinda dead make me wonder if i should. i really like what i see with the r1. how would the r1 compare with the disgustingly popular ax10? also why is the gmade forum so slow/dead?
Lawrence_0485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2010, 10:49 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence_0485 View Post
hey guys i've been thinkin about gettin a r1, but this forum being kinda dead make me wonder if i should. i really like what i see with the r1. how would the r1 compare with the disgustingly popular ax10? also why is the gmade forum so slow/dead?
I've had 2 and the R1 was my favorite by far. Make sure you get some good shafts as soon as you but it(if you do) because they pop easily under load. Other than that, its a awsome truck!
Oso787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:00 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
people may be having more fun driving them then typing about them. its a fun truck out of the box the axles are pretty good of the box. whats there to talk about? it does not really fit into any comp class so there is nothing to talk about there as far as modding for comp. and its a oddball and the manufacture support is kinda low it seems in this country..
sloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:07 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Well, it's still relatively new, so a lot of people don't have them yet. Since I got my R1, I haven't driven my scx hilux truggy once... It is a complete animal, and brings a huge grin to my face every time I plug it in. Get one.

tedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 12:24 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

yes i noticed as well that no one is really posting much here lately....i do post regularly but there is not much feedback. Would love to see what the others are doing.

just this past weekend i took part in our local rc crawling comp....it was the first time with the R1 and i did pretty well.

have a look at my thread...there are pics as well

My NEW G-Made R1

What i can say is that it needs setting up to get it competitive....wheels, tyres, shock oil, weights etc etc.

Last edited by adrians3109; 10-26-2010 at 12:30 PM.
adrians3109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 02:04 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I have had my R1 for almost 2 months now and has been trouble free with bashing every weekend. I guess people don't post much because there's not much weak points with this crawler and so they spend more time outside playing.

Here's mine over the past weekend.
brownie529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 02:21 PM   #7
WTF
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppy View Post
people may be having more fun driving them then typing about them. its a fun truck out of the box the axles are pretty good of the box. whats there to talk about? it does not really fit into any comp class so there is nothing to talk about there as far as modding for comp. and its a oddball and the manufacture support is kinda low it seems in this country..

x2

I dig my R1, Outta the box its a Rock Racer/Basher... with the right setup and driver this could make a decent comp rig... so far I'm able to follow a Creeper and a Losi everywhere but the steepest inclines (still workin out my COG)... Build thread coming soon.
WTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 06:51 PM   #8

Ok so i'm ready to order now. So what do i need to change suspension wise to make it a comp worthy rig? Are the aftermarket alluminum axle link mounts benificial, or is that just one of those shiny bling things

Last edited by Lawrence_0485; 10-26-2010 at 06:55 PM.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:03 PM   #9
R2j
SORRCA Committee Member

Dead! Pfffft! Check out Eric's TTC FJ!
R2j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:18 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

I bought some upgrades from this place. http://www.ripper7racing.com/r7r/the...ewCat&catId=11

Also the available dig unit could be good to have. Aluminum parts are mostly for bling, plastic parts are pretty durable on this truck.
brownie529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:07 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

on mine i got alum steering knuckles, alum bent links and lately i got the new delrin skid plate with internal links... I didnt do much to suspension...just replaced shock oil with better, thicker oil and changed front to droop setup.

Plastic suspension mounts wont break but will scratch on rocks etc etc. I'll replace mine with alum one when they break
Old 10-27-2010, 04:13 AM   #12
Try to Bend it

Buy it, build it, break it, better it.

They are a fun car and I love bashing mine. Launching it off a jump and drowning it wasn't much fun though. I have written in other threads that it will never stand up against a modded ax 10 and I still stand by that comment. I cant be arsed retyping it all but I have written extensive reasons in the other thread. If you can be bothered finding it.
Highlucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:04 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlucks View Post

They are a fun car and I love bashing mine. Launching it off a jump and drowning it wasn't much fun though. I have written in other threads that it will never stand up against a modded ax 10 and I still stand by that comment. I cant be arsed retyping it all but I have written extensive reasons in the other thread. If you can be bothered finding it.
well i did a search and basically you said that the r1
doesn't have near the aftermarket support
more top heavy compared to the ax10
doesn't turn as sharp

is that pretty much it, because all of that can be worked on. the main reason i didn't go with the ax10 is because they are to Damn popular and i don't wanna run the same thing everyone else has. also the r1 looks so much cooler than the ax10
Old 10-27-2010, 07:13 AM   #14
Moderator Rule Breaker

Quote:
Ok so i'm ready to order now. So what do i need to change suspension wise to make it a comp worthy rig? Are the aftermarket alluminum axle link mounts benificial, or is that just one of those shiny bling things
Like OSO787 said about the driveshafts. I would look into getting Traxxas shafts.

Then build it and start driving and then you will see where you need to modding to your liking.
eric113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:55 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
doesn't turn as sharp

is that pretty much it, because all of that can be worked on. the main reason i didn't go with the ax10 is because they are to Damn popular and i don't wanna run the same thing everyone else has. also the r1 looks so much cooler than the ax10
My R1 is way modified and it DOES run with modded AX10s. If your doesn't it needs more work.
Norcal_GIT_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:34 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlucks View Post

i remeber that thread and i totally agree!!!

highlucks did point out very good points .... you can see in my build thread that ive modded my R1 to unrecognizable status leaving only the trans and axles from the original kit ...

but as what was mentioned by highlucks is that the R1 is a good comp basher but it doesnt have any gear and transmission upgrades ... you can't do anything with the axles in performance except put all the bling stuff externally

ive tried to take away the forward and reverse slop from the portal gears but shimming them too much will just leave your axles all binded up ..

plus there is always a slack of response in the dig unit ...

dont misunderstand me .... i love my R1 and its not for sale ..... but .... it is what it is .... you wanna hang with the big boys ... get a berg, bully or an XR-10

Quote:
doesn't turn as sharp

looks cooler out of the box ... definitely!!!!!

junfac has very good customer support and they ship really fast (well ... from where im from i guess) .... just ordered a set of front and rear portal gears and it got to me in less than 7 days ...

the R1 is cool!!! its gotta be one of the coolest looking stock rigs in the market ....
strawb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:57 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

out of the box its definitely not competitive but i can assure you that with clever mods and replacing the right parts it really does improve, and yes you can compete as well with other well known crawlers then....just needs loads of fine tuning to get the right setup for you....but that's part of the fun i guess...right now i'm trying to fabricate a front axle alum battery plate and i wonder what's next then...
Old 10-27-2010, 06:48 PM   #18
Try to Bend it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcal_GIT_r View Post
My R1 is way modified and it DOES run with modded AX10s. If your doesn't it needs more work.

So how does your steering go against a super 300 setup or for that matter an ax10 with over and under drive gears.
Highlucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:35 PM   #19
RCC Addict

anyone fix the weak half shafts?
Deezul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:11 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezul View Post
anyone fix the weak half shafts?

the driveshafts???

get MIP .... or the Junfac Hardened Steel ones ...

the stock ones will break .... and break .... and break again
strawb is offline   Reply With Quote