Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > G-Made Crawlers

Notices

Thread: New to crawling, what is the best g made setup?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2010, 07:31 AM   #1

Question New to crawling, what is the best g made setup?

I just bought two G-Made R1,s and I am looking for the best all around motor/esc/Steering servo setup. We are leaning more towards crawling than speed but it would be nice to have a good balance, with very good low speed motor control. I have not purchased any lipos for this yet but 2 or 3s would be fine.
Any help and advice is greatly appreciated.
mt92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2010, 03:23 PM   #2
WTF
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt92 View Post
I just bought two G-Made R1,s and I am looking for the best all around motor/esc/Steering servo setup. We are leaning more towards crawling than speed but it would be nice to have a good balance, with very good low speed motor control. I have not purchased any lipos for this yet but 2 or 3s would be fine.
Any help and advice is greatly appreciated.
Don't know if there is a best setup... kinda depends on personal preference... Out of the box the R1 acts more like a rock racer than a crawler, but seems just as capable either way. I have run my R1 with 35T, 45T, and 55T brushed motors with varying results. The 35T seemed to cog the portal gears at super low speeds, but I could almost backflip off dirt jumps. The 55T had great torque, great low end, but on a 2cell lipo not enough wheelspeed, maybe good on a 3cell. My favorite so far is the 45T Tekin, I have control, torque, and wheelspeed. Still need to get myself a 3cell lipo so I can compare.
I run a Tekin FX/R esc and I understand why these esc's get such great reviews, they WORK. Just make sure the speed control you get has adjustable settings with emphasis on drag brake ability, drag brakes are necessary for this rig to be a crawler.
Also G-made now offers a front battery mount tray, bent links, and a skid to inboard the lower links, Ripper 7 Racing has designed parts for the R1 as well. I run the Ripper 7 tray, links and skid, they are a very worthy upgrade, and much faster shipping than Junfac.

Ripper7Racing

Get a strong servo 200+oz/in I run a Turnigy 959 with 15kg/cm which converts over to 208oz/in. Most people run closer to 300oz/in. Just make sure its a metal gear servo with High Torque.
You will also need to upgrade the tires, the stock work great for trail runnin' but are not soft enough for most crawling. Rovers (white dot) seem to be the most popular and most capable on the widest terrain for a good price, worth the upgrade.
Be wary of the bearings in the portal gears, the stock ones blew out on me and chipped my gears.
Spend some time lurking in the axial, venom, and losi forums to get a better opinion of good shafty setups, as well as the wonderful "tips and tricks" sticky in the general crawlers forum.
READ THIS
Hope this helps and have fun with your R1...
WTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:27 AM   #3

Cool Re: New to crawling, what is the best g made setup?

Thanks for the post as a new R1 owner I've been lookingfor advice just like this
B.Knucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 02:31 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: New to crawling, what is the best g made setup?

I run wraith axles over driven in the front and under driven in the rear. Also have the universal joint front axles for better steering. The stock r1 axles are horrible for steering. I have a 7980 hitec for steering. A mmp esc and a tekin roc 412 3100kv on 3s. 9 tooth pinon gear and it is so much better then stock. Also have sedona white dot tires and bent links in rear
20140727_221142_zps4b876277.jpg Photo by tylerbing16 | Photobucket
tnt-salvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 10:15 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I want to tag something onto this. I have run 2s through the stock setup but wondering if people are burning out there r1 on 3s. This is my racer basher rig, my money goes into my moa, but i dont want to start this thing on fire or burn anything out.
Not sure what the cutoff, if any, the stock esc has. Maybe i need to add a bec? Man i dont want to spend money on this thing hehe

Thoughts?
Morbid Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 01:24 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

NM. Got home from camp and looked up the Hang Nor esc that comes stock with r1. Here is the manual.

It can only handle 2s, and has no cut off. Lucky for me I have noticed the battery stalls and shut her down for a charge w/o killing my batteries.
Morbid Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:20 AM   #7

I am very impressed with my drawback a little rigid though cheers
DirtTrixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 04:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTF View Post
Don't know if there is a best setup... kinda depends on personal preference... Out of the box the R1 acts more like a rock racer than a crawler, but seems just as capable either way. I have run my R1 with 35T, 45T, and 55T brushed motors with varying results. The 35T seemed to cog the portal gears at super low speeds, but I could almost backflip off dirt jumps. The 55T had great torque, great low end, but on a 2cell lipo not enough wheelspeed, maybe good on a 3cell. My favorite so far is the 45T Tekin, I have control, torque, and wheelspeed. Still need to get myself a 3cell lipo so I can compare.
I run a Tekin FX/R esc and I understand why these esc's get such great reviews, they WORK. Just make sure the speed control you get has adjustable settings with emphasis on drag brake ability, drag brakes are necessary for this rig to be a crawler.
Also G-made now offers a front battery mount tray, bent links, and a skid to inboard the lower links, Ripper 7 Racing has designed parts for the R1 as well. I run the Ripper 7 tray, links and skid, they are a very worthy upgrade, and much faster shipping than Junfac.

Ripper7Racing

Get a strong servo 200+oz/in I run a Turnigy 959 with 15kg/cm which converts over to 208oz/in. Most people run closer to 300oz/in. Just make sure its a metal gear servo with High Torque.
You will also need to upgrade the tires, the stock work great for trail runnin' but are not soft enough for most crawling. Rovers (white dot) seem to be the most popular and most capable on the widest terrain for a good price, worth the upgrade.
Be wary of the bearings in the portal gears, the stock ones blew out on me and chipped my gears.
Spend some time lurking in the axial, venom, and losi forums to get a better opinion of good shafty setups, as well as the wonderful "tips and tricks" sticky in the general crawlers forum.
READ THIS
Hope this helps and have fun with your R1...

Good info on the motor/ESC & tires, I initially ran the Tekin FX-R combo with a 35t as well but didn't seem to get the wheel speed you describe and have subsequently burned up two 35t HD motors.
What pinion gear were you running? I'm currently running a 18t.
ESC is great however.

Coming from giant scale gas airplanes I had some ridiculously high torque Savox servos lying around so I used them.
I'm running 4ws steer & two light bars (5 LEDS) with a ccBec and would highly recommend the mod.

Rover white dot tires

Have been running my R1 on 3s with the 18t but I'm going to try a 19t brushed on 2s and dropping the pinion down in an effort the retain the characteristics of the 3s (speed/power) yet run the 2s in hopes of longer motor life.
Plans ar

Last edited by vtlandcruiser; 01-05-2015 at 05:00 AM.
vtlandcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote