RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   G-Made Crawlers (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/g-made-crawlers/)
-   -   Novak ballistic clearance issue (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/g-made-crawlers/325997-novak-ballistic-clearance-issue.html)

Mac28 07-12-2011 03:30 PM

Novak ballistic clearance issue

I'm currently running with the Novak ballistic brushless 17t motor. Has anyone had issued where the motor sits up right against the side of the roll-cage? I have a 12t pinion and wanted to got up to a 16t or a 18t but with the 12t pinion it is already rubbing the chassis. I did a little bit of dremelling to make it fit with the 12t.

tedo 07-12-2011 08:27 PM

You can move the skid back for extra clearance. I believe the stock ones have the extra holes for it.

waffelhauz 07-12-2011 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tedo (Post 3183515)
You can move the skid back for extra clearance. I believe the stock ones have the extra holes for it.

True, while the skid plate holes are there I found myself only being able to fit the transmission in its stock position.

I'm pretty damn sure I tried all available different combinations of mounting holes being used and remember asking myself why the HELL they even bothered having the other holes drilled.

OP, I am using a 21 turn hobbywing sensored brushless motor and i had to shave off some of the tube frame to make it fit. I even had to cut off a portion of the small electronics tray, the small one in the front, so that the wire tabs would fit in the position I wanted them in and that was upwards.

Structural integrity was not compromised as far as I can tell and my rig has survived some pretty vehement tumbles down the same steep hill since then without any signs of further breakage.

tedo 07-13-2011 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waffelhauz (Post 3183750)
True, while the skid plate holes are there I found myself only being able to fit the transmission in its stock position.

I'm pretty damn sure I tried all available different combinations of mounting holes being used and remembered asking myself they the HELL they even bothered having the other holes drilled.

OP, I am using a 21 turn hobbywing sensored brushless motor and i had to shave off some of the tube frame to make it fit. I even had to cut off a portion of the small electronics tray, the small one in the front, so that the wire tabs would fit in the position I wanted them in and that was upwards.

Structural integrity was not compromised as far as I can tell and my rig has survived some pretty vehement tumbles down the same steep hill since then without any signs of further breakage.

Yes, I too had to shave part of my frame to fit my 13.5 with my Ripper long skid plate. I also hacked up my electronics tray and built a custom interior. There's definitely not a lot of room in these rigs, and you have to get creative.

Good luck!

Mac28 07-13-2011 12:46 PM

Thanks for the reply's. I'll just keep with the stock pinion. Don't want to shave to much off.

krono7s 07-16-2011 10:18 AM

I have an axial tranns in mine and I have all the room I will ever need and didn't have to shave anything

matter432 07-16-2011 09:01 PM

I had sort of the same problem but with the Goat 18.5t motor it would sit up against the upper link mount rod end thing all i did was got a different rod end but in your case if its sits up against the cage you could maybe cut a little section out or just shave some off like you said.

Cheers
Matt

Percymon 07-17-2011 03:18 PM

I originally fitted a Hobbyking 3980kV motor with a long motor can and that rubbed on the chassis cage. Swapped it to a Hobbyking 3500kV outrunner 450 heli motor and problem well n truely gone, new motor is a quarter the size of the old !

BikeJunky 03-20-2012 09:17 PM

Re: Novak ballistic clearance issue

I had this same issue with an axial 27T. I got around that by spacing the entire frame with washers. Clears fine now.