Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > G-Made Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Novak ballistic clearance issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2011, 03:30 PM   #1

Default Novak ballistic clearance issue

I'm currently running with the Novak ballistic brushless 17t motor. Has anyone had issued where the motor sits up right against the side of the roll-cage? I have a 12t pinion and wanted to got up to a 16t or a 18t but with the 12t pinion it is already rubbing the chassis. I did a little bit of dremelling to make it fit with the 12t.
Mac28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2011, 08:27 PM   #2
RCC Addict

You can move the skid back for extra clearance. I believe the stock ones have the extra holes for it.
tedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedo View Post
You can move the skid back for extra clearance. I believe the stock ones have the extra holes for it.

True, while the skid plate holes are there I found myself only being able to fit the transmission in its stock position.

I'm pretty damn sure I tried all available different combinations of mounting holes being used and remember asking myself why the HELL they even bothered having the other holes drilled.

OP, I am using a 21 turn hobbywing sensored brushless motor and i had to shave off some of the tube frame to make it fit. I even had to cut off a portion of the small electronics tray, the small one in the front, so that the wire tabs would fit in the position I wanted them in and that was upwards.

Structural integrity was not compromised as far as I can tell and my rig has survived some pretty vehement tumbles down the same steep hill since then without any signs of further breakage.

Last edited by waffelhauz; 07-13-2011 at 10:43 AM.
waffelhauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:25 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffelhauz View Post
True, while the skid plate holes are there I found myself only being able to fit the transmission in its stock position.

I'm pretty damn sure I tried all available different combinations of mounting holes being used and remembered asking myself they the HELL they even bothered having the other holes drilled.

OP, I am using a 21 turn hobbywing sensored brushless motor and i had to shave off some of the tube frame to make it fit. I even had to cut off a portion of the small electronics tray, the small one in the front, so that the wire tabs would fit in the position I wanted them in and that was upwards.

Structural integrity was not compromised as far as I can tell and my rig has survived some pretty vehement tumbles down the same steep hill since then without any signs of further breakage.
Yes, I too had to shave part of my frame to fit my 13.5 with my Ripper long skid plate. I also hacked up my electronics tray and built a custom interior. There's definitely not a lot of room in these rigs, and you have to get creative.

Good luck!
tedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 12:46 PM   #5

Thanks for the reply's. I'll just keep with the stock pinion. Don't want to shave to much off.
Mac28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 10:18 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I have an axial tranns in mine and I have all the room I will ever need and didn't have to shave anything
krono7s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 09:01 PM   #7

I had sort of the same problem but with the Goat 18.5t motor it would sit up against the upper link mount rod end thing all i did was got a different rod end but in your case if its sits up against the cage you could maybe cut a little section out or just shave some off like you said.

Cheers
Matt
matter432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 03:18 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

I originally fitted a Hobbyking 3980kV motor with a long motor can and that rubbed on the chassis cage. Swapped it to a Hobbyking 3500kV outrunner 450 heli motor and problem well n truely gone, new motor is a quarter the size of the old !
Percymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:17 PM   #9

Default Re: Novak ballistic clearance issue

I had this same issue with an axial 27T. I got around that by spacing the entire frame with washers. Clears fine now.
BikeJunky is offline   Reply With Quote