RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   G-Made Crawlers (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/g-made-crawlers/)
-   -   R1 Brushless motor fit issues (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/g-made-crawlers/410783-r1-brushless-motor-fit-issues.html)

paintedgyp 11-01-2012 01:36 PM

R1 Brushless motor fit issues

Hey guys,

I'm a newb lurking on the forums for quite some time now, and finally broke down and bought myself an R1. Been enjoying the build immensely, everything's gone well so far, until I realized that the tekin 13.5t brushless motor does not actually fit with the junfac delrin skid, doh! it might fit with the stock skid plate though I wanna inboard the lower links. I've seen someone on the boards running the same motor with the R1 so I incorrectly assumed it worked without much modfication...

Any thoughts on how I can fit this thing without hacking into the cage too much? thought about getting r7r's long skid which may work? his website's under construction (i have contacted him, haven't heard back) and I can't find any other sources to buy (if you know of any places or wanna sell yours, let me know;)

attached some images for reference-

thanks guys, i appreciate any thoughts/advice/input! :)

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j...b/IMG_0963.jpg
build as it current stands

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j...b/IMG_0964.jpg
close up

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j...b/IMG_0965.jpg
close up w/ motor

tedo 11-01-2012 02:17 PM

Re: R1 Brushless motor fit issues

I encountered something similar when I had my R1 and a 13.5... I got it to fit with the stock skid, and later with ripper's long skid. I did have to grind down some of the frame, but not enough to cause structural damage.

Is there multiple holes to move the skid back? I thought there were 8 holes (4 on the side)? I believe you can set it back, then you only have to grind the screw hole behind the upper driver-side link.

paintedgyp 11-01-2012 07:26 PM

thanks for your response tedo, yes, with the stock skid, there are 8 holes that allow a setting back of the tranny/motor. one thing i really wanted to do though was to inboard the lower links... if i cut the stock skid like elbo's R1 greens, that mod unfortunately eliminates 2 of those mounting holes...

i guess i might have to bite the bullet and use the stock skid with the lower links outboard (at least the rear pair), or just wait to see if i can get my hands on ripper7's long inboard skid...

tedo 11-01-2012 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paintedgyp (Post 3995261)
thanks for your response tedo, yes, with the stock skid, there are 8 holes that allow a setting back of the tranny/motor. one thing i really wanted to do though was to inboard the lower links... if i cut the stock skid like elbo's R1 greens, that mod unfortunately eliminates 2 of those mounting holes...

i guess i might have to bite the bullet and use the stock skid with the lower links outboard (at least the rear pair), or just wait to see if i can get my hands on ripper7's long inboard skid...

Ah, gotcha. That makes sense. What about flipping the tranny, and then reversing the throttle on your tx? Just an idea.

paintedgyp 11-01-2012 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tedo (Post 3995392)
Ah, gotcha. That makes sense. What about flipping the tranny, and then reversing the throttle on your tx? Just an idea.

tedo, yes, good call, i was just thinking that too. additionally i may flip orientation of the skid too, to get the mounting holes more forward, to get yet more space for the motor (though if it works, the weight distribution will be slightly more towards the rear than the standard configuration). let me play around with things and report back. thanks for your ideas! "thumbsup"

hemdale 11-07-2012 05:48 PM

what about that ?

Hem's garage.

paintedgyp 11-07-2012 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hemdale (Post 4004656)
what about that ?

Hem's garage.

hemdale, thank you so much for your link, that definitely looks like a workable solution to the issue. for now though, i have managed to get in touch with Ripper7777777 and i'm waiting for his long inboard skid in the mail! :ror:

taking a look at your thread, the electric setup diagrams look quite helpful too, i'll probably refer to them as i wire up my r1.

hemdale 11-08-2012 04:24 PM

My pleasure. "thumbsup"

Please let me know if you managed to fit the Tekin Redline 13.5T with this setting.
Note that the upper right link you are about to attach "outside" will be a bit of a friction against the overall R1 structure. No biggie, but still...you will have the front suspensions a bit "stiffer" because of a lack of the front left suspension not being able to go all the way down.

However, I'm very interested in this motor as well but a bit afraid of buying somethign I couldn't fit in the R1.

Keep me posted buddy. ;-)

Tonysmini 11-08-2012 07:02 PM

I had a similar problem fitting a Novak motor to mine, I just extended the four link mount on the axle out slightly with a 7mm spacer each side, countersunk the mounting hole in the cage and mounted the top links outside the cage using countersink hex drive screws. Worked a treat, the motor missed the screw by about 1 -2 mm, and everything moved freely.

paintedgyp 11-10-2012 05:32 PM

So I've successfully gotten the 13.5 brushless motor to fit without any modification to the cage or mounting locations, after receiving Ripper7777777's long inboard skid in the mail!8)

Because of the way the cage angles in though, even though I had enough 'length', i was still needing 'width', so I ended up flipping the skid and the tranny orientation so the motor faces towards back, and the motor misses hitting the alternate upper mount by about 1mm. The downside is the weight distribution is more towards the back than the standard orientation, but I'll compensate for this in wheel weights, battery locations, etc.

thanks again everyone who responded (i may still try out some of those methods if i don't like the flipped orientation of things), and special thanks to lance who got his machine running and made the part for me"thumbsup"

some pics:
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j...b/IMG_1039.jpg

flipped both orientation of skid, and the tranny/motor:
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j...b/IMG_1038.jpg

just misses the upper link mount by ~1mm....
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j...b/IMG_1042.jpg

paintedgyp 11-10-2012 05:39 PM

I should also add that by doing this, I'm going to need a longer universal shaft, because of the extended distance between the tranny and the rear axle. Will be probably be ordering this part to fit into it-

Junfac Hardened Universal Shaft for Tamiya CC01

hemdale 11-10-2012 10:40 PM

Good work ! What pinion do you have on the Tekin 13.5 ?

paintedgyp 11-11-2012 07:10 PM

Good question, it's one of the next things I have to figure out, I just have the stock 12 tooth pinion in now. Also have to figure out what batteries to use.... Decisons, decisions...

hemdale 11-12-2012 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paintedgyp (Post 4010574)
Good question, it's one of the next things I have to figure out, I just have the stock 12 tooth pinion in now. Also have to figure out what batteries to use.... Decisons, decisions...

Probably not too many teeth on the pinion to put not too much strain on the motor. Try with the stock 12T pinion to see first how it goes. "thumbsup"

DBCFR 01-27-2013 03:25 PM

I know I am a newbie but here is my soulution to this very same problem
I got myself a rc4wd r2 transmission redrilled/taped the trans case to fit the R1 derlin skid/mount with this I gained space for the motor and a much smoother trans mine also has a good Dig and the stock Junfac drive shafts work fine and are more centered then with the stock trans....Just my .02

bikerzee24 01-28-2013 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DBCFR (Post 4147499)
I got myself a rc4wd r2 transmission redrilled/taped the trans case to fit the R1 derlin skid/mount with this I gained space for the motor and a much smoother trans mine also has a good Dig and the stock Junfac drive shafts work fine and are more centered then with the stock trans....Just my .02

Your right, so much more room when you go with the RC4WD R2 Tranny, this was the tranny I went with when I built my r1 piece by piece, I've since upgraded to the r2 dig unit tranny and it has been way awesome to use.

Mnocton 02-12-2013 02:50 PM

I flipped the orientation of mine too. I'm running a redline 9.5, 14 tooth and 3s. Thing's a maniac! On 4 wheel steering it looks like the tazmanian devil doing donuts. It can almost do a standing back flip .

paintedgyp 02-23-2013 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DBCFR (Post 4147499)

Quote:

Originally Posted by bikerzee24 (Post 4148526)
Your right, so much more room when you go with the RC4WD R2 Tranny, this was the tranny I went with when I built my r1 piece by piece, I've since upgraded to the r2 dig unit tranny and it has been way awesome to use.

Thanks guys for your advice! I'll see how my set up works first (yeah, it's still sitting as a roller) hopefully will get it up and running for the spring/summer, and do a bit of research on the r2 trannys"thumbsup"

bikerzee24 02-25-2013 01:48 PM

No problem, good luck