Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > G-Made Crawlers

Notices

Thread: OD UD gears for the Portals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2013, 08:25 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default OD UD gears for the Portals

Is there anyway to OD / UD the R1 axles? I've got them in a couple rigs that would benefit from this gearing.
bbaxter51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2013, 08:04 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: OD UD gears for the Portals

Not that I know of. Almost no one except JunFac make hop ups for the R1. If they magically appear somewhere, you make sure to come back and let us know.
derb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:20 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I think most people just replace the R1 axles with Axial Axles.. since they have all the hop-ups
jeepgeek2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:23 PM   #4

i have tried to contact gmade and junfac direct for a couple of years but iv'e gotten no reply!! sure would like some ud/od gears
lrhsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:25 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

The only option is to use a transfer case that has a split ratio.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 04:50 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Then one must ask what transfer cases offer that feature?

I'd consider between 5% and 10% overdrive to be about ideal. I know the TF2 transfer can be modified to do OD, but it ends up being a ridiculous 40% which can't really be practical, can it?
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 05:32 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

I wonder if you can find pinion gears to replace the gears in the portal gearbox and change the ratio. I wish these axles weren't so neglected by aftermarket.
spookyseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 02:36 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

This might seem silly coming from someone who does not own nor have I seem a gmade in the flesh. But I have been looking at them off late and I wonder if it would be at all possible to run 14/14 portal gears together in the front axle for overdrive effect compared to the standard 14/16 reduction?
Grimace83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 03:24 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
This might seem silly coming from someone who does not own nor have I seem a gmade in the flesh. But I have been looking at them off late and I wonder if it would be at all possible to run 14/14 portal gears together in the front axle for overdrive effect compared to the standard 14/16 reduction?
Unfortunately, that wouldn't work. The radii of the pitch circles of the portal gears must combine to equal the distance between the portal input and output shafts. If you were to put a pair of 14T gears in there, their teeth would not mesh properly if at all. However, there may be another way to affect OD/UD.

If the Sawback ring and pinion (bevel gears in the differential) will fit in the R1 portal axle's diff compartment, then you could generate an OD/UD effect since the Sawback ring and pinion are 32T and 14T respectively (compared to the R1 ring and pinion, which are 32T and 17T respectively.) It's funny. I actually jumped over to this forum to ask if the Sawback diff gears would fit in the R1 diff compartment and found this thread at the top of the queue. Anyone know if the Sawback gears will fit??

Last edited by supermoturd; 04-15-2014 at 04:09 PM.
supermoturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 04:49 PM   #10
DravTech

No, the Sawback gears do not fit unmodified, I am sorry to say. I think it is possible to make them work, but that is rather long down on my to do list at the moment :(
Dravpnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:29 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dravpnir View Post
No, the Sawback gears do not fit unmodified, I am sorry to say. I think it is possible to make them work, but that is rather long down on my to do list at the moment :(
That is good to know. How much modification would it take to get them in? Do the shafts fit or is it the position of the pinion relative to the ring?
Old 04-15-2014, 08:13 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Ok how about swapping the location of the front portal gears so the 16t drives the 14t for overdrive? Just throwing my thoughts out there.
Grimace83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:07 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimace83 View Post
Ok how about swapping the location of the front portal gears so the 16t drives the 14t for overdrive? Just throwing my thoughts out there.
That will work, but I think the recesses in the portal gear box are sized to accommodate the specific gear sizes. This would prevent you from swapping the gears around. I could be wrong, though. It has been a while since I disassembled my axles.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:16 AM   #14
DravTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermoturd View Post
That is good to know. How much modification would it take to get them in? Do the shafts fit or is it the position of the pinion relative to the ring?
I have just tinkered with it for an hour or so, but it seems most doable with the original ring gear and the Sawback pinion gear.

The sawback ring gear is a bit shorter in length so it got more room for mesh adjustment compared to the original one. However, the axle engagement will will less and that worries me a bit.

I think, and hope, that the only modification you will have to do on the Sawback pinion gear is to grind it a bit so it sits closer to the bearing in the axle housing.
Dravpnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 12:15 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dravpnir View Post
I have just tinkered with it for an hour or so, but it seems most doable with the original ring gear and the Sawback pinion gear.

The sawback ring gear is a bit shorter in length so it got more room for mesh adjustment compared to the original one. However, the axle engagement will will less and that worries me a bit.

I think, and hope, that the only modification you will have to do on the Sawback pinion gear is to grind it a bit so it sits closer to the bearing in the axle housing.
Dead-on with your assessment, Drav. I read this again after I did the mod and realized that I did everything that you said.*grin*

OD UD gears for the Portals - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Portals?? demonoid369 Axial Wraith 3 08-17-2011 10:07 PM
Anyone seen these portals before? infanterene Tamiya CR-01 18 06-23-2009 02:25 PM
portals? 0778drz110 Newbie General 0 11-03-2008 03:31 PM
portals? lIRATIl Newbie General 1 12-27-2007 07:05 PM
HOw about POrtals!!!! Janke Tamiya TLT Crawlers 13 02-20-2005 01:13 PM