Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > G-Made Crawlers

Notices

Thread: R1 Steering Revisited

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2014, 09:58 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default R1 Steering Revisited

After reading other threads on steering mods for the R1, I notched my knuckle arms but was disappointed to find that it did not improve my steering throw. Upon closer investigation, I discovered that the problem was with the 7* C-Hubs that I had installed. While the 7* C-Hubs are effective in providing positive caster and more favorable pinion alignment, they actually reduce steering throw by causing the rod end on the drag link to interfere with the upper bolt lobe on the portal housing. My solution was to move the tie rod down and attach it to the bottoms of the knuckle arms. This dropped the drag link rod end down enough to clear the bolt lobe, but the head of the cap screw that secures the drag link rod end to the knuckle arm still made contact with the bolt lobe. To eliminate this contact, I fab'ed an extension for the knuckle arm that moved the drag link rod end out away from the bolt lobe. Now the notched knuckle arms were making contact with the C-Hubs and became the limiting factor in steering throw. I notched the C-Hubs to provide additional clearance. I then found that the stock CV joints could not accommodate any additional steering angle. I replaced them with the aftermarket CVA upgrade. The bore on the knuckles interfered with the shaft on the CVAs and limited steering throw. I notched the bores on the knuckles and increased the steering throw further. At this point, the rod ends on the tie rod began interfering with the lower bolt lobes on the portal housing and became the limiting factor in steering throw. I mounted the steering servo on the backs of the mounting posts to provide additional clearance for the left wheel. The steering throw is now to the point where the wheels nearly scrub the shocks at lock.

supermoturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2014, 08:24 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: R1 Steering Revisited

I moved my shocks to the inboard side of the mounts tonight and the tires no longer scrub, even when locked and stuffed.

Old 04-26-2014, 12:40 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Dude what would you charge to build the steering throw mod u just did. As in getting all the parts and making them for other ppl to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
joneail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 06:39 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by joneail View Post
Dude what would you charge to build the steering throw mod u just did. As in getting all the parts and making them for other ppl to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you bought the parts (knuckles, C-hubs, CVAs, Tie Rod, and Drag Link) and sent them to me, I would file and notch them and make and install the knuckle arm extension for $50. It is totally worth it. The improvement in steering is crazy.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:38 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I think it is hilarious how JunFac advertises a 42* steering angle for their CVAs; stating that it is 10* more than the steering angle (32*) achieved with the stock CV axles. What is hilarious is that the stock steering configuration (knuckles and C-Hubs) can't even accommodate the 32* offered by the stock CV axles. I've gotta quit hating on the R1. Once the steering is sorted out, the portal axles are insanely good. The extra clearance under the pumpkin has saved me so many times. And let's not forget that all of the screws that attach brackets and links are backed with nuts, unlike with axial axles, which use self-tapping screws in nylon! I've often thought about "upgrading" to AR60 wraith axles, but I just can't stand the idea of relying on plastic screw-cut threads.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:25 AM   #6

This should be stickied!
Spacelord is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steering

R1 Steering Revisited - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hera revisited johnnyh66 2.2 Scale Rigs 358 03-08-2016 11:20 AM
flattie revisited ToobIcon 2.2 Scale Rigs 0 04-09-2010 01:45 AM
SW2 revisited DUDE Tamiya TLT Crawlers 28 09-09-2007 08:46 PM