Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > G-Made Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Building a GMaxial moaR1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2014, 10:16 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Building a GMaxial moaR1

I been wanting to start this project for some time now as I’ve been wanting to get into a MOA rig. I’ve never really cared for the stock XR10 chassis… and the custom carbon fibre chassis out there were just too expensive and fragile. I’m thinking the chassis will be a lot more durable then CF, however, it won’t be as light. It won’t matter as I’m not going to fit this into any class or weight constraints.

Just the other day was able to do a trade to get my hands on a Gmade R1 chassis. With that, I should have everything in the parts bin to put something together. This includes a set of XR10 axles.

Here are the set of XR10 axles. Sporting VP chubs, knuckles, lockouts, RCBros wheel weights and some Ti links

Throwing the chassis in the mix. Since the chassis I got did not come with a skid plate, I'm going to find a way to retrofit the XR10 skid plate.

Here it is with the lower link put on with a comparison to the chassis.

Mocking up the chassis over top the skid and it look very narrow. Going to have to find a way to work around this.

Another mockup with the upper links and it looks like the geometry is WAY off.

Looks Like I'm going to have to find something to fix up the geometry. The R1 chassis doesn't really offer a lot of mounting location in the lower area. I'm not much for fabricating, so I'm gonna have to find something to mod up for a mounting location.
cytogen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2014, 12:41 AM   #2

Default Re: Building a GMaxial moaR1

While I can appreciate your effort, at what point is this even an R1 ? XR10 skid, axles, knuckles, etc, etc.

Sticking an R1 cage on what is essentially an XR10 does not an R1 make (you may not be trying to build an "R1", but you are posting this in the R1 forum). It seems like more effort than it's worth in the long run.

I can understand wanting to build an MOA rig. I own a body-less CF XR10 rig and I love the hell out of it. But I wouldn't bother trying to retro fit my R1 cage on it, even from a durability stand point. It's a downgrade in all respects in my opinion.

There are non CF body-less chassis for the XR10 out there.
Jesse XR10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 12:52 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse XR10 View Post
While I can appreciate your effort, at what point is this even an R1 ? XR10 skid, axles, knuckles, etc, etc.

Sticking an R1 cage on what is essentially an XR10 does not an R1 make (you may not be trying to build an "R1", but you are posting this in the R1 forum). It seems like more effort than it's worth in the long run.

I can understand wanting to build an MOA rig. I own a body-less CF XR10 rig and I love the hell out of it. But I wouldn't bother trying to retro fit my R1 cage on it, even from a durability stand point. It's a downgrade in all respects in my opinion.

While I do agree that this is not an r1, I still think its a good idea to build it. If it comes out right you end up with a more scale looking comp rig. While it won't be competitive with other super light cf comp rigs, it will be fun to drive on the rocks. It will look a little bit more scale, and if the geometry works out it will be more capable then an actual r1 or wraith. I say this because I did this same thing a few years ago with rs10 moa axles and even comped with it. I actually just sold that rig the other day.

So I say good luck and have fun. That's what it's about anyway

Last edited by Jcplante; 06-25-2014 at 12:54 AM.
Jcplante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 02:21 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

While I respect your opinion, I'm doing this for the fun of it. I like to tinker so the effort is not wasted, rather constructive and fun. Somewhat out of the box thinking. I have no expectations on it out crawling a comp MOA, so if it's a downgrade, so be it.

This may not be an R1 in a technical sense, but the identifying chassis is a R1. It's what people are going to see first before identifying it as having XR10 axles. Is a R1 with Wraith axles not a R1? Is a wraith chassis with Gmade portal axle a R1? Since I frequent this forum more frequently, I decided to post here.

Old 06-25-2014, 02:27 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcplante View Post
While I do agree that this is not an r1, I still think its a good idea to build it. If it comes out right you end up with a more scale looking comp rig. While it won't be competitive with other super light cf comp rigs, it will be fun to drive on the rocks. It will look a little bit more scale, and if the geometry works out it will be more capable then an actual r1 or wraith. I say this because I did this same thing a few years ago with rs10 moa axles and even comped with it. I actually just sold that rig the other day.
So I say good luck and have fun. That's what it's about anyway
Thanks man, I've always liked the way the R1 body looked and i wanted a MOA so the combo makes sense. Looking forward to the build.

When you built yours, how did you find geometry, I notice you mounted the upper links pretty high up. how was the articulation?
Old 06-25-2014, 02:40 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

So after some digging around, I found a droop kit for the SCX I never ended up using. So I decided to use it as the upper link mounts, which then mounts to the side of the skidplate

With a comparison with the XR10 side plates, it put the links in the same geometry range so I think the droop kit mounts are a winner for now.

Drilled some extra hold on the skid plate and mounted them in good

Luckily the holes in the chassis lines up perfectly with the hole in the skid plate. However, since the chassis was wider then the skid, i had to use some spacer to get it mounted correctly.

With that, it looks like the geometry is a lot better!

That's all I got for now.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:15 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Nice build, great project... Will follow it with attention... I like people who try new things and think out of the box... Keep up the good work, pal...
noname0383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 08:20 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

The articulation was great! I know the rear links were not normal but I didn't like the look of the rear part of the chassis. The way I did it just made it kinda flow right into the axle. The flex shot I posted was about maxed out but that is plenty in my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-02-2014, 11:55 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Had some more time today to add some suspension;

Before I did, just to humour myself, I was able to see how much flex I can get...

Joking aside, I got a set of stock gmade transitions shocks for the project and mounted them up. I put them on upside down and instead of the stock ball end, I used rubber bushing on the axle side. For the chassis side, I had to use a 5mm spacers to space the ball mount away from the chassis.

So far I'm really liking the stance. Somewhat aggressive. The fronts are set up for droop and rears are sprung.

The side stance

Old 07-03-2014, 06:29 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Looks like your having fun with the build, and it will be interesting to see how it works.
greenjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 05:57 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:

Opinions are like assholes buddy and come from them too apparently.

Neat project man. I will most likely convert all my super modded ax10 stuff to the gmade chassis after i blow up all my gmade parts. Would like to keep using my gmade diffs though.
Morbid Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 06:37 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

So how is this coming out? Any updates?
Old 10-04-2014, 10:30 PM   #13

Right on! like what you doing. i have 2 built using Bully MOA axles.
Silvertip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 04:10 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Just saw this and love the idea. I built an R1 Frankenstein using SCX10 tranny and Wraith axles, and it's an absolute blast. It's actually a better Wraith than my Wraith, lol, due to the lower CG and overall weight. And it looks wicked. Well worth all of the problem solving it took to get it sorted. :thumbsup:
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Building a GMaxial moaR1 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
building a course. slim_chance General Crawlers 20 06-02-2013 07:54 AM
building a new one hotrodsonoma 1.9 Scale Rigs 6 10-08-2011 07:56 PM
New to building 07Crawler Newbie General 2 03-21-2010 01:45 PM
This is what I have been building. Tronk Chit Chat 18 12-19-2006 03:14 PM
If you were building a....... flexntj2001 Traxxas Crawlers 13 12-31-2005 10:52 AM