Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > G-Made Crawlers

Notices

Thread: High Speed R1?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2015, 10:18 PM   #1

Default High Speed R1?

Hello,

I have decided to buy a Gmade R1 because i love the looks and have been wanting to get one for two or so years. I not interested in making this into a true rock crawler(would go with something else if i was) but more of a rock racer/buggy. I have picked out all the parts but i'm stuck on which power plant i should choose. I would like to keep it around the $100 or less but if i have to i could spend more. I want to get a decent speed out of it (am i crazy for trying to get 30-40mph?) i will get hardened steel drive shafts so im only worried about the gears in the transmission. Any thoughts are appreciated.
(i posted this in the newbie section too, sorry if you are seeing it again)

Thanks, Luke
AnxiousBarbecue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2015, 01:36 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: High Speed R1?

i dont think the portals will hold up, to it the bearings are very small and blow, i use bushings but, 40 mph is fast
pook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 01:47 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I got a Castle creations sct 3800 kit (because at $120 you are basically buying the motor and getting a great esc for free) and used that esc with an atomic 35t motor with 3s and stock gearing, it was fast for a crawler and spit out parts almost every time I drove it. The r1 is a cool looking rig but it's core parts (axels, transmission, bearings) are cheap junk with hardly any real aftermarket support. Sure, you can replace the axels and transmission with heavier duty stuff but why not just get a Wraith or something that you can make very fast and Bullet proof?
Wehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 01:56 PM   #4
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnxiousBarbecue View Post
(am i crazy for trying to get 30-40mph?)
No, but certainly on the wrong website for that kinda stuff.

RCCRAWLER
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 11:23 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnxiousBarbecue View Post
(am i crazy for trying to get 30-40mph?) i will get hardened steel drive shafts so im only worried about the gears in the transmission. Any thoughts are appreciated.
(i posted this in the newbie section too, sorry if you are seeing it again)

Thanks, Luke
Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
No, but certainly on the wrong website for that kinda stuff.

RCCRAWLER
Disagree and agree with EeePee. Disagree...crazy to try to get 30-40 mph off of Gmade mechanicals, and agree this isn't the best place to figure out how if you were going to try.

I researched this quite a bit before I built my R1. I wanted at least as much speed as I have from my Wraith (mid- to high teens) and came to the conclusion, based on everything I read, that the Gmade tranny and portal axles were unavoidably weak links (no hardened parts available to speak of). So I decided to build mine with an SCX-10 tranny and Wraith axles, both of which are very easy to strengthen. Here's my thread:
R1 Frankenstein new project

It runs in the mid- to high teens now on 2s with a ROC 412 3100 kv and MMP and probably gets very close to 20 mph with 3s. I suppose it's conceivable that you could push it faster with a different motor, but I'd have my doubts about whether you could get to 30-40 mph responsibly. Space is at a premium inside that little chassis, which limits battery and motor options.

Good luck, and feel free to post more questions if you have.
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 02:16 AM   #6

Thanks for everyone's posts. I know this isn't the right place but I figured it would be the best place to find out how weak the parts of the truck are from others experiences. As far as replacing the axles. Are there other options besides using a wraith, want to try and be a little different. I've been looking around but all of them seem to be too narrow. Around 7" hex to hex. Even with wideners they still come up short. I would like to go about the width of the gmade ones. 10" hex to hex i believe. Even a little wider wouldn't hurt. I looked on rc4wd but found no axles. Also would there r2, I thinks that's what it is, transmission drop in easily? Sorry if some of has been covered in other areas of the forum. Thanks again.
Old 01-31-2015, 05:20 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Default High Speed R1?

I would definitely recommend searching the forum to read up on what others have tried and get answers to some of your questions:
RC4WD R2 Dig Install In R1 Chassis

RC4WD does make Wraith-width axles:
http://store.rc4wd.com/Here-you-can-...es_p_3968.html

The good news is that it doesn't take too long to search and read up on R1 mods because it's such a niche kit and there aren't that many ways to mod it due to very limited aftermarket support. Once you've done some searching and reading, it should be easier for you to narrow down your questions and make some decisions. Good luck!

Last edited by new2rocks; 01-31-2015 at 07:37 AM.
Old 01-31-2015, 11:24 AM   #8

Thanks. Do you know of any MOA axles that might work. Would be interesting to try that out too.
Old 01-31-2015, 12:12 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

You need to do some searching, reading and watching of YouTube videos, then more of the same. MOA is a totally different animal, and you definitely wouldn't want to make it a speed king. This took a few seconds to find, and there are probably others out there:
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/redca...r1-hybrid.html

Search, read and watch. Search, read and watch. Figure out what direction you want to go in, then start experimenting. If you run into any issues, post questions with pix. That's what I did with mine, and I was able to get what I wanted.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:22 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Several people already answered you several different times on this subject over on URC, so why ask here?
skedhead is offline   Reply With Quote

High Speed R1? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
High speed compilation Metal Masher Videos! 7 01-11-2012 09:11 PM
TQ Twist at high speed craigrobbo Formula Offroad 8 12-11-2011 12:27 PM
high speed and crawlability? MNorby Electronics 17 09-27-2008 10:51 PM