Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > G-Made Crawlers

Notices

Thread: 4 Link Sawback?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2015, 09:46 PM   #1

Default 4 Link Sawback?

Anyone see this? : rcMart Blog – Flex your Sawback!

Seems easy to do, hate those rock solid leaf springs on my Sawback. Will it really make that much difference? Searched through the forums, doesn't seem like there's a performance report.
flammable_gas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2015, 11:53 PM   #2

Default Re: 4 Link Sawback?

Do a google search also. Did you take your shocks off? That Gives you a bit more travel
Squarenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 02:23 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Anti squat leaves a bit to be desired but it should give you more flex since its 4 link vs leaf. Looks like a solid upgrade if you don't like leafs. You could also mod your leafs at the mounting points for a bit more flex and or try shooter shackles. Could also try softer leafs too.

Sent from the clouds
Captainkickass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 11:58 PM   #4

So I have a lot of time and effort into my sawback. I immediately ditched the stock tranny plate and went with the SCALERFAB flat plate steel tray. It gives you appox 4 to 5mm's more clearance. I used some traxxas Emaxx links of both pumpkins to start the process. My goal was not to eliminate the springs but to stop the axle wrap and leaf bending/breakage. I also mount 3 3/4 lunford Ti turnbuckles I had in my LOSI 22T stash. These links at all 4 corners mount to inside of shock mounts and then I drilled a mount stop on all four corners of sheet steel tranny plate. So I have 2 holes in tranny plate for pumpkin top links and 1 hole at each corner of tranny plate for all 4 of the lower links coming from the shock lower mounts. Almost zero wrapping. NO bent springs and I can now run the large single leaf and also did the Chino Mod....Still not the articulation of my SCX10 but this thing climbs with them all day long
Attached Images

konasubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 08:44 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Reversing the front shackles also helps with flex. The frontend of mine actually has about 3/4" more travel than what's pictured, plus moving the shackles to the rear of the spring helps stop the frame from hanging up on everything. It does get fairly involved. As you can see in the last picture it will throw your pinion angle way off, but you can file the leaf saddles to the proper angle to fix this problem.
Attached Images

Jeepiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 10:25 AM   #6

So I like your idea and will give it a try....I believe doing the"chino" mod and grinding the spring ends accomplishes same thing....looks like you are running all 3 leafs....with my link configuration, I only have to run 1 main leaf because axle wrap is eliminated ...also u can adjust pinion angle by using turnbuckle wrench on outside lower links...I am going to try your suggestion though.....
konasubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 08:05 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by konasubs View Post
So I like your idea and will give it a try....I believe doing the"chino" mod and grinding the spring ends accomplishes same thing....looks like you are running all 3 leafs....with my link configuration, I only have to run 1 main leaf because axle wrap is eliminated ...also u can adjust pinion angle by using turnbuckle wrench on outside lower links...I am going to try your suggestion though.....
I run the medium and short leaf on top of the main. This gives the flex of a single leaf but helps with axle wrap. Estimating that I've put about 12 hours on my Sawback since I got it and still no bent springs, but I don't run crazy power either. 35T on 2s, but it does weigh in at almost 7 pounds. Links on a leafer just isn't my thing, and luckily I haven't needed them yet. Since these pictures were taken I've fixed the pinion angle. Shafts are already a little steeper than normal because of the raised tranny mount but it's all tunes in and working awesome now.
Jeepiac is offline   Reply With Quote

4 Link Sawback? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Sawback 06ToasterBox G-Made Sawback 86 01-17-2020 01:27 PM
Sawback vs. Sawback Sports scaled G-Made Sawback 6 04-01-2015 09:04 PM
4 Link Sawback Saabonthis G-Made Sawback 2 01-18-2015 10:52 AM
4-link Sawback Jacabbysal G-Made Sawback 8 03-05-2014 11:45 PM
Wild Willy On A Sawback [Sawback Solo Run] ifulg G-Made Sawback 1 12-24-2013 08:06 PM