Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > G-Made Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Kristmas Kamodo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2015, 03:53 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Kristmas Kamodo

I got to pick out my present this year. So I put a Komodo on layaway at the first of the month. Then started planning my build. I knew I wanted a Class 1 rig for next years comps. Ordered a few parts needed to get the rig rolling right off. And I knew I wanted to get rid of the Phillips screws so I got a Team KNK screw kit, Pitbull Growler 1.55 tires, RC4WD steel wagon wheels in black, and a HH Crawlmaster Sport 13t motor.
Attached Images

Last edited by Randy Williams; 12-27-2015 at 06:54 PM.
Randy Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2015, 03:54 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Kristmas Kamodo

Parts came in.
Attached Images

Old 12-27-2015, 04:01 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

And I started building. I'm not the best at build threads so I'm just going to post up some picks as I go. The one thing about this kit that frustrated me was all the stinking hex nuts. At the same time they won't wear out or strip over time with disassembly and reassembly. It sucks but it's really nice at the same time.
Attached Images

Old 12-27-2015, 04:05 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

So the transmission seems pretty stout. I'm not sure about the axles yet. They seem tough enough. At this point I know I'm going to need the alum knuckles and I'm pretty sure a new set of links. I personally like the solid links with revo ends. I don't care for the set screws threaded into the aluminum rod. Just doesn't seem strong enough.
Old 12-27-2015, 06:27 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Good looking chassis. Not many obvious options for mods. Receiver box and battery holder is made for one place in the chassis. That will need some attention soon after the build is done. The battery is in the back but it's lower in the rails.
Attached Images

Old 12-27-2015, 06:32 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I'm not familiar with these shocks. I know there are two ways to set them up and the droop set up is shown in the instructions. The sprung configuration will raise the rig up to far and change the position of the axles. I'm going to run these for now then change to a shorter shock in the future.

I used 30wt oil with the 4 hole Pistons. Pretty smooth. Springs seem too stiff though. Gmade sent shock grease to use on the o rings but I opted for the green slime I had on hand. Pretty messy shocks to build.
Attached Images

Old 12-27-2015, 06:38 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

So I got everything put together and the electronics installed. I've got to get a good soldering station. Both my irons crapped out. The LHS was nice enough to solder the leads and bullet connectors for me.

The wheels gave me a lot of trouble. Stripped out three of the 1.5mm hex drivers. I got them together, but it goes to show I should spend the money on good quality tools in the beginning.

I used the stock foams. I will be getting CI foams once I get the rig sitting where I want.
Attached Images

Old 12-27-2015, 06:46 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

ESC is an axial ae2 I had lying around. Servo is a savox I'll use for now. I have to admit I'm a bit worried this thing won't do what I want. I'll have to upgrade as my confidence grows. I'm no pro by any means, and I realize class 1 is a different animal from the other classes. However, my deadbolt and G6 were awesome right out of the box. The videos I've seen of the Komodo leaves me with some doubt. I hope some upgrades, and tuning will help. As well as me learning how to drive the damn thing.

Last edited by Randy Williams; 12-27-2015 at 06:56 PM.
Old 12-27-2015, 06:53 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

So the Komodo comes with several scale items. Most require attaching to the body with screws. So if a person wants all items attached there are 24 holes to be reamed in the body, and MAN is this body thick! Taking your time and quite a bit of work to get all the holes drilled with a hand reamer.

I don't like how the body posts stick up above the body. There isn't any way to adjust them down. Once I get the height right I'll have to see about cutting them down.
Attached Images

Last edited by Randy Williams; 12-27-2015 at 06:57 PM.
Old 12-29-2015, 08:28 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Nice kit congratulations! The stock shocks are way too long imo, glad to see you'll be swapping those to shorter units. Nice to see you trying 1.55s too.

Komodo body is really nice and thick, other manufacturers should take note and learn.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 07:33 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Any suggestions on shocks? I hear the king shocks are good but not sure on the lengths I'm going to need.
Old 12-30-2015, 10:06 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Proline scalers for SCX, not the larger diameter ones. Rc4wd scale 90mm shocks both come to mind. Traxxas slash front shocks.
Old 01-01-2016, 09:40 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Nice build so far. The video makes the truck look toy-ish the way it's shown. I doubt they weighted the wheels since it looks stiff and bouncey while being driven. Some weight down low would help since the stock wheels are feather light. It also looks like they were running cheapo motors judging by how the trucks would stall, then take off rather than crawling smoothly. That being said, I think it has alot of potential. Zero Ackerman knuckles and the matching links improve the steering greatly. You'll need the CVD's to get the most out of it. Have fun with your new truck!

Last edited by TrailDawg362; 01-01-2016 at 09:42 AM.
TrailDawg362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 11:57 AM   #14

looking good
JamminJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 08:17 PM   #15

Had similar idea and got one for x-mas too. The build was going well had a bit of a problem with the E-clips on the drive shafts they seemed a bit too big I was able to push them in with just my fingers and they would fall out. I ended closing them a bit with needle nose pliers. I loved that the kit came with bead locks that was the first thing I assembled but 2 days latter I came to install them and they where all broken all 4 of them see the pics. The shocks where really messy to work with and not too sure about how well they seal the oil in. I do agree with all the nuts on each screw but no plastic to strip if you over tightened screws. I do like the truck it looks sturdy and well built but now i'm kinda stuck with the wheels.

RicZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 12:41 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicZilla View Post
Had similar idea and got one for x-mas too. The build was going well had a bit of a problem with the E-clips on the drive shafts they seemed a bit too big I was able to push them in with just my fingers and they would fall out. I ended closing them a bit with needle nose pliers. I loved that the kit came with bead locks that was the first thing I assembled but 2 days latter I came to install them and they where all broken all 4 of them see the pics. The shocks where really messy to work with and not too sure about how well they seal the oil in. I do agree with all the nuts on each screw but no plastic to strip if you over tightened screws. I do like the truck it looks sturdy and well built but now i'm kinda stuck with the wheels.
I read somewhere to use Teflon tape on the shocks. I did that right off just to make sure they didn't leak. So far so good. I didn't have an issue with the e clips. Hope they hold together for you.

That sucks about the wheels. The only bead locks I had any dealings with was the axial plastic bead locks. These were new to me totally. I haven't even looked at mine to see if they cracked. I'll have to check.

The tires that came with the truck are about the same height as the 1.55 growlers. Kinda surprised about that.
Old 01-03-2016, 12:46 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Finally got time to paint the body.
Attached Images

Old 01-03-2016, 02:00 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Looks like you over tightened the wheel screws...the are only plastic wheels. I'd go with Rc4wd or Hot Racing steel wheels beadlocks and no weight in them. CI DW foams too.
Old 01-03-2016, 05:12 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Got the paint done. Body is together. This truck is going to be fun and challenging to drive.
Attached Images

Old 01-03-2016, 05:13 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Can't post more than one picture at a time for some reason.
Attached Images