Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 2.2 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: R1cho......scxR10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2016, 08:23 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default R1cho......scxR10

The thread started in the scx10 forum. Got moved to the 2.2 forum. I cross posted in the GMade Crawlers and now it's back in the 2.2.

------------------------------------------------------------------

I had grown tired of my Wroncho turned Bro Dozer and wanted something else I could abuse without worrying about the body hanging up.

Scx10 transmission
Ax10 skid plate
Wild Boar driveshafts
AR60 axles
GMade R1 chassis/cage only
RC4WD 80t for starters. I've got a 20t and a 27t also
AE-5 ESC
Wraith shocks
HPI Rock Grabber tires
2s and 3s available

I tore out the drivetrain on the Bro Dozer and went to work fitting it to the R1. I had a Wraith skid, Honcho skid, and an Ax10 skid on hand. The Wraith is just too wide and I tried the Scx10 skid. I used the exact same links and got the exact same results as for articulation. I wasn't happy with that so I pulled out the box of pushrods, links, and ball ends. Two hours later I've come up with something that flexes very well and all the moving parts are clear. I ended up using the GMade configuration to get the most flex. Two outboard links and then the inboard links are slightly higher.

I had to make some chassis spacers, although I have some on order I couldn't wait any longer. Rooting through my box of misc metric junk I found some m3-30mm plastic standoffs. So I figured out they'd fit inside a carbon arrow I had used to make a micro sponson boat. They needed a little trimming and smoothing after getting chucked in my drill and cut in half. Shoved the pieces in the cut arrow a little and then dab on some Gorilla Glue. Then drive them in all the way.

Trimmed up the glue and mounted them up.

I still need to mount the electronics, body panels, and figure out what wheels I want. But it looks promising.

I've cut some body panels from a face shield I jacked from work. It's thicker than lexan and loads tougher. But when making the creases for the side panels it turned white. So. Ow I can paint it white or paint on the outside. We've got a giant label maker at work and I'm going to try to make something I can just lay on as a vinyl wrap.

Last edited by Brake Weight; 09-11-2016 at 05:54 PM.
Brake Weight is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2016, 09:14 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: R1cho

I found a roll of matte black vinyl that I only used on my Honcho's hood. I'll see what the local big box store has for me, too.
Old 05-04-2016, 04:08 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

It came out looking good. But it was very tedious putting all the body bolts/nuts on. Especially knowing I'm going to swap motors soon. But I wanted to see it looking done ASAP.

It ended up being a long 14" wheelbase.

I was able to attach a 2200mAh lipo to the underside of the shoddy 'interior'. Some double sided tape and a Velcro cinch.

The 1/24 is a Goat V1 done by Fungi. He's got it going on with micro crawlers and 3D printing.

I'm thinking of swapping my normal scx10 axles under it to narrow it up some. But haven't decided just yet. It currently has an 80t motor and is slow...very slow. I picked up a 78 tooth spur today for an AE, but I'll have to drill it for the Axial tranny. Then I can step up pinion sizes and see what I can get going. Also a 20t, 27t, and a sensor less/4 pole/3650 2100kV. That should have a little bit of torque.

One more.
Old 05-05-2016, 10:19 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Old 05-12-2016, 03:13 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I swapped the ar60s out for the scx10 axles and it crawls around a lot better. Looks better, too.

I also made up these steering links today. 3/16" stainless rod threaded to m4 and some heavy RPM ends. Probably the easiest thing yet.

With the narrower a les I was able to move the rear shocks inboard. I may do the fronts in a day or so. It works better, but I'll need to do better with the spacers in between.

It gained a little chassis height with the shock relocation.

Whenever the stamped, 2.2, HR bead locks get here this may be my favorite rig yet. The wheels will put some more weight on the corners and I can run the bigger tires I have waiting.
Old 05-15-2016, 03:19 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Default R1cho

The geometry of this R1 chassis and scx10 axles is hands down better than the ar60 axles unless some ingeniously bent links were used.

I mounted the front shocks inboard and gained a little more clearance. Gained a little more flexing ability, too. If I ran some softer springs and a droop setup, it'd do a complete 90* axle flex. There still was about a 1/2" of shock travel left and when I forced them to bottom out the axle would be vertical.

This is my favorite RC right now. I have a set of stamped bead locks en route and will be here mid week. Then I can put on the bigger Rock Grabber tires and see what it's really capable of doing.

Old 05-18-2016, 06:45 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I painted the bare wheels yesterday and remounted them today with stainless lug nuts. The wheels didn't have any vent holes and would act as a 1:1 tire does. So I drilled two small 1/32" holes into each barrel and it'll conform nicely now. I hacked the original foams up like the staggered lugs on an ag tire and they appear to do well enough.

Prepaint.

Crappy AM pic today.

For comparison, the previous wheel/tire was 2.2 RC4WD Mudslinger on an Axial plastic wheel is 148g. The slightly taller HPI Rock Grabber on 2.2 HR stamped steel bead lock is 217g. That's 69g per corner and 276g total.
Old 06-18-2016, 11:48 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I ordered some proper foams and should have them by the end of the coming week. I'll also fab up some beefier bent links while I'm at it.

#CamBrady2017
Old 08-03-2016, 02:14 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: R1cho......scxR10

Bad assed !!!!
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:29 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I like it. My most fun/capable rig yet. I'm parting together a high speed Bomber right now and it'll be close.

#CamBrady2017
Old 09-08-2016, 10:47 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I took it out today and it was good time until I couldn't take the heat anymore.

Found this little crawly spot at a baseball park on the edge of town.

It had a slightly more difficult time on the loose rocks. The foams are too soft and kept wanting to walk under the cracks. I've got another set just for this but haven't put them in yet.
Old 09-08-2016, 02:37 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Old 09-09-2016, 10:50 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

The foams performed hands down better.

All torqued up, but it made it out without 'the hand'. I had a few turtle overs testing the vertical ability.

I cut out a few new panels yesterday. I'll size them up, make the holes, and lay on some Olive Drab from my Orlandoo project. I also have a proper body bolt bag to use so maybe I'll quit losing nuts and lock washers.
Old 09-11-2016, 05:53 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Oh, for ****'s sake. I've gotten another R1 hybrid moved to the 2.2 section again. Oh well. It's only me and about 2-3 others keeping the GMade section active anyway.
Old 09-11-2016, 06:23 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

I think if you say it has portal axels one person will lay off, then again, nah

HANG UP AND DRIVE !
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 06:31 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

It's cool. I get online on my PC and fumble around forums looking at stuff and noticed the moves. Subscriptions on Tapatalk are sketchy and even now don't show but about half of what I have subscribed.

One ended up here in the 2.2 forum and the other in the General Scale Talk forum. Both run Axial drivetrains and 2.2 wheels.

#CamBrady2017
Old 09-11-2016, 07:41 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

This is sick! Good job
Ltd.yfz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 08:05 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltd.yfz View Post
This is sick! Good job

Thanks. I'll be taking it out tomorrow if the weather breaks. We've had rain off and on all afternoon. Hopefully they'll still be some light runoff in that drain I'll be going back to for some added fun.
Old 09-12-2016, 05:04 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

I took it out again this morning and it went all over the place. But I do a lot of backing up to line up for obstacles. My servo was an Axial stocker and I replaced it with a MG 20kg servo today. Tomorrow I'll have another go at it again and see how this new servo does.

Last edited by Brake Weight; 09-12-2016 at 05:08 PM.
Old 09-13-2016, 10:49 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

The Chinese servo is a substantial improvement over the Tactic. But it still struggled a few times to turn the wheels when they were slightly bound up. For a $11 MG servo I cannot complain.

#CamBrady2017

R1cho......scxR10 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
R1cho Brake Weight 2.2 Scale Rigs 3 05-02-2016 01:46 PM