Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > G-Made Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Thinkcooper's first R1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2016, 06:44 PM   #41
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Thinkcooper's first R1

I'm a fan of 4WS and DIG. It's a blast being able to toggle between four steering modes and three dig modes and experiment to see what combos work best. Stoked in Santa Cruz.

Down at U Dock, Santa Cruz boat harbor

Thinkcooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2016, 02:56 PM   #42
Pebble Pounder

Messing around on the bamboo floor

Last edited by Thinkcooper; 07-28-2020 at 09:37 AM.
Old 11-16-2016, 07:59 AM   #43
Pebble Pounder

Now it's time to do some virtual reality testing with off-the-shelf 360 video and the R1. The eyeball like Samsung Gear 360 camera has a pair of ~190+ degree lenses on either side of the sphere, and can shoot 4K 30fps video. The candy bar shaped Ricoh Theta shown (also have a newer S version) has a slimmer form factor, but is far weaker for video resolution.

The Samsung Gear VR system has a decent workflow working with the Samsung camera. It's all controlled via a Galaxy S7 edge phone when recording, then the camera downloads the raw video to the phone which processes stitching the pair of fisheye videos into a 4K lat/long video, which can then be viewed in the Gear VR head mounted display (HMD). It doesn't support stereo 360, that would require sets of camera pairs pointed in a multiple directions around the horizon. I can deal with mono 360 for fun testing...

I'll fab up a camera mount atop the R1, and tweak height to emulate a feeling of being in the car. VR does a great job of conveying scale as 1:1 based on how high you mount the camera.

Last edited by Thinkcooper; 11-16-2016 at 08:05 AM.
Old 11-26-2016, 06:56 PM   #44
Pebble Pounder

Been doing some testing and captured a few VR 360 monospcopic videos... Here's about 40 seconds driving around inside the R1. If you have Google Cardboard, a Rift, Vive or Gear VR you can view the video in a VR headset.

https://youtu.be/PAnVTX9UzH4
Old 11-27-2016, 12:55 PM   #45
Pebble Pounder

Here are two test VR shots on YouTube taken today using the Samsung 360 camera. Again, these will run awesome in a 360 video enabled browser like Chrome, the YouTube app on your newer iPhone or Android device, or in a VR headset like Oculus Rift, Carboard or Gear VR...

https://youtu.be/Wc9WgUGp8Lc

Samsung Gear Vr testing at Pleasure Point
by thinkcooper, on Flickr

Last edited by Thinkcooper; 11-30-2016 at 02:37 PM.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:42 PM   #46
Pebble Pounder

GMade R1 climbing a short vertical rock face: https://youtu.be/RfabK_ctovk

Had some fun after some long ignored updates ad fixes: new bearings and fresh grease on the portals, GMade piggyback shocks with green springs. Then took it out back to try it out. Works well!

Last edited by Thinkcooper; 02-25-2018 at 10:46 PM.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:45 PM   #47
Pebble Pounder

Here are the out takes:

https://youtu.be/a-taipkLU_E

Last edited by Thinkcooper; 02-26-2018 at 12:09 PM.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:43 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinkcooper View Post
Hmmm. The Junfac DIG instructions call for trimming ~15-20mm off the stock plastic rear driveshaft to accommodate the DIG unit. I was bummed when I discovered that the upgrade Junfac carbon driveshafts I bought a few weeks ago were different lengths, but now I'm wondering if Junfac planned for this short/long set to be used with a DIG unit all along... Who knows, but I'll try it.

Hi, need your help, I just bought a JunFac DIG for my R1 and it is on the way here. from your post you mention that the DIG unit required the stock plastic driveshaft to be trim. The probem is, i am using the Junfac Carbon Steel driveshaft... i used to bought from here (https://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/jun90026.htm) and it consist the below...

unFac Carbon Steel Universal Shaft (95-130mm) 5mm hole x 1
JunFac Carbon Steel Universal Shaft (107-142mm) 5mm hole x 1

May i know does the above it fit the Junfac Carbon driveshafts without modification? I read that the shorter Junfac 82-117mm fits the DIG, so if i need to order a shorter one, do i order 1 shaft or a pair for the Dig system because RPP Hobby have them in 1 piece https://www.rpphobby.com/ProductDeta...90031&CartID=1

Last edited by stonely0; 09-20-2018 at 11:52 PM.
stonely0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 04:45 PM   #49

Nice looking rig. I'm working on one right now and getting alot of ideas from the threads. Hope mine turns out as nice as yours.
mrbuggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 09:21 AM   #50
Pebble Pounder

An oldie but goodie video of some playtime in the backyard. A few years since the build and this R1 still works great. The R1 has been solid. Ended up getting a few more because they're so cheap, and only one set of spares needed. They're a blast to bring on camping trips so fellow campmates can crawl while hanging around the fire.

Repair items?
- Portal bearings
- Gears in the transmission
- Cleaning the DIG, and adjusting the servo's end points after reassembly
Old 07-28-2020, 09:26 AM   #51
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonely0 View Post
Hi, need your help, I just bought a JunFac DIG for my R1 and it is on the way here. from your post you mention that the DIG unit required the stock plastic driveshaft to be trim. The probem is, i am using the Junfac Carbon Steel driveshaft... i used to bought from here (https://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/jun90026.htm) and it consist the below...

unFac Carbon Steel Universal Shaft (95-130mm) 5mm hole x 1
JunFac Carbon Steel Universal Shaft (107-142mm) 5mm hole x 1

May i know does the above it fit the Junfac Carbon driveshafts without modification? I read that the shorter Junfac 82-117mm fits the DIG, so if i need to order a shorter one, do i order 1 shaft or a pair for the Dig system because RPP Hobby have them in 1 piece https://www.rpphobby.com/ProductDeta...90031&CartID=1
Sorry for not seeing your post until now. Yikes! I'll measure the shafts I'm currently running on my R1 with the DIG, and edit this reply with their lengths, for posterity at this point...
Old 07-29-2020, 06:38 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinkcooper View Post
Sorry for not seeing your post until now. Yikes! I'll measure the shafts I'm currently running on my R1 with the DIG, and edit this reply with their lengths, for posterity at this point...
Yes, please i still have the DIG unit in bag and un-assemble as i lack the information to proceed. I wish to buy the exact JunFac steel shaft to fit the DIG unit and so i need your measurement. Thanks alot mate.

Last edited by stonely0; 07-29-2020 at 06:45 PM.
stonely0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 07:23 PM   #53
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonely0 View Post
Yes, please i still have the DIG unit in bag and un-assemble as i lack the information to proceed. I wish to buy the exact JunFac steel shaft to fit the DIG unit and so i need your measurement. Thanks alot mate.
I must have done some custom swapping on my Junfac rear axle, it's a total short length of 89mm. If I recall, it's a combo of the short 82-117 female section and a stock male 95-130 shaft. Not sure I can tell you why I did it that way, but if I tested it and perhaps the short shaft was too short... I'd suggest ordering the stock shaft set, and the short shaft as well. The short shaft is less than $20.
Old 07-30-2020, 07:40 PM   #54
I wanna be Dave

You could look at other brands of driveshafts too, most have splines that allow for some trimming/shortening. The jun fac shaft only has a flat spot (that engages the other side) on the very end so trimming will render these trash.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dig, four wheel steering, gmade r1, virtual reality