Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > G-Made Crawlers

Notices

Thread: My Gmade

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2016, 11:58 AM   #1

Default My Gmade

Ok, before I start with the build, couple of things to understand. I don't do any contest runs, this is just for bashing
around in the area that I most times go to. I started with a Tamiya Brusier, then a G-Made Komodo and have a new Axial
SCX10-ll that is still unfinished, I am not really impressed with the Axial which is proably the reason it sits still only half built.
My Komodo became my favorite almost before it was finished, it went from stock to several changes with 2.2 tires, wider stance, beef tubes
Ackerman knuckles and the list goes on.

So decided to stop tearing my komodo apart and build up a rig for ru[IMG][/IMG]ning in places I mostly go. Of course it had to be a Gmade so was
looking at the R1. I saw the Hot Racing Chassis and decided that was the base to start with for no other reason than I liked the looks of it.
Ordered it along with a complete set of G-Made Portal Axles from Wes at PitStop Hobbies in Langley BC.

So have alot of shinny parts, also have the SSD 2 speed tranny to go in it, so first thing to get done is making a mount for the tranny to sit on.

[IMG][/IMG]
JamesBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2016, 12:27 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: My Gmade

Cool project! Looking forward to seeing your progress.
Thinkcooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 06:28 PM   #3

I worked this weekend to get the tranny mount made, now have the tranny mounted in the frame.

Next to do is build up the axles and then figure out how long to make the suspension links.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-04-2016, 06:37 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Did you use a milling machine to make the tranny plate?
Old 12-04-2016, 09:11 PM   #5

Yes, have a small Sherline Mill and Lathe.
Old 12-06-2016, 11:26 AM   #6

This is going to be cool! Nice start.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 12:11 AM   #7

James, this looks like it's gonna be super cool. When you say you go "bashing around", could you nail that down a little more? I'm really new to rc and am wondering about an R1 build for a rock racer and if that's even feasible. Is that the kind of bashing you're talking about?
PNW Offroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 03:04 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Looks like a cool build project . Is that HR chassis still available? I did a quick search but came up emptyhanded.
TrailDawg362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 03:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW Offroad View Post
James, this looks like it's gonna be super cool. When you say you go "bashing around", could you nail that down a little more? I'm really new to rc and am wondering about an R1 build for a rock racer and if that's even feasible. Is that the kind of bashing you're talking about?
Thanks, what I mean is we just go see how bad we can mistreat our trucks. My Komodo does fine but wanted something that was wider and longer to match up to a friends Axial Bomber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailDawg362 View Post
Looks like a cool build project . Is that HR chassis still available? I did a quick search but came up emptyhanded.
I am sure the frame is still available, as I said ordered it from our local hobby store. Since we are in Canada took extra couple of weeks and more money but he had no trouble getting it for me.
Old 12-11-2016, 11:59 AM   #10

Didn't get much done over the weekend, put one axle together and discovered the first minor problem.

[IMG][/IMG]

With the TieRod on the bottom I get full turn angle, but with it on top, the tie rod hits the diff cover cutting down the turn angle.

Would like to know if anyone has tried this diff cover and if it is possibly thinner? Only need a tiny bit to be able to run the tie rod on top.

GMade Machined Differential Cover (1) for R1 Axle

Hope to have the rest of my axle parts this coming week so I can finish putting both of them together and start sorting out links.

Old 12-11-2016, 06:04 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBC View Post
Didn't get much done over the weekend, put one axle together and discovered the first minor problem.

[IMG][/IMG]

With the TieRod on the bottom I get full turn angle, but with it on top, the tie rod hits the diff cover cutting down the turn angle.

Would like to know if anyone has tried this diff cover and if it is possibly thinner? Only need a tiny bit to be able to run the tie rod on top.

GMade Machined Differential Cover (1) for R1 Axle

Hope to have the rest of my axle parts this coming week so I can finish putting both of them together and start sorting out links.

I took a grinder to the stock metal diff cover to provide clearance for the heavy duty steering rod in the high position. There's a lot of metal in the stock diff cover, and the ground down area behind rod is isn't visible. Pics of this are in my build thread.
Old 12-12-2016, 07:54 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Caption says it all... If the machined diff cover you listed above above works, please let me know - I'd gladly upgrade to it.

Old 12-12-2016, 07:58 AM   #13

Thanks Cooper, never even thought about grinding it down. I will do that and also think I will order the one diff cover and see if its thinner. Shouldn't take more than a couple of weeks to get to Canada.

Either way thanks to you that problem is solved.
Old 12-12-2016, 08:45 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBC View Post
Thanks Cooper, never even thought about grinding it down. I will do that and also think I will order the one diff cover and see if its thinner. Shouldn't take more than a couple of weeks to get to Canada.

Either way thanks to you that problem is solved.
Sure thing! Glad to help. FWIW, I went really slow with my bench grinder, removing tiny amounts of metal, then test fitting to see if I still had interference. The metal on the diff cover is pretty thick, and because it's not structural, you could remove a lot, but I wanted to take off only the barest amount to clear the cover. Go slow, and you'll be set.
Old 12-21-2016, 06:40 PM   #15

Not much done this week, to much other things going on.

I did get both axles together, greased and steering links all made. I still had the one link for servo to install but took picture before doing that.

One thing to remember if anyone is going to put four wheel steer on the portal axles, you need to order the portal gears for the front axle. Seems the one gear in the rear axle has a different size shaft opening from the front ones.

[IMG][/IMG]

After the New Year hope to have it ready to try out, only going to have to order up drive lines which mean a 3 week wait for them once I know the length.
Old 12-23-2016, 02:28 PM   #16

I came across the same problem with the steering rod after I put r1 axles on my sawback 4ls. My plan to solve this: Bend the rod at the ends so the center part is a couple mm more forward.
Mr_Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 03:30 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed View Post
I came across the same problem with the steering rod after I put r1 axles on my sawback 4ls. My plan to solve this: Bend the rod at the ends so the center part is a couple mm more forward.
I did it like Cooper did his, did it by hand with a file and really didn't take much to make it clear.

Now waiting for at least one drive line to show up so can figure out the links at least for the rear axle.

Have a great xmass everyone and safe New Year
Old 12-31-2016, 12:19 PM   #18

Well its all together, really like the four wheel steer. One thing that has to change is need different pinon for it. Low gear is really low, in fact a slug passed me while trying it out on the sidewalk.

Of course my camera decided to die, so only shot is from my phone and that is not the greatest.

But so far love it. Wheel base is 14 and quarter inches.

[IMG][/IMG]

My Gmade - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gmade R1 greengoblin Videos! 0 03-24-2013 07:57 PM