Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > G-Made Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Gibbo's R1 build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2017, 04:52 PM   #41
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Gibbo's R1 build

Glad to see an R1 thread still kicking. LOVE those skins, they absolutely look the part!

I just OD modded my front axle (with Sawback gears) - just messing around down in the shop it feels much more planted. Highly recommended mod.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2017, 07:15 AM   #42
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
Glad to see an R1 thread still kicking. LOVE those skins, they absolutely look the part!

I just OD modded my front axle (with Sawback gears) - just messing around down in the shop it feels much more planted. Highly recommended mod.
Thanks osrc i like the skins to
I've been considering the OD mod for some time but since i play around in comps with this rig and the rules state no OD i have hesitated a bit on this one but what they don't know won't hurt i guess lol

Speaking of which i did another comp on the weekend i still got beat but it ran ok until i lost a wheel on the 3rd course lol

I still cant get the transition shocks to perform how i want and the links def need to be extended but otherwise it was a lot of fun to drive compared to last time
I didn't take many pics but I'll post some up later

My sons scx smoked the course and every one was impressed at how well a 7 yr old got around it....proud dad

Im off on a holiday this weekend so not much will happen with my rigs for a couple of weeks but ill get back into it when i get home
Fubar27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:22 AM   #43
Rock Stacker

No shots of the R1 in action unfortunatly i was to busy driving it
A mate of mine took a vid of me having a roll down a hill I'll see if i can get it up for you all

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Last edited by Fubar27; 04-27-2017 at 06:51 AM.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:56 PM   #44
Rock Stacker

Just for a laugh this is my fail on comp day

http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/59024c9b...3589170032.mp4

Old 06-12-2017, 02:39 PM   #45
Rock Stacker

I haven't posted here for a while as i have been putting alot of time into the scx so thought I might post a vid from the weekend
I still need to put some work into the suspension but i love driving this thing

https://youtu.be/ItSzkkacK64

Old 06-19-2017, 02:05 AM   #46
Rock Stacker

Ok so had a comp on the weekend and it didn't go well........... again lol
I was getting through gate 5 or 6 on the first course nothing over difficult no binding just cruising over a rock (as you do) and the front left axle snapped (known weak point in these things but im not brushless yet so i was a little puzzled) thought I would push on in 3wd but fate had other ideas, not 10 seconds later the rear drive shaft snapped....... bugger DNF on all 3 stages. I don't have spares for this problem yet.

Old 06-19-2017, 02:12 AM   #47
Rock Stacker

Since I've had to pull it all down to fix the broken parts i figured now would be a good time to address some other issues as well
Started on making longer links. For the moment I have used my lower links as the uppers and made some new links out of allthread to get the wheel base right

This is before

This is after

Total increase of around 20mm but I'm thinking of going further

Old 06-19-2017, 04:47 AM   #48
I wanna be Dave

Rear shaft was my only weak link , it ate them

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 02:08 AM   #49
Rock Stacker

The rest of my stuff finaly arrived today
Rcmart are good but there delivery times are terrible
It also seems i ordered the wrong foams by mistake. Anybody know what happens if you put narrow foams in normal tyres?
I have temp mounted the shocks (No oil yet) just to see how they sit, I'll need to space out the top strut a bit but reckon they will perform heaps better than the old G transitions.
I haven't run this rig in a while so looking forward to getting it all back together and finding a trail or 2

Old 07-11-2017, 12:31 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post

I humbly don't understand this? These rigs inherently have poor steering. Doing UNDERDRIVE MOD in rear slows rear end down and creates more steering and sucks center of gravity of rig down. Why would you do this with smaller ratio up front and take away steering by creating push. I know on SCX10's guys do larger rig combo to create more top end on front. I just did underdrive mod on my fiancés ax10 with larger ring gear combo and WOW the difference in steering is amazing and it is definitely more planted.
Thanks for your thoughts in advance. I am waiting for my dig unit to arrive on my newly built R1. Look forward to your response....
konasubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 08:13 AM   #51
I wanna be Dave

Trust me you will want anything for more steering on the R1.
Simply put that was my R1's shortcoming, even 4ws came off poorly vs most others

Hang up and Drive
Old 07-12-2017, 08:33 AM   #52

So mike....Not trying to be right but am I correct here? If I did the mod in the wrong axle I will immediately change. I humbly think doing the mod in the rear dif is the correct way to "suck" chassis down and create more steering OR help reduce the horrible issue...lol....tx for input all.....Dave
Old 07-12-2017, 02:14 PM   #53
Rock Stacker

Hello konasubs

Your right underdrive belongs in the rear diff. It creates a small amount of "drag" in the rear to stretch suspension and lower CoG
Overdrive can be done in the front diff on some models like scx and wraith but i have not seen it done on R1's before.
I think some people are getting a bit confused as to which diff has what parts in them
Old 07-12-2017, 02:21 PM   #54

Tx for response. Ya I know some rock racers want more overdrive with yeti's and wraiths. I have to thank you for this AND also for picturing your rig with metal panels AND freakskins. I got panels from RPP and got some cool hotrod 50's flames with custom Kona's race TEAM skins. I own a deli called Kona's so I get a lil carried away sometimes....lol....tx bro...
Old 07-12-2017, 02:24 PM   #55
Rock Stacker

No problem

You got a build thread for your rig going? Would love to see it. If not post a pic up here
Old 07-13-2017, 10:33 AM   #56

For some reason on this forum and RCTECH that I am a vet of many years I can no longer upload photo's. I humbly use a GREAT FACEBOOK GMADE forum that has a lot of great guys that we share daily. In fact, met a member that is doing some custom machined C hub weights for many of us for the R1 out of L.A...... Friend it and check out the forum. I still follow this and RCTECH, but the Facebook group is super easy to use from your phone. It does included guys that run sawbacks and komodo's, but frankly a few guys that are here and TECH use it as well....REALLY appreciate all the input on this top. I am 1/2 way thru installing my dig unit and realize pilot shaft needs some polishing so apart it all comes....lol.....peace guys
Old 07-13-2017, 01:25 PM   #57
I wanna be Dave

Tapatalk works well here from any phone

Hang up and Drive
Old 07-13-2017, 01:46 PM   #58
Rock Stacker

Yeah i use tapatalk too but which fb group are you referring to id be interested in seeing these chub weights

Old 07-13-2017, 08:03 PM   #59

Its titled "gmade rock crawler group". Guys from all over the world in it. I have really enjoyed it...working on a project with several members to produce brass c hub weights....
Old 07-15-2017, 06:25 AM   #60
Rock Stacker

Bit of an update links are now longer (still need to sleeve the all thread with alloy tubing), shocks are installed with oil, dig system has been removed along with some other unnecessary parts, reworked my elecs a bit (there is now nothing in the back of this rig except 4 links and a drive shaft. Took it out for a test drive over some rocks in my garden, the shocks are good but a bit to stiff so new springs are on order. The longer links and weight removal from rear definatly changes things, she no longer tips back as much as it used to but does "hang up" A bit more than before.
I won't miss the DiG system it was terrible even when it did work. It used to rock the rig backwards when engaging/disengaging throwing it off line. Are all mechanical DiG's this bad?
After testing the truck i started on pulling the wheels apart to put the new foams in i am half way there so not tested yet but i don't think the narrow foams are going to work very well.

Gibbo's R1 build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
scx10 G6 2.2 Wroncho/Wrangler Build (AKA The Sleeping On The Couch Build) Irishchamp 2.2 Scale Rigs 45 10-09-2014 10:26 PM
Jeep scaler build and comp micro crawler build droopmodmrc Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 1 12-25-2012 12:34 PM
~53 Willys 2010 Comp Rig Build~ RC4WD MOA Worminator Build~ 53 willys General Crawlers 108 11-28-2011 12:42 AM
RcBros LCC Build, Hi-Res pics & More Build!! RcBro Team Losi Comp Crawler 30 06-03-2009 07:26 PM