Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > G-Made Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Gibbo's R1 build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2017, 04:04 AM   #21
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Gibbo's R1 build

Ok so last minute i rebuilt the gtransitions befor the comp and i gotta say im glad i did cause they worked very well (not sure how much oil is left in them but they did the job on the day)

I also bolted up the holmes 40turn wich worked very well to the point I'm thinking of keeping it in their and not going down the brushless road.

However thats where the fun stopped!!! The steering is terrible and the weight distribution with the batt in the back made the rig very hard to handle on the course and the tyres gave no grip at all, it was wet but steering right and the car pushing left is not good.
I also broke my new servo at the mounts during a roll over forcing a dnf (fortunately i wasn't driving it during that run so not my dnf) so i will need to look at a more robust setup for the front servo

Even though we did not place well in the comp it was a good day and now i know what to work on before the next one

Here's some pics of the day

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Fubar27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2017, 06:33 AM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Default Gibbo's R1 build

Steering is horrible, Go to 4ws it makes a big difference, also get a front axle batt mount.... really both are musts. I'm running jconcepts "Ruptures" with stock foams, the grip is unreal !

Hang up and Drive

Last edited by mikemcE; 02-19-2017 at 07:20 AM.
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 12:03 PM   #23
Rock Stacker

Hey mike

I have tsl's and rear steer on thier way . Unfortunatly my 2200mah are to big for axle mounting, i am looking at changing all my electrics around to get the battry up front more though. Failing this i may use these batts in my scx and get some small 900mah batts. Another competitor was running these and seemed to work very well
Old 02-21-2017, 03:00 AM   #24
Rock Stacker

Bit of a new look for the R1
AMF alloy body panels and freqeskinz P51 decals.
Can't say enough about these decals they are awsome and the service recieved from freqeskins was A1. There was even a hand written thank you note at the bottom of my reciept.

Old 02-21-2017, 03:01 PM   #25
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubar27 View Post

Great spot for crawling!
Thinkcooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 07:13 PM   #26
Rock Stacker

Yeah not bad coops, that was only part of it but was easy to roll your car into the creek and mostly the cars that weren't water proofed went in lol
Was also raining most of the day so everything was slippery
Old 02-25-2017, 10:57 AM   #27
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Yeah not bad coops, that was only part of it but was easy to roll your car into the creek and mostly the cars that weren't water proofed went in lol
Was also raining most of the day so everything was slippery

Murphy's Law of crawling? If it isn't waterproof, it WILL roll into the river.
Old 03-03-2017, 03:35 AM   #28
Rock Stacker

Finaly got my delivery of parts (only about 2-3 weeks late)
Rear steer, dig kit, high clearance links and some blingy wheels and tsl tyres
Already installed rear steer and links almost done with dig kit however I don't like the fact I have to put my links on the outside of the frame to accomodate the dig. Has anybody figured out a way around this issue?
The tsl's are bigger than i remember them being but feel very grippy over the stock tyres. Had a crack at mounting them last night and gave up they are a pain in the butt to get on. will spend some time on them tomorrow

Will post up some pics when all done and maybe a vid too

Old 03-03-2017, 03:39 AM   #29
Rock Stacker

This order was meant to arrive before the comp but never made it and after running it for the first time over the rocks I realized i need to increase my wheel base so the new links won't be on for long. Wraith links in the near future i think.

Old 03-03-2017, 04:58 PM   #30
Rock Stacker

Bit of an update still a long way to go but its coming along

Old 03-06-2017, 08:42 PM   #31
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Finaly got my delivery of parts (only about 2-3 weeks late)
Rear steer, dig kit, high clearance links and some blingy wheels and tsl tyres
Already installed rear steer and links almost done with dig kit however I don't like the fact I have to put my links on the outside of the frame to accomodate the dig. Has anybody figured out a way around this issue?
The tsl's are bigger than i remember them being but feel very grippy over the stock tyres. Had a crack at mounting them last night and gave up they are a pain in the butt to get on. will spend some time on them tomorrow

Will post up some pics when all done and maybe a vid too

Dig on my build required outside link mounting too. It works fine. One tip though about the dig - polish all the mating surfaces and soften the edges, use plenty of grease on them too - it really helps with engaging/disengaging - details in my build thread.

Thinkcooper's first R1

Last edited by Thinkcooper; 03-06-2017 at 08:45 PM.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:45 PM   #32
Rock Stacker

Hey coops
I told you i had your work on the dig locked in my head haha will be doing it if needed but want to test it first. Also think i may have solved my outside link problem. I realy hate having them mounted on the outside. Will fill you in when its finished
Old 03-11-2017, 04:39 PM   #33
Rock Stacker

Solved my link problem i think

Obviously i will need to get new hardware but this is just testing stage atm

Clearancing on this mount was required to allow for the uni pin. Its sooo tight in there but just misses now

Not sure what effect the shorter upper link's will have on performance as not tested yet but happy that i didn't have to drill holes in my alloy panels and risk tearing my skins with the drill bit

Old 03-16-2017, 08:38 AM   #34
Pebble Pounder

Clever link solution. Good thinking!
Old 03-31-2017, 07:05 AM   #35
Rock Stacker

I picked up a hobbywing 1080esc yesterday to get this thing rolling instead of using the crappy ae5, Its tiny in comparison. I plugged it into the program board and set it up the way i wan't it before mounting it in the crawler. Once mounted i bolted up some old servo's just to get it all setup and do some bench testing but silly me forgot that the rear servo is not rated above 6 volt.......it lasted about half an hour before it decided it couldn't take it any more and started smoking it's nuts off lol

I also mounted my reciever under the dig plate which keeps it out of the way. It's a waterproof spectrum one so no need for a box which is great for this rig as not much space. being mounted here also keeps the wiring neat and mostly out of the way

I have done away with the plug on the motor and hard wired it. I know some people will not like this idea but i have burnt out plugs before and its not fun. Besides it's pretty easy to grab a soldering iron, heat it up and pull the cables off if i need to.

I'm finding it hard to program the dig unit on the dx4 (rear steer was a peace of cake in comparison) anybody know the trick to this?

Old 04-01-2017, 12:00 AM   #36
Rock Stacker

Holy crapp i just took the R1 out for its first crawl after adding all the upgrades.....WOWWWW......the difference is unbelievable. I am now running a 1000mah batt on the axle so the weight bias is loads better and the four wheel steer is crazy. The drag brake on the 1080 is a lot better than the ae5 but i still need to work on the dig, i had it set up correctly but the servo was dead, switched out the servo and now it works but needs a lot of adjustment before i can use it.
The proline tyres have some good grip but need to be run in. The stock foams are rubbish so i will change them later

I will get the dig working properly tomorrow and try and get some vids posted

Last edited by Fubar27; 04-01-2017 at 11:27 PM.
Old 04-04-2017, 07:56 AM   #37
Pebble Pounder

I'm not familiar with the D4 transmitter, but to control the DIG with my Airtronics, I assigned one of the three position mechanical AUX switches to the DIG's servo channel. With a little tuning of endpoints the transmitter switch controls the forward, mid and back servo points for the DIG. Maybe there's an equivalent switch on the D4? Hope that helps some...
Old 04-09-2017, 07:34 AM   #38
Rock Stacker

Hey coops thats exactly what i did with mine but After smoking 4 servos trying to get the dig working correctly(voltage errors and end points at 100%) i have given up (no more servos left in my spares box) and temporarily connected the control arm to the chassis to keep it in 4wd for now. Will get it working at a later date as i am going on holidays soon and need the cash for that......i know priorities right lol

Took the R1 out for another spin with a mate who has a very capable scx comp rig and i was surprised at how far they both got. he was running 1.9s so i did have an advantage but he still beat me i realy need to get longer links in this thing.
I pushed it fairly hard to see what would break and after several rolls and launching it off rocks the only failure was my upper front link. it came undone because i forgot to use thread lock on them , I'm pretty happy with that.
The scx however ended up rotating a chub and needed to be carried out.
Still loving the 4ws its amazing how tight it turns now. before i did this mod i was thinking of doing the wrapter mod and although i still could its just not worth it.
The crab crawl has got me out of some tight situations too but still learning to get my head around that one.

We have a comp coming up in about 2 weeks and im keen to see how she goes. Im not going to change anything until then but will probably change the links after and maybe the motor and esc too, there good but id realy like to get a brushless set up in this thing .

Last edited by Fubar27; 04-09-2017 at 07:36 AM.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:23 AM   #39
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Hey coops thats exactly what i did with mine but After smoking 4 servos trying to get the dig working correctly(voltage errors and end points at 100%) i have given up (no more servos left in my spares box) and temporarily connected the control arm to the chassis to keep it in 4wd for now. Will get it working at a later date as i am going on holidays soon and need the cash for that......i know priorities right lol
That's a bummer. If it's any help, I am running a high torque, metal gear servo on my DIG. It's not a high-end one, but it has held up okay. I'm wondering if there's any drag along the engagement shaft and your bulkhead bearing. Hope it gets sorted out.

I find I use the 4WS more than DIG, it almost feels like cheating.
Old 04-12-2017, 03:32 PM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinkcooper View Post
That's a bummer. If it's any help, I am running a high torque, metal gear servo on my DIG. It's not a high-end one, but it has held up okay. I'm wondering if there's any drag along the engagement shaft and your bulkhead bearing. Hope it gets sorted out.

I find I use the 4WS more than DIG, it almost feels like cheating.
Agreed, I thought dig, BUT w/o proportional control or UD in the rear, I prefer 4ws.

I run a servo shift in the Yeti, End Points are quite short......
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote

Gibbo's R1 build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
scx10 G6 2.2 Wroncho/Wrangler Build (AKA The Sleeping On The Couch Build) Irishchamp 2.2 Scale Rigs 45 10-09-2014 10:26 PM
Jeep scaler build and comp micro crawler build droopmodmrc Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 1 12-25-2012 12:34 PM
~53 Willys 2010 Comp Rig Build~ RC4WD MOA Worminator Build~ 53 willys General Crawlers 108 11-28-2011 12:42 AM
RcBros LCC Build, Hi-Res pics & More Build!! RcBro Team Losi Comp Crawler 30 06-03-2009 07:26 PM