Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > G-Made Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Gibbo's R1 build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2017, 04:14 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Gibbo's R1 build

G'day from down under

I know these trucks are old now but I've always wanted one and santa was nice enough to drop one under my tree so figured i should do a build thread seeing as though I cant leave things stock. I have a few other crawlers that I have worked on over the years but this will be my first real "build" and my first forum thread.

Initial assembely of the kit was easy enough and i wont bore you all with a full write up and 400 pics of it but i did make 1 mistake I didn't realize that the shocks had different damper rates and the multiple holes in the little white dampers went unnoticed during assembly so my shocks are all different.......bugger gues I'll have to rebuild them lol.

I'll post a pic of the completed stock car as soon as i can figure out how

My plan is to make this car into a pure crawler as I get bored with bashing pretty quickly and I'm lucky enough to have more than a few good places to crawl near my place.

I have already ordered some upgrade parts and there will be plenty more getting ordered as soon as the bank balance lets me

Now lets see if this works haha
Fubar27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2017, 04:30 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Gibbo's R1 build

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Old 02-03-2017, 04:35 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Thata a lot of flex for a stock rig no modding no adjustments just as it was out of the box
Old 02-03-2017, 07:52 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Glad to see new blood building and sharing about an R1. What a great little truck. What are you planning for motor/esc and servos?
Thinkcooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 03:38 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Hey coops
I read your build thread thats a nice R1 you have and your work on the dig is locked in the back of my head for future plans
Can't tell you what motor/esc i will be running yet (just can't make up my mind) it'll be some sort of sensored brushless set up

I took my lexan body panels into work yesty and gave them to my painter, he ballsed em up but the fried up effect in the paint work actually looks kinda cool. Their only temporary anyway as i plan on getting some amf alloy panels later on. I will post up some pics shortly
Old 02-03-2017, 03:44 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Old 02-03-2017, 03:50 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

When i got home last night there was a delivery waiting for me. Guess I'll be busy today

Sorry the pic is a bit blurry

Old 02-03-2017, 11:26 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

From this⬆⬆⬆ to this ⬇⬇⬇

And the rear

Also picked this up the other day
Second hand but only used twice so im happy

Guess what the other 2 channels will be used for lol

Last edited by Fubar27; 02-03-2017 at 11:44 PM.
Old 02-03-2017, 11:30 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

The delrin skid plate is an awesome upgrade but the adjustable link mounts have put the diffs at a bad angle, the drive shaft is almost dead straight. Will need to adjust some more to get a bettet angle. On the upside won't be needing the 7 degree chubs

Old 02-03-2017, 11:34 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

After looking at the pics I may flip the upper link mount this should give me a better angle on the diff
Old 02-04-2017, 10:16 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubar27 View Post
The delrin skid plate is an awesome upgrade but the adjustable link mounts have put the diffs at a bad angle, the drive shaft is almost dead straight. Will need to adjust some more to get a bettet angle. On the upside won't be needing the 7 degree chubs

I went with 7 degree Chubs front and rear (to accomodate 4WS), and in rettrospect, they weren't really neccessary based on the relatively stock ride height I'm running. You'll be fine with the stock angle Chubs.
Thinkcooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 10:40 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

I've had issues on my rear driveshaft with too much angle, breaks the end bell . Did you clock your front ?

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 03:42 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

This is prob the best photo i can get to show the diff angle

The upper links have 2 chassis mounts so i moved my links to the rear holes, it made a huge difference

Now i gotta fix the rear diff but the bloody screws are behind the body panels......ggrrrrrrrr

Old 02-05-2017, 03:43 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

G'day Mike

What do you mean by "clock your front"?
Old 02-05-2017, 06:48 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
G'day Mike

What do you mean by "clock your front"?

Rotating your chubs so your tie rod has more clearance

Hang up and Drive
Old 02-05-2017, 10:51 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
Rotating your chubs so your tie rod has more clearance

Hang up and Drive
Ahh no i didn't I'll look into that. Thanks mike

Old 02-13-2017, 04:12 AM   #17
Rock Stacker

I have a comp this sunday so its full steam ahead just to get this build rolling. I stole the electrics from my scx and took the R1 for a test run up a local track, it did well considering its still mostly stock but their are some improvments i need to make to get it comp worthy. So i put in an order with rcmart and rpp for a few things that should arrive before the end of the week.

I also burnt my last motor out on the test run (bugger) thankfuly a mate of mine has a brand new 40t holmes that he can sell me cheap so that will do till i can afford the brushless setup i am after.

I am also having a hard time with these usless gtransition shocks just sitting on my bench never run and half the oil has leaked out, so i rebuilt them (had to anyway to fix the incorrect damper problem) and came up with the brainwave idea of mounting them upside down to try and keep the oil in......needless to say this has not worked out. Im tossing up weather to rebuild them again just before the comp or loose some articulation and put some 90mm proline powerstrokes on it that i have on the scx

Anyway here's a pic of the test track

Old 02-17-2017, 06:21 AM   #18
Rock Stacker

Unfortunatly my deliveries have not arrived in time for the 1st comp so i will be running it in mostly stock mode. i did manage to upgrade the steering servo from the tactic that i stole out of the scx to a hitec 5585, should make a slight improvment.

I gave up on the gtransitions and bolted my prolines on. As expected I have lost some clearance but at least I know they will perform.

I also picked up a couple of gens ace 3s 2200mah 55c lipo's. They make a massive difference over the 2s 5000mah turnigy i was using and they dont stick out the back.

Old 02-17-2017, 03:02 PM   #19

I lov my DX4s but wished id help out and bought the 6 instead. Got mine local with both receivers for 185.00 and was a nice jump from my Flysky
BEARCUBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 03:57 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Unfortunatly my deliveries have not arrived in time for the 1st comp so i will be running it in mostly stock mode. i did manage to upgrade the steering servo from the tactic that i stole out of the scx to a hitec 5585, should make a slight improvment.

I gave up on the gtransitions and bolted my prolines on. As expected I have lost some clearance but at least I know they will perform.

I also picked up a couple of gens ace 3s 2200mah 55c lipo's. They make a massive difference over the 2s 5000mah turnigy i was using and they dont stick out the back.

Those should last a hour or more, I'm running "huge" 1200 3s and they are huge vs what I run on my Bully MOA
But I run both batt axle mounted, helps a bit on torque twist

Hang up and Drive

Gibbo's R1 build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
scx10 G6 2.2 Wroncho/Wrangler Build (AKA The Sleeping On The Couch Build) Irishchamp 2.2 Scale Rigs 45 10-09-2014 10:26 PM
Jeep scaler build and comp micro crawler build droopmodmrc Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 1 12-25-2012 12:34 PM
~53 Willys 2010 Comp Rig Build~ RC4WD MOA Worminator Build~ 53 willys General Crawlers 108 11-28-2011 12:42 AM
RcBros LCC Build, Hi-Res pics & More Build!! RcBro Team Losi Comp Crawler 30 06-03-2009 07:26 PM