Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > G-Made Crawlers

Notices

Thread: R1 Frankenbuggy advise?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2017, 09:12 AM   #1

Default R1 Frankenbuggy advise?

Hi guys..just getting into crawling but have been driving 1/8 nitro and 1/10 for awhile...my friend lent me a modded AX10 that I started messing around with and I got hooked...

I traded one of my cars for a crawler that was a bit of a mix of parts..I really wasnt happy with it so I'm starting over...I have a R1 chassis and a set of Wraith axles and aftermarket links...I also have a set of AX10 high clearance lower links...Going to be running 102mm team associated shocks

Ive read all the threads I can find and it appears the wraith axles will work with the R1 chassis...my question is more in the links...should I get a set of R1 high clearance links or can I use the Wraith links which I believe will extend the wheelbase...The chassis wont be here for a few days so I'm trying to round up all the parts in the mean time..

My main goal is max flex...if I can get it to work as well as the ax10 I will be happy...any suggestions on a good combo of parts would be appreciated..I will post some pics when I get it done...
wydopen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2017, 09:30 AM   #2
MODERATOR™

Default Re: R1 Frankenbuggy advise?

Max flex gets you nowhere.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 10:25 AM   #3

Max flex is a newbie mistake that was fed by forums, such as this one, a few years ago when flex shots were all the rage.

Too much flex creates an unstable rig that is likely to fall onto its side.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 11:02 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Balance is much more critical , flex is needed but has to be smooth and square....no side movement of axles

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 02:46 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Max flex is a newbie mistake that was fed by forums, such as this one, a few years ago when flex shots were all the rage.

Too much flex creates an unstable rig that is likely to fall onto its side.
What's the ideal degree of flex? I've seen differing numbers, but would love to hear opinions.
Thinkcooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 03:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinkcooper View Post
What's the ideal degree of flex? I've seen differing numbers, but would love to hear opinions.
I mostly stick in the realm of scalers where one tire height of flex is a good target. I'm not sure if the same applies to this type of rig.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 04:21 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Shock and link length combined with max driveshaft angles. Jato is very close to what will work. Once you go to extreme lengths, it usually won't be smooth, sticking suspension can lead to turtles and worse....

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 11:20 AM   #8

Does anybody have a pic of an R1 chassis with Wraith axles?? Have mine mocked up but unfortunately having the pumpkin offset to one side on the Wraith axles is causing some problems with the front upper links.

I was able to get the rear to work by mounting upper links on the outside of the chassis but the shape of the chassis is different in the front and the links rub on the chassis...I cant mount them on the inside because they touch the driveshaft...I tired flipping the tranny around so it is opposite the pumpkin which solves my clearance issues but then the driveshafts are too short...

I saw a few posts with people saying they run wraith axles on the R1 but I cant find any pics...not using the stock R1 tranny either so that might be part of the problem...I am actually using Wraith bent upper links for my lower links and using some AX10 parts for the upper links in the rear...my only option might be to make bent upper links but I still think it is going to rub... thanks for the help

Last edited by wydopen; 02-27-2017 at 11:50 AM.
Old 03-01-2017, 02:55 PM   #9

Gave it a test and it actually works really well...with where I have the front top links there is a bit of a reward axle path in the front but it worked way better than I thought...has about a tire heights of flex..

initially I was worried about the shocks being too stiff... even with soft ax10 springs and only a few drops of 20wt it's fairly stiff compared to my friends ax10 but I think it actually works better..cleaned a few lines I havent been able to with the ax10...seems it's easier to get both tires over a ledge without the low one being so drooped out....

running a novak rooster crawler esc and 55t motor.....will post some pics once I clean up the wiring and attach the body panels....only thing I need to change is the flexy stock wraith plastic steering link..have a protek 170tbl servo I was going to use which has about 650oz of torque but I think the Hitec Im running that has about 350 will do the trick..will save me from having to add an external bec too...

Last edited by wydopen; 03-09-2017 at 08:54 AM.
Old 03-24-2017, 03:28 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I tried Wraith axles on my R1 chassis and they did OK. I swapped to scx10 axles and it crawls way better. The wide stance of the ar60 leaves a lot of space for hang ups. The narrower scx axle lessened that drawback. My build got moved though. Too soft of suspension can cause tire lift and torque twist. So I swapped for some longer and stiffer shocks/springs. More dampening and more stroke helped a lot. If I force it, it will nearly go 90* per axle. But the springs won't allow it to do this under its own weight.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote

R1 Frankenbuggy advise? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The FRANKENBUGGY!!! jrad1988 Axial SCX-10 8 08-11-2013 11:13 PM
some advise please hawkmaster Newbie General 5 04-14-2013 03:56 AM
Need some advise. eisman Pennsylvania 1 05-03-2012 06:08 PM
Need a little advise MeadowMuffin 1.9 Scale Rigs 2 11-30-2011 09:25 PM
Your Advise AD-1 Newbie General 2 08-28-2007 01:14 PM