Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > G-Made Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Thinking about getting Komodo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2017, 08:31 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Thinking about getting Komodo

What are some of the tricks and fixes to make it a better rig? I read in another post high knuckle steer or something? I plan to run it in the 1.9 scale class (of course) for our local club. Lots of different types of trucks but mainly SCX10's & 10 II's. Thx in advance.

Cheers!
Snipervision is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2017, 12:52 AM   #2

Default Re: Thinking about getting Komodo

I got one a couple of months ago... I'm very happy with my choice. It's a very capable rig. The steering is not the best... but upgrades are available from JunFac (Zero Ackerman knuckles). The lexan body is very strong, nice design and quality. Plenty of lighting options, bumpers, even CMS. Can't go wrong with this one.
Good luck!
GT
Yiova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 09:41 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Thx Yiova, I found zero ackerman knuckles & also saw 6mm wideners & internal axle weights. Both things I believe I will add right away.

Anyone with any other suggestions?

Cheers!
Old 03-22-2017, 11:09 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I have a Sawback 4ls. Pretty much the same.

I added the following:

1. zero ackerman knuckles
2. zero ackerman steering links
3. aluminum hubs
4. brass axle weights
5. rock sliders
6. CVDs (I bought the GMade and the GPM ones, Had some issues with the GMade ones, but finally got them working. Going to compare the GPM ones when I have time.)
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 06:47 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
I have a Sawback 4ls. Pretty much the same.

I added the following:

1. zero ackerman knuckles
2. zero ackerman steering links
3. aluminum hubs
4. brass axle weights
5. rock sliders
6. CVDs (I bought the GMade and the GPM ones, Had some issues with the GMade ones, but finally got them working. Going to compare the GPM ones when I have time.)
Thx Soze. Looks like roughly $90 from Junfac. I'll be ordering everything this weekend & trading some old RC stuff for the Komodo.

If anyone else has any recomendations please chime in.

Cheers!
Old 03-22-2017, 08:26 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiova View Post
I got one a couple of months ago... I'm very happy with my choice. It's a very capable rig. The steering is not the best... but upgrades are available from JunFac (Zero Ackerman knuckles). The lexan body is very strong, nice design and quality. Plenty of lighting options, bumpers, even CMS. Can't go wrong with this one.
Good luck!
GT
Who sells the cms kit for the Komodo? I've been looking for one for a while.
Randy Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 08:55 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Williams View Post
Who sells the cms kit for the Komodo? I've been looking for one for a while.
GMade makes one. At least they do for the Sawback, but should be the same for Komodo.

GS01 Chassis Mounted Steering Servo Kit
GM52411S

RPP and Amain should have it I think.
Old 03-23-2017, 01:26 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

GS01 Chassis Mounted Steering Servo Kit [GM52411S] : JunFac.com That's your link for the cms off of junfacs website. I'm glad someone asked about the Komodo as I was considering getting one. I really like the scx 10 2, however the scarcity of the kit and parts supply issues, which my lhs has confirmed they are also having a hard time getting anything. I think the Komodo is going to be my next rc.
Ghonda99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 01:36 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

I agree with everything above Seriously, it is more than a capable rig, seems like you need less after market parts to make it really work well. I drove one at our meet last weekend and ended up buying it.
mHoups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 08:20 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Looks like Junfac offers both a chassis & an axle servo mount kit in aluminum. We can run either in our comp series. It looks like the axle mount will get the weight lower (aka COG..center of gravity). Thoughts?

Cheers!
Old 03-25-2017, 08:38 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Stopped out to hobby shop today to pick up my Komodo & they sold the last one yesterday. He ordered one for me but they are on back order. On a side note I ordered another Thunder AC680 charger & Spectrum DX4C (for this truck) today from Amazon. At least I can look at my new radio in 2 days & pretend I'm driving the Komodo. Going to go to RC track tomorrow with the kids and run our slashes. Hopefully no rain tomorrow.

Cheers!
Old 04-04-2017, 10:31 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Well stopped back again & they had one slightly used Komodo kit & one new RTR. Guess what I bought?
Old 04-04-2017, 10:34 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Bought both.
Old 04-04-2017, 12:15 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Nice!

I've since ordered Gmade 20031 Shock Spring 19X58mm Soft Green 00 GMA0020031 for my Sawback 4LS. I should be getting it at end of week.

I think you're going to want the softer springs eventually.

Actually, I think the Komodo uses different shocks right? the Sawback 4LS came with Gmade XD Aeration 90mm shocks.
Old 04-04-2017, 01:57 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Nice!! An underrated platform for sure. Definitely keep us updated with your mods.

Not sure if you've been there yet, but rcrun.com is the official gmade importer and carries all the hop ups. Ordered quite a bit from there for my Sawbacks..
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 05:10 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Congrats on two new G-Mades and yes they are an under-rated platform! Love the leaf sprung Sawback too. Great gmade parts importer site rcrun.com thanks OSRC.

RPPHobby.com has lots of G-Made kits, parts and option parts too.
http://www.rpphobby.com/SearchResult...Search=sawback

Last edited by Natedog; 04-04-2017 at 05:17 PM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 11:00 AM   #17

I did modified my Komodo to have the CMS. Did my own bracket for the panhard link. It works perfectly with close to none bump steer. I will try to post pictures of the custom links and panhard bracket... very easy using the parts tree of the kit.
Also, did relocate the battery using the own receiver box plate. Looks like factory installation.
The chassis bumper kit is great to add a winch using the stock bumper.
Yiova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 08:00 PM   #18

Forget the cms and move the battery to the front. I haven't had any luck with the stock wheels holding either. My opinion on the Komodo is you have to dump alot of money in it to make it comparable to a Axial or Vaterra. I like my komodo but I do regret it. So far I have done axle weights, forward mount battery tray witch is a waste. I used the rear battery setup on the front so I could mount the battery low. I installed zero Ackerman knuckles as well as the linkage assembly. I also did the Gmade cvd front axles. I purchased the cms kit but can't use it with a forward mount battery. After climbing test performance with battery up front is much better than in the back. If you get a rtr one plan on replacing the esc and motor.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
audio18man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 08:57 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Thx everyone for the suggestions. I am going to order a boat load of Junfac parts this weekend. My plan is to mod the kit version first & leave RTR alone for now. Kit uses a crappy motor/esc combo but will change to Hobbywing Quicrun 1080P + Holmes Hobby 35t trail brushed in a few weeks. Cheers!
Old 04-10-2017, 10:48 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Yeah, the stock ESC/Motor combo is bound to give out fairly easily. The Long CVD's either from GPM or Junfac are prone to failure if your hard on the truck, either that or I am just having really bad luck. Stock tires, yeah, they do not hold onto the bead well at all, I would think you could keep the stock tires but would need new wheels to deal with the bead. Any tires that are taller than stock you will start to get body rub. Also you may want to get some green (forget the name of it) but it helps seal up the shocks so they don't leak quite as badly plus using teflon tape on the threads and your shocks should leak a lot less (same really for most any shocks). Actually about to try and sell mine here shortly as I need some more Cash for other endeavors such as my Florida Vacation in a month .

Overall it isn't a bad truck, just needs some TLC and some mods here and there.

Also might want to look at getting the Team KNK Hardware for the rig. Hex screws are a bit easier to work with than Phillips Head on trucks such as these.
malickie is offline   Reply With Quote

Thinking about getting Komodo - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need Help with Komodo Scionizer07 G-Made Crawlers 4 04-13-2016 09:48 PM
Im thinking thinking about whats next...lol buggynutt Kyosho Crawlers 6 03-08-2012 09:04 AM
komodo 2.2 bamaboy1992 General Crawlers 6 09-20-2011 10:03 PM
Komodo tutit 1.9 Scale Rigs 4 12-06-2009 06:04 PM