Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > G-Made Crawlers

Notices

Thread: First GOM issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2018, 07:48 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default First GOM issue

Had my first breakage today and found it interesting so I thought I'd share.

I was shifting from 1st to 2nd and it just grinded between the two. Shifted back to 1st and just got a neutral instead. Bent down to push the truck into gear and the drivetrain was just locked up.

After a 45 minute tear down to get into the transmission, I found the shift fork melted into the sliding clutch. It looks like I needed a bit more grease in there. Also seeing the value of the aluminum shift fork!

Bigger the gob, better the job.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
poohsad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2018, 11:20 PM   #2

Default Re: First GOM issue

Geezz. Thanks for sharing. Now if only they would make a dig fork in aluminum.
Drvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 03:28 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Whilst you have it apart, might be worth ordering the metals gears as well...saves another job in the future.
thewildblue77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 06:30 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I would prefer a metal clutch slider. Don't have those yet.

Old 02-21-2018, 09:39 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Did you grease the inside of the shift cog/mechanism? I ask because it kind of looks like there's grease in there and having grease here is not called for and will typically make the shift mechanism sticky and lead to miss shifts. When this shift fork is pushing the the cog from side to side the grease could act to seal in air and prevent the cog from engaging, also enough grease could be hard for the shifted cog to displace leading to it not fully engaging, lastly its just sticky. These areas are best left un-greased, grease the gears, Yes, the shift mechanism, no (I mean the internal parts not the servo rod).
I was careful not to let any grease get in here when assembling each of the shifter gear sets as I've done this before with a Wraith 2 speed, the instructions didn't call for grease but what could that hurt right its just grease? Well a few hours later I was tearing it down to clean all of the grease out after it simply refused to shift anymore, after the grease was cleaned out it was back to normal.

Also It looks very likely that your shift servo was trying to push the shift fork farther than it could go, the only sure fire way to melt the area you melted is if that shift fork had a lot of pressure pushing on it. That could be a result of the grease keeping the gears from fully engaging or the shift servos endpoints being a bit too much.
By the way if your shift servo is still healthy you've got a keeper, lol

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 02-21-2018 at 11:51 AM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 11:14 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Yea, the servo survived. Its one of those cheapo PowerHD ones. It was still shifting and sliding the clutch back and forth, but the fused fork/clutch wouldn't let it roll. Not bad for $20.

I'll try it without grease on the slider when I reassemble things. I like your theory.

Old 02-21-2018, 12:28 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I'm not sure if you've got around to ordering parts or not but RPP has the plastic parts tree
It should be much faster than coming from Korea, though if you wanted the aluminum shift fork for the 2 speed I think it likely has to come from there, I think Junfac is the only place that has them in stock.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 02-21-2018 at 12:30 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 06:34 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Also It looks very likely that your shift servo was trying to push the shift fork farther than it could go, the only sure fire way to melt the area you melted is if that shift fork had a lot of pressure pushing on it.
I'm over here armchair-quarterbacking, and I think this nails it. Endpoints. The grease is an interesting theory, but it looks like the servo was putting constant pressure on it.
TooOldForThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 03:27 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

I'm not counting it out, but I would think if my endpoints weren't correct, I would have heard my servo screaming in agony in 2nd or dig. I did measure the length of the shift rod with my calipers, too. But at the end of the day, I'm the one that put it together, so I'm sure it's my fault. Murphy's Law.

I did make the mistake of ordering from Junfac. Might get to put this truck together before summer.

First GOM issue - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gom and Wraith at the beach HumboldtEF Videos! 2 03-07-2018 03:04 AM
GOM Transmitter jimkill G-Made Crawlers 14 02-24-2018 09:56 AM
Gom shock settings Drvon G-Made Crawlers 4 02-10-2018 08:11 AM
Yeti for a GOM jimkill G-Made Crawlers 16 12-28-2017 03:46 PM
Gmade Gom crawling on the backyard course HumboldtEF Videos! 2 11-03-2017 09:39 AM