RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   G-Made Crawlers (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/g-made-crawlers/)
-   -   GOM Transmission Grease? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/g-made-crawlers/599660-gom-transmission-grease.html)

norco kid 06-16-2018 07:50 AM

GOM Transmission Grease?

The manual doesn't state to grease the shift forks or clutch mechanisms but I'm wondering if I should. I've heard that shifting can be finicky so I don't want to create extra stiction/drag if I don't have to.

BAJAREY2017 06-16-2018 08:51 AM

Re: GOM Transmission Grease?

I didn’t grease mine and it shifts fine. It tells you to grease the channel the rod goes in for the 2 speed and dig gear and that attracts dirt causing it hard to shift. I have to clean it after every time out. It doesn’t take much to make not want to shift but I do take mine in sand, water and mud. If you stick to rock crawling it probably won’t be as much of an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

norco kid 06-16-2018 09:14 AM

Thanks for the feedback! Mine doesn't even say to grease the rod, only the gears. I'll put a bit of grease on the fork where it sits in the clutch and I'll leave the rest dry for now..

norco kid 06-17-2018 09:02 AM

Ok I see where they tell you to grease the rod it's later on in the manual

HumboldtEF 06-17-2018 09:24 AM

I did not grease the shift fork, In my experience it only causes miss shifts as it can get sticky or air locked.

EDIT: actually I was thinking of the shifter slide/dog box area and not the fork with this comment, grease on the fork is probably ok but I didn't grease it.

poohsad 06-17-2018 01:48 PM

I have a thread on here with some pictures, but my shift fork melted into that clutch slider because I didn't have enough grease on it. I'd recommend putting some on there.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

BAJAREY2017 06-17-2018 01:50 PM

I never greased mine and I have a lot of time on it and no issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HumboldtEF 06-19-2018 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poohsad (Post 5842960)
I have a thread on here with some pictures, but my shift fork melted into that clutch slider because I didn't have enough grease on it. I'd recommend putting some on there.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

That was almost certainly due to another issue like not being able to physically engage dig or 2nd gear yet it was trying and trying to move farther than it was allowed to. That thing did melt pretty good but that was definitely a special circumstance.

Anyway I meant to clarify my post above, grease on the fork is probably okay but definitely dont grease the dog box/shifter slide area, thats what I had in mind when I posted originally.