Notices

Thread: GMADE BOM Gearbox problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2018, 11:23 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: GMADE BOM Gearbox problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailDawg362 View Post
While installing the motor, I noticed a screw missing in the trans assembly. I'm usually very thorough but I overlooked a 3x12mm screw coming up from the bottom (page 26). Anyone else miss it, or am I just getting sloppy in my old age?
I almost missed it, but the reason I didn't is in the way I do my build process.

For each step, I gather all the hardware and parts required for that step and put it aside during that step.

It helps me come across missing parts, or something I missed during the step if I have extra hardware leftover when I think I finished.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2018, 07:52 AM   #22
RCC Addict

Yep, almost omitted that one myself. Like soze said, I KNOW I'm going to forget things so I lay out the parts and hardware I need for the step I'm on in the slots on my work mat. Extra screws have to go somewhere...

But yes, you're getting sloppy.

If it makes you feel better, I installed the links wrong three times while looking at a PICTURE no less. Then I posted a picture myself and noticed I STILL had one in wrong.

Last edited by 2mtech; 09-24-2018 at 07:55 AM.
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 11:07 AM   #23
RCC Addict

I blame it on the excitement of a new build
TrailDawg362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 11:28 AM   #24
Quarry Creeper

Must admit, only noticed at the end of the build. Just seemed kinda odd, so I put a screw in it.
Old n ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 06:55 AM   #25
Quarry Creeper

I damn near missed it.
jwcustomwurks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 01:33 AM   #26
RCC Addict

Has anyone changed the stock motor pinion and noticed more gear noise than before? I switched to a Robinson Racing 11T gear to get a little slower startup and it's noticeably louder. I'm hoping it will wear in. The stock setup was pretty quiet.
TrailDawg362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 06:17 AM   #27
I wanna be Dave

I have a Traxxas 11t in mine. It's a bit louder, but not blender loud like my Sawback. I think Gmade just seems to use a slightly different tooth profile which causes the noise. Seems to go away as it wears in.

Wondering if the OP ever solved his problem?
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 05:37 PM   #28

anyone have issues with diff? mine making weird noise and at low rev's "truck on 4 jack stands" tires seem to stutter. thinking I might have to re open diff's. rear wheels have a wobble changed to different set of rims and same issue
Gizmokun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 09:26 PM   #29

Had some popping noises coming for my trans today seemed like it was the gears that goto the front diff
goatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 01:14 PM   #30

Also were some noises from gearbox from the beginning ... and now broke one tooth gear (((( Only two short ride....
Volgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 12:33 PM   #31

Hello all, I’m pretty sure the problem most are experiencing is encountered when the BOM is under a heavy load the frame and center cross member twist just a tiny bit. Since the center cross member is integrated with the transmission this miss-aligns the gears just enough to cause noises and breakage. I remember viewing this in a video when I was considering buying one. This is the only reason o am not a BOM owner. I considered creating a fix by adding extra rigidity to the frame somehow but I’ve given up on the idea. I do have a GOM but I’m not really a fan of this either. Too much plastic for me.
NWRCGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 02:23 PM   #32
I wanna be Dave

I have the upgraded replacement housing in hand. I'll document the differences when I get around to it.
Old 12-25-2018, 06:42 PM   #33
Rock Stacker

im waiting on the replacement gearbox part but I solved most of the problems by changing the clamping plates out to a bolt and nut setup
steamboatbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 09:36 AM   #34
I wanna be Dave

I got around to installing the replacement parts last night and posted them up.

Replacement parts for transmission issue
Old 12-29-2018, 01:30 PM   #35
Quarry Creeper

First run out today for me with the updated trans casing parts. MUCH better, not a single click all day and back to the nice quiet trans of when I originally built it. Now a very happy bunny indeed with this truck!
Old 12-29-2018, 04:09 PM   #36
I wanna be Dave

Shows how GMade addresses problems . Keep us in the loop, but looks to be a permanent fix with the new design

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 12:43 AM   #37
RCC Addict

How are you guys getting the updated trans housing/skid? My son is about 1/2 way through building his kit (under close supervision) and I noticed that it has the original style parts. Seeing how buried in the car these parts will be, it would be nice to just go straight to the updated parts (paint & electronics won't be here for a week or so, so a little downtime now won't be the end of the world if it'll save some trailside headaches later.)

I did end up mating the top/bottom halves together for him and it took significant effort to get everything aligned, but it made a very positive "click" and everything seemed to fit together very nicely with no gaps. I'm hopeful that close attention to fit during assemby along with a reasonable power system (550 brushed on 2s) will let it live a long life, but I'd rather use the updated parts if eventual failure is inevitable... an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, right?
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 07:02 AM   #38
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
How are you guys getting the updated trans housing/skid? My son is about 1/2 way through building his kit (under close supervision) and I noticed that it has the original style parts. Seeing how buried in the car these parts will be, it would be nice to just go straight to the updated parts (paint & electronics won't be here for a week or so, so a little downtime now won't be the end of the world if it'll save some trailside headaches later.)

I did end up mating the top/bottom halves together for him and it took significant effort to get everything aligned, but it made a very positive "click" and everything seemed to fit together very nicely with no gaps. I'm hopeful that close attention to fit during assemby along with a reasonable power system (550 brushed on 2s) will let it live a long life, but I'd rather use the updated parts if eventual failure is inevitable... an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, right?
550 brushed on 2S should be fine if it's around 21T or higher IMO. You can try using nuts and longer screws to make sure the clamp doesn't loosen.

Anyway contact them by email. It may take some persistence though, since sometimes their e-mail is over their quota.
Old 12-30-2018, 11:16 AM   #39
Quarry Creeper

As soze has said, it may take a few attempts, but they do reply and deliver: contact@gmade.net
Old 01-12-2019, 01:35 AM   #40
RCC Addict

So my son buttoned up his BOM yesterday (looks great with Tamiya PS49, Spaz chrome for window trim, and no decals) and sure as $4!+, the trans started clicking after maybe 5 minutes of mild use in our backyard rock pile. Hopefully the new style housing is the permanent fix, and hopefully Gmade responds soon!
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote

GMADE BOM Gearbox problems - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
bilinvic's Gmade GS02 BOM bilinvic G-Made Crawlers 152 01-02-2022 05:32 PM
Now In Stock the NEW Gmade Korea GS02 BOM 1/10 4WD Ultimate Trail Truck Kit! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 08-24-2018 02:49 PM
Pre-Order Now The NEW Gmade Korea GS02 BOM 1/10 4WD Ultimate Trail Truck Kit! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 07-31-2018 12:54 PM
Gearbox problems.... CTPATRIOT Axial AX10 2nd-gen 6 11-09-2012 06:40 PM