Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > G-Made Crawlers

Notices

Thread: SavageAsFlux's GOM Plus Ultra4 life build - #SavageGOM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2020, 10:04 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default SavageAsFlux's GOM Plus Ultra4 life build - #SavageGOM

So Ive been wanting something different from all the Bombers/Wraiths out there that myself and everybody has, and since having seen this truck in person many times racing at Nor Cal Rock Racing (Nor Cal Rock Racing – Exciting Rock Racing Action in Northern California) kicking ass, 4400 Ultra4 class #44 Gary Ferravanti Sr.'s Ultra4 rock buggy, I was inspired to build an Ultra4 RC truck kinda like it,

Some of my videos with him taking the wins and dominating

obviously the real life truck is an IFS truck, but it still looks cool and I want the solid axle look. So thus where the Gmade GOM GR01 Rock Buggy jumps out as the perfect truck for the job.

Since I had a lot of free time during shelter in place I picked up a Plus Kit as an unfinished project with few other goodies someone didn't want anymore.

So I got it all built/greased/oiled/tuned up good how I want with what was with it, basically all stock and low end electronics, but not for long because that not how I roll, so then I added/created a few free upgrades I had laying around for things that seemed lacking on the kit. Why it comes with glue on wheels, dont get me started.

Upgrades:
-Aluminum tube w/ all thread custom upper link
-Flange wheel nuts, 2.2 D-hole beadlocks
-Pitbull Rock Beast 2 tires and Dos Piezas foams
-Led lights with Axial simple controller
-Scale figure with 5 point harness.
-Voodoo U4 spare tire on Gmade Plus kit wheel (unglued)

Also made some flat body panels from styrene and got them painted up somewhat like the ultra 4 truck. Sticker it all up good like I wish I was sponsored, and there we have my new 2020 truck the SavageGOM!!!! What a bear!!!

And a First test teaser video I made on the 4th of July with some fireworks we saw.

Any recommendations, requests or upgrades are welcome!!

This will be a timeline thread of this truck for me which I haven't followed through before but thought would be fun to start to document all the upgrades I will be doing, as all my vehicles are heavily upgraded and customized. Stick along, and enjoy the fun with me and all the progress of upgrading this great looking truck!!! Many posts and videos to come. Subscribe to my youtube for evern more fun.... Youtube.com/savageasflux

Last edited by savageasflux; 10-30-2020 at 02:09 AM. Reason: pic resizing and corrections
savageasflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2020, 01:09 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: SavageAsFlux's GOM Plus Ultra4 life build - #SavageGOM

Was able to get it out on the backyard course for some initial testing of its functionality, like 2 speed and dig endpoint settings and shock tuning. Didnt wanna get into the rocks much yet and scratch up the axles as I bought some new axles to put under it that I wanna spend some time and rebuild soon. Thinking of putting in different motor I have laying around, like a Crawlmaster 550 10T or maybe brushless with a Mamba X 2850. So much to do on it and never enough time.

First real video of the truck in light weight action.
Old 07-16-2020, 02:34 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Looks good man! I went after the 1:1 look with mine as well.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 03:41 PM   #4

That's a pretty rad rig right there! Awesome work! Might get some inspiration on your scheme paint if I buy one of this GOM in a near future
aRvO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 02:21 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Just some upcoming goodies I have been working on....
Lots of upgrades to come....

Old 07-27-2020, 02:29 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Some new progress updates, as I got the new axles built up and installed (not sure if anybody wants pictures of that, I did take a lot, and may put up a video of them eventually) and was able to get in the backyard for some tests on my obstacles finally with the fully upgraded axles. Still working on making the video but have some poser install shots.

Last edited by savageasflux; 07-27-2020 at 02:34 AM.
Old 07-27-2020, 02:31 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Install finished shots

Backyard course test video to come, stay tuned.....
Old 08-06-2020, 02:13 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Default NEW VIDEO with the new axles

Finally got the truck in the backyard to get those beautiful fully upgraded axles all scratched up for the first time. Got some cool footage testing it out on my standard test run at SavageAsFlux RC Off Road Park, aka my backyard crawler course , and having my first crash and major scratches, which was off the top of the 33" tires in the video, but thats ok its gonna get very scratched up with all the fun ill have with it

It was great fun, but I'm not a fan of this motor so I'm definitely gonna change it out to a Holmes 5 slot.

Watch the fun below,
https://youtu.be/3HmJXGADpdc

Old 08-10-2020, 02:44 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Default New upgrades from RPPHobby came in the mail

Minor updates this week.

Took it with me camping with me for a quick get away and had some time to get some footage on camera, but havent had time to put anything together quite yet, but in the mean time I wasnt happy with the motor in it so I got it somewhat taken apart and decided on putting in the Holmes Crawlmaster 550 Pro 10-Turn motor. I didnt wanna have to remove the Hobbywing 1080 and re-do all the wiring quite yet to do a Mamba X brushless system I still may do down the road, however I think this Crawlmaster Pro 550 10T is my new favorite motor, so smooth....... and have so many Crawlmasters ....

And I had been waiting for some parts to come in stock at RPP Hobby so I could place a big order, and they always come through with a bounty for me, so I got plenty and then lots of non-GOM goodies too not pictured, along with some others from other sources. A lot of these may take awhile to install so I might not get to them right away but eventually..

-Skid, sway bar, shock spring, panhard upper link, rear shock link, spare steering link (for rear steer if iw ant to do it), 113mm secondary shocks, shift fork, spare brass steering bushings, whachalit.
-All the hardended gears they make for the transmission and transfer case (wish I could get an aluminum transfer case shift fork......), and a crap ton of RPP stickers.....

Last edited by savageasflux; 08-12-2020 at 02:05 PM.
Old 08-18-2020, 01:59 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

New video with more backyard footage, including my Cable Hill, some rocky stairs and more rock bouncing fun fun fun. This is still pre-crawlmaster stuff, and I still have to put together some other camping footage.

Old 08-31-2020, 01:51 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Default Camping Video!

Update:

New Video from camping, the GOM having a blast around the rocks at camp and little bit of creek action.

Still working on getting all my upgrades installed and hope to get her out again soon! Hope somebody enjoyed (maybe a like or subscribe too) the video, another video to come of my 6x6 SCX10 at the same camp spot with the guy who provides most of my video music Yessir Yessum driving my Purp6x6.
Old 10-27-2020, 02:29 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Havent posted anything new here for like 2 months, but I have been using and enjoying the GOM even though ive been out of it little bit after a mountain biking crash at Woodward Tahoe bike park (didnt get crash on video, was on the 3rd run of the day, but have other video of that day and riding with no chain after the crash... if you wanna see a run with no chain on a black diamond run see this link https://youtu.be/f_x3dJP4XAg).

Back on track, I got some of the new parts installed on the GOM like the secondary shocks, upper panhard mount, sway bar, shock support link, and skid plates.

Heres some more recent pics:

and a video of the GOM from that camp/ RC crawling trip.

And also some pics when I was mountain biking at Rockville Hills Regional Park, and took the GOM out after riding 15 miles all day. This has most the upgrades installed and I wanted to try out these Voodoo U4 that i just upgraded with CI dual foams on her as well.

I rode like this carrying the GOM about a half mile to the big slab climbs in the background, ill post a video after I go through the footage.

Last edited by savageasflux; 10-27-2020 at 05:42 PM. Reason: sp
Old 11-02-2020, 01:45 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Took a trip up Mt Diablo into Rock City and did some crawling with some friends and we had a lot of fun crawling up the Hwy 1 climb in the park.

Heres a 3rd person view of the climb in the GOM. It did really well for how heavy it is, it didn't tumble down 30ft like my Wraith did earlier in the day.

https://youtu.be/0DaRQILLVIo

Last edited by savageasflux; 11-02-2020 at 07:37 PM.
Old 11-27-2020, 12:03 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Default New Video alert

Put up a new video with some other footage from my trip to Rock City Mt Diablo, have my Gmade GOM and 2 friends and their Bombers. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMgKV448Kfs

Old 12-25-2020, 05:20 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Default Merry GOMistmas

Merry GOMistmas

I mean Merry Christmas from my GOM to you with this fun in the snow pic a friend took of me while we out having fun in the snow. Only ended up breaking a CVD pin after like 20 minutes.

Old 01-12-2021, 01:01 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Default Latest Snow action video

Some of the recent GOM adventures in the snowy creeks near camp, not a lot of update just some fun and a broken CV Pin eventually, not on video. Got the CVA2's on order.....

https://youtu.be/YdZETl7bxSU

Old 07-31-2021, 03:16 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Havent posted around here for a while, but got out with the GOM during some camping in the mountains and had some fun with it, some sweet creek fun action, check it out.

Old 07-31-2021, 09:32 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

I didn't sknw you live nearby! I live on the other side of Rockville hills park
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 02:19 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gula View Post
I didn't sknw you live nearby! I live on the other side of Rockville hills park
Nice, I love Rockville Hills, so many fun rocks around there. I didn't get much good footage from the GOM when I was there so I didn't make a video, as I only crawled around that slab area, didn't make it over to rock garden with the GOM as I wanted to, was too far to ride with it that day after riding 15 miles.

I gotta get out there again and ride some MTB as I just got my bike fixed. Do you ever ride mountain bikes out there or go RC crawlin there?
Old 07-31-2021, 05:44 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Rc crawling/scaling. I used to MTB up there, when I owned one. PM me if you want to exchange info and maybe meet up.
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote

SavageAsFlux's GOM Plus Ultra4 life build - #SavageGOM - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HumboldtEF's Gmade Gom Build HumboldtEF G-Made Crawlers 59 09-13-2018 05:20 PM
Bishop's RC Gmade GOM ULTRA4-truck Pisepise G-Made Crawlers 18 06-13-2018 11:33 PM
Prozak's Bitcoin GOM build prozak G-Made Crawlers 21 03-27-2018 06:14 PM
Gmade gom build motor died bradendavis4 Newbie General 6 01-16-2018 12:34 AM