Duratrax competition orange
Duratrax metallic black
Duratrax basic black

Upgrades:
Steel balls
SSD silver 5-slot steel wheels
SSD scale hubs

Mods:
new2rocks spread (rear lower link mount relocation)
Velcro front body mount

It starts with this:

And happens here:

Last edited by 2mtech; 09-30-2018 at 05:58 PM.
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2018, 08:30 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: 2mtech's La BOMba

Starts out with diffs. Instructions are clear and simple to follow, hardware for each step is listed with 1:1 illustrations so you don't screw too long.

Axles were very non-RC3WD (they fit together well). As others have mentioned, rotation was a bit "crunchy", as in not smooth & silent. 50 revolutions with a hex driver as a lever smoothed them out considerably.

On to the tranny. Contrasting the axles, rotation of the transmission was glossy smooth and whisper quiet. Note that the printed manual omits grease application indicators on the gears, as in other places (steps 15, 25, 36, 37 and 38 ). Use grease.

Again as others have done, I skipped from step 19 to step 25 and assembled both halves of the transmission to avoid having greased gears lying around while I built links. This will require opening the next parts bag.

Assembly of the two halves was slightly problematic and took a bit of effort to snap together, particularly under the "clamps".

Now to post some links. I appreciate that the similarly sized rear links had notches on two to easily distinguish them.

First full build I've done since I got the Tekno multi tool...will never build without one again!
Old 09-28-2018, 08:50 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Next up: Battery box and servo mount.

Because of clearance I used the supplied servo horn.

Frame assembly next. As typical, installed everything to one side and then installed the other side. Little bit of a balancing act as some parts are not actually mounted to the frame yet but need to be in place...

Fun fact: Some of this part I did by lantern and headlight as
Hurricane Florence had knocked out the electricity!

Old 09-28-2018, 09:21 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Link installation next.

I was in rare build form here, boy...managed to install them wrong three times. DOH!

Then time to mount the motor. Kind of a unique (to me at least) way of mounting a motor where pinion mesh is pre-set depending on its number of teeth. Every pair of holes in the mount is marked for a corresponding pinion tooth count. I used the supplied 12t pinion, and surprisingly the mesh was pretty darn close to where I would have set it anyway if on a normal eccentric.

Spur cover was a tight fit...nothing getting in there!

Then my all time favorite part ...shocks. These went every bit as well as every other set of shocks I've done, so not stellar. Ignore the redneck engineered shock stand, it works.

Pro tip: Install the lower rod ends (steps 34 & 35) before trying to bleed (step 33).

I emailed Gmade that they had screwed up the kit because two of the shocks were WAY shorter than the others. They never answered... . The shorter ones are because cantilever but it messes with the senses at first!

Tekno tool FTMFW!

Driveshaft time:

Last edited by 2mtech; 09-29-2018 at 09:14 AM.
Old 09-28-2018, 09:46 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Step 39 is where the wider link spread suggested by new2rocks takes place. It outboards the lower links as well as the cantilever mount struts. I added 8mm spacers in the now open space between flanges to add rigidity.

Then in goes the front axle with all associated connections...

Then on to electronics. Almost functional!!

Top of the transmission had a convenient flat spot to mount the power switch for the ESC.

Mounting of the rx was different...attached to the lid instead of the bottom of the receiver box. After thinking about it, it made sense for drainage, although the box is o-ringed and appears to be pretty tightly sealed.

Then...hweels and tahrs! Stock meats didn't impress me at first, but after scrubbing the mold release off they were stickier than I expected so I decided to try them. I mean, it would look silly if every rig I have had Hyrax tires on them, right?

Almost there now!
Old 09-28-2018, 09:56 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I just ordered the same wheels for mine. Prefect match for the body imo!
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 10:06 PM   #7
RCC Addict

As usual, I had a paint layout visualized that sort of materialized. It came out...well, pretty good. But it was obviously missing...something.

Fast forward a bunch. Pretty much finished now. After striping it I almost pulled the decals back off the sides, but I let it sit a couple days and kept looking at it. Finally decided they could stay. My Bomber is the only rig I have that has graphics on it so I figured what the heck.

Really digging on these SSD vintage wheels!

Just have to make the front velcro body mount, repaint the gaffed fuel cell and install it, and mount the spare and it'll be ready for all the fun events coming up next month!!
Old 09-28-2018, 11:31 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Man, yours came out great! I'm still at building shocks, which I plan on doing tonight. I also plan to stripe mine... but plan to do it differently from how you did yours. Nevertheless, it came out looking fantastic.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 12:04 AM   #9

Great looking truck! The more I see them the more I want one.

So were 2 of your shocks the incorrect length or were they short because of the cantilever suspension on the rear?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 01:34 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post

So were 2 of your shocks the incorrect length or were they short because of the cantilever suspension on the rear?
I think it was just sarcasm. But yes, two of the shocks are shorter for the cantilever. I still haven't decided if I'm going to stick with the cantilever setup yet, but I'll be trying it out first.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 08:20 AM   #11

Looking pretty sweet! I was initially not too enamored by the BOM's looks, but it has sort of grown on me. Which is worrying because I must NOT buy it, I barely drive the Komodo and GOM as it is!
tvih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 09:24 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
I just ordered the same wheels for mine. Prefect match for the body imo!
I agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
Man, yours came out great! I'm still at building shocks, which I plan on doing tonight. I also plan to stripe mine... but plan to do it differently from how you did yours. Nevertheless, it came out looking fantastic.
Thanks, buddy! You've got the step-by-step well covered on YouTube.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Thanks! Doooo it!

Quote:
They're short because of the cantilever...it just feels weird when you get them built.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teng View Post
Congratulations on you new Orange toy
Thank you, my eastern friend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
I think it was just sarcasm. But yes, two of the shocks are shorter for the cantilever. I still haven't decided if I'm going to stick with the cantilever setup yet, but I'll be trying it out first.
I noticed there are no instructions for alternate shock mounting...it would be like installing aftermarket parts by instinct. How's about figuring that out and documenting in your build series?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvih View Post
Looking pretty sweet! I was initially not too enamored by the BOM's looks, but it has sort of grown on me. Which is worrying because I must NOT buy it, I barely drive the Komodo and GOM as it is!
Thanks! I was just telling the GF last night I'm going to have a problem deciding which rig to take trailing every time now that there are too many capable ones to choose from!
Old 09-29-2018, 10:45 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Really digging the wheels and the color scheme . I had a similar idea for paint on mine, orange seems to be a popular choice. Any plans for dressing up the cage with accessories or lights?
TrailDawg362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 11:10 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Great job on the body....I have to say, I'm pretty impressed with my BOM's performance.
bilinvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 11:18 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailDawg362 View Post
Really digging the wheels and the color scheme . I had a similar idea for paint on mine, orange seems to be a popular choice. Any plans for dressing up the cage with accessories or lights?
Thanks! Yep, definitely plan on adding top lights on the cage (there's mount points) and one or two other goodies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilinvic View Post
Great job on the body....I have to say, I'm pretty impressed with my BOM's performance.
Thanks! It did well running around the house naked, looking forward to getting it out in the wild!
Old 09-29-2018, 01:00 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Nice build!! I like orange for my trucks as they can been seen easily if they disappear into the brush I am struggling to not scratch the itch seeing these BOM builds. Must not buy (yet)......
M1tch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 02:49 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1tch View Post
Nice build!! I like orange for my trucks as they can been seen easily if they disappear into the brush I am struggling to not scratch the itch seeing these BOM builds. Must not buy (yet)......

Do IT!! BUY ONE NOW!!!
Old n ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 02:59 PM   #18
RCC Addict

No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Stop it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
M1tch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 04:38 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1tch View Post
Thanks! I realized much after the fact this truck looks much like my hard hat from when I was logging.

You must buy one! Your fellow countryman said so, and he has a really nice one so you must listen!
Old 09-30-2018, 06:23 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Finished my SOP body mount (only one this time) using a plastic rectangle drilled and shoo goo'd to the body posts, post ends trimmed down, topped with good old industrial strength Velcro. This addition had the bonus benefit of adding some much needed rigidity to the front shock hoops while still allowing sufficient battery space.

With the front thusly mounted, I wasn't real thrilled with the rear hinge posts staying floating per the manual, so I drilled them through and used the last two M3 x 10 round head screws from the hardware as mount screws.

Stuffed in the back-to-black fuel cell (long story) and added an MST donut spare. Might have to hit up SSD about spares. Or whaddya think, OSRC, two more guys run these we'll throw in on a set?

That'll about do it until it's been trailed a time or two. I'll likely put a light bar on it...I'm DONE with fiddly LEDs and light controllers that never work, or for very long. There are some native mount points on top of the cage behind the cab and in the front bumper begging for something...

Last edited by 2mtech; 09-30-2018 at 06:27 PM.

2mtech's La BOMba - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2mtech's SCX10ish Power Wagon 2mtech 1.9 Scale Rigs 66 08-21-2018 08:31 PM
2mtech's TF2 LWB LC70 build 2mtech RC4WD Trail Finder 2 20 09-19-2017 09:40 PM