Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > G-Made Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Disappointing Sawback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2018, 10:13 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Disappointing Sawback

I just finished putting together a Sawback kit, I can say I was a little disappointed with a few details of the kit. The shocks are only aluminum friction units, the Phillips hardware is so retro 80's and all plastic transmission gears. It just feels a bit cheesy. After doing what I feel are going to be the required upgrades I will not be that far from a RC4WD trail truck kit price. Now I don't hate the little jeep, was just surprised at the use of so many cost cutting parts,
sherbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2018, 11:14 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Disappointing Sawback

It's one of GMADE's older kits. They didn't switch to full time hex screws until the GOM I believe. Other than that... give it a chance. It's actually a fun little truck to drive.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 04:34 AM   #3
Yashua

My brother in law has a Sawback.
We trimmed the body a bit ,added 2.2s and Tekin 35 turn FXR combo and Hi-tech 7950 and it hasn't missed a lick in over a year.
CREEPERBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 07:26 AM   #4

Fair knock on the shocks, but the Phillips hardware works fine. If you want to change you can get a stainless steel, hex head screw set for $25, but it's not a necessity. For the shocks you can get good, inexpensive units from GMade or other brands. As far as the plastic gears are concerned I can tell you they are strong. My Sawbacks lived through years of brushless and brushed abuse (not just use) and they are still going strong. They are plastic gears, but they are strong, plastic gears. You are still way under the price of an RC4WD kit. And the Sawback will be more durable and perform a hell of a lot better than anything from RC4WD.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 08:39 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Well I feel a little better now. It is going to be used at a tame indoor course.
Old 11-27-2018, 08:14 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Fair knock on the shocks, but the Phillips hardware works fine. If you want to change you can get a stainless steel, hex head screw set for $25, but it's not a necessity. For the shocks you can get good, inexpensive units from GMade or other brands. As far as the plastic gears are concerned I can tell you they are strong. My Sawbacks lived through years of brushless and brushed abuse (not just use) and they are still going strong. They are plastic gears, but they are strong, plastic gears. You are still way under the price of an RC4WD kit. And the Sawback will be more durable and perform a hell of a lot better than anything from RC4WD.
Well Jato have worked a bit on the Sawback it still feels a bit cheesy but it will end up working well for the indoor course I had in mind for its use. I know RC4WD is more $$ but I do love my RC4WD trail trucks.
Old 11-28-2018, 06:28 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherbs View Post
Well Jato have worked a bit on the Sawback it still feels a bit cheesy but it will end up working well for the indoor course I had in mind for its use. I know RC4WD is more $$ but I do love my RC4WD trail trucks.
I'm not sure what you mean by it "feels a bit cheesy." The Sawback is a very reliable truck. In my experience it's more reliable than my Axial and RC4WD vehicles. The only issue I ever experienced with my Sawback was bent leaf springs and that was mostly because of my driving. I put on anti-wrap links, changed my driving style a little and the truck hasn't severely bent a leaf spring since.
Old 11-28-2018, 08:44 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean by it "feels a bit cheesy." The Sawback is a very reliable truck. In my experience it's more reliable than my Axial and RC4WD vehicles. The only issue I ever experienced with my Sawback was bent leaf springs and that was mostly because of my driving. I put on anti-wrap links, changed my driving style a little and the truck hasn't severely bent a leaf spring since.
OK, you made me say it, The Erector Set look an feel of the frame.
Old 11-28-2018, 09:06 AM   #9

Quote:
Maybe the chrome is making you think that, but it's no worse than any of the other brands like Axial, Vaterra, etc.
Old 11-28-2018, 09:50 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
If it's just the chrome plating that is bothering you, I believe they did sell a black version of the frame rails.

EDIT: Here it is - GS01 Black Frame Set - JunFac

There's always the option of stripping it and repainting them too.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 12:18 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Maybe the chrome is making you think that, but it's no worse than any of the other brands like Axial, Vaterra, etc.
I know it is a perception thing, the finish, guess I am used to anodized or painted aluminum. I'm sure it does not effect the function. Time will tell how it holds up.
Old 12-01-2018, 08:03 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Quote:
I just finished putting together a Sawback kit, I can say I was a little disappointed with a few details of the kit. The shocks are only aluminum friction units, the Phillips hardware is so retro 80's and all plastic transmission gears. It just feels a bit cheesy. After doing what I feel are going to be the required upgrades I will not be that far from a RC4WD trail truck kit price. Now I don't hate the little jeep, was just surprised at the use of so many cost cutting parts,
Ditch the shocks all together, the leaf springs dont rebound or need them like coils, they are just for looks and limits the flex like crazy!

The plastic trans gears are actully stronger than the axial scx10 trans. And the closed pinion is kinda nice.

Philips bolts are cheap to replace, and not any worse than cheap hex hardware that likes to rust

One thing that dose suck on the sawback is the factory wheels are junk, and he body is a bit to wide and needs lots of trimming for bigger tires.
sawback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 08:07 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Also the sawback can pull allot more weight than a scx10, vetarra, or trx4...
sawback is offline   Reply With Quote

Disappointing Sawback - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Things to upgrade/watch out for Sawback 4LS & Sawback Sport soze G-Made Sawback 2 02-28-2017 12:46 AM
New Sawback PatrickE G-Made Sawback 8 06-16-2016 10:00 PM
Sawback vs. Sawback Sports scaled G-Made Sawback 6 04-01-2015 09:04 PM
Wild Willy On A Sawback [Sawback Solo Run] ifulg G-Made Sawback 1 12-24-2013 08:06 PM
Intellect 4600mah disappointing performance. vtt Electronics 1 10-19-2008 03:18 PM