Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > G-Made Crawlers

Notices

Thread: My Gmade shoks leak badly

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2019, 04:58 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default My Gmade shoks leak badly

Gmade shocks are almost universally suggested as an upgrade to stock shock of other manufacturers. I'm having a bad experience with them, they leak badly, much more of my old and abused scx10 shocks. In my Gs02 Ta pro I have stock SD shocks in front and a couple of piggyback rsd in the rear, with shock hoop setup.
Both kind are empty after less than a month. Is there a trick to reduce the leak of oil ?

In the last days I rebuilt the SD shocks (didn't change the o-ring) searching for some mounting errors, but they are so simple it is hard to make mistakes . Maybe the first time I put too much oil and tightened it too much (possibly deforming the o-rings) but the second time I was much more careful and they still leak.

At home I have some o-rings for Wraith shocks, is it worth to try them ?

Thanks
Filippo
setecastronomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2019, 05:10 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: My Gmade shoks leak badly

Are they leaking at the caps or on the shafts?
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 06:12 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Assuming they leak through the o-rings (at the shaft), easily fixed with Traxxas X-rings and a bit of Nolean grease. Nolean grease you can buy as a large cup or you can get the Associated Green Slime grease in a tiny container (this is what I have). This almost guaranteed will stop shock leaks. I have also used Associated red o-rings with great success on RC4WD shocks (King/RRD).
1SLWMoFo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 08:24 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
Are they leaking at the caps or on the shafts?

I noticed oil on the shaft and on the shock mount at the axle, so I assume they are leaking at the shafts, the caps were dry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SLWMoFo View Post
easily fixed with Traxxas X-rings
you can get the Associated Green Slime grease

I put the green slime since the first build. I will buy X-ring at the next chance, in the meantime do you suggest to try Axial Wraith o-ring or is it nonsense ?
Old 04-23-2019, 12:13 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by setecastronomy View Post
I put the green slime since the first build. I will buy X-ring at the next chance, in the meantime do you suggest to try Axial Wraith o-ring or is it nonsense ?
I myself haven’t tried Wraith o-rings, but is they are within specs of the Gmade o-rings (think it’s a 3.5mm shock shaft), you should be good to try them.
This is the Traxxas kit I’m talking about (just as a reference, not promoting this web store)...
https://www.amainhobbies.com/traxxas...ra8262/p668362
1SLWMoFo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 01:43 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Wraith o-rings have a slightly bigger diameter and above all they are thicker. It is not possible to use two of them.
Conversely Scx10 o-ring have too small diameter. Finally I decided to try one stock o-ring in the inside of the body and one Wraith o-ring toward the external.
Cannot say if it solves the leaking problem because I still have to test them.

Anyway I rebuilt another couple of shocks replacing the o-ring with spare ones and putting any care in the process: they leak badly as before

Bye
Filippo
Old 06-13-2019, 08:40 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

If leaking from either cap I find a bit of plumbers tape on the threads works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fishcharger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 06:15 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Also: Be careful not to over-fill the shocks with oil. If over-filled, the pressure of the -actually fluid locked- shocks will immediately damage/blow-out the o-rings in the cartridge.

A tiny bit of the shock piston coming back out of itself isn’t a problem, if the shock shaft fully extends after closing the topcap, it means that it’s close to being fluid-locked. Not good.

I use the g-made piggybacks on many cars, including heavy-pig monstertrucks, and have no problem with leakage. I do nòt, however, use that nasty brown shock-oil that came with them. I only use good quality silicone oil. Mostly Losi.
Jay-Em is offline   Reply With Quote

My Gmade shoks leak badly - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
shocks that don't leak. wyomingcrawler Axial Wraith 26 09-16-2014 07:11 AM
AXIAL shocks vs. LOSI 4'' shoks? cliffhanger007 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 18 09-01-2010 10:56 PM
CC shoks popping-off fabil Duratrax Cliff Climber 8 04-28-2010 02:37 PM
recomendations for shoks, tires, foams, escs, and a home made four link plate. andybenton Axial AX-10 Scorpion 3 06-24-2009 03:03 AM
My shocks leak Dollarhide Axial AX-10 Scorpion 13 07-20-2008 09:06 PM