Notices

Thread: New R1 build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2019, 09:48 AM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: New R1 build

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAMath View Post
New photobucket terms of service. It just effects free accounts. After 25mb of bandwidth per month, the photos are blurred. I noticed them last night but too late to start over. I might go through and edit adding direct photo links while I find another host. I heard imgur is good.

Soze: 45 degrees might be reachable. The first contact is a support on the backside of knuckle. I wonder if the metal knuckles have the same support. I also wonder if this can be sanded off. Might just have to try it.
Yeah the few threads I read in the sticky ground/filed away some contact points on the knuckle and the c-hub.
soze is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2019, 11:46 AM   #22
RCC Addict

Not a fan of imgur, it's mainly meant to be it's own social media like platform and host images for Reddit. I plan to just stick with Flickr until I maybe hit the 1k image cap one day.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 04:17 PM   #23

Ok. Side thought. I saw the SSD trail king sale and clicked on the assembly manual from RPP. Instead of being stacked like the R1, the gears of the transmission are stretched out (impressively scale). I wonder how close the transmission internals are to the size (shaft/gear diameter) to the R1. My plastic gear fears might be gone. Unless, of course, the SSD gears are plastic. Hopefully someone that is following this will let me know.
MrAMath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 05:43 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAMath View Post
Ok. Side thought. I saw the SSD trail king sale and clicked on the assembly manual from RPP. Instead of being stacked like the R1, the gears of the transmission are stretched out (impressively scale). I wonder how close the transmission internals are to the size (shaft/gear diameter) to the R1. My plastic gear fears might be gone. Unless, of course, the SSD gears are plastic. Hopefully someone that is following this will let me know.
I don't think they're plastic. I haven't opened mine yet though.
Old 09-11-2019, 12:57 PM   #25

Well, soze, when you do, please post some measurements of gear and shaft diameters.

I firmly believe that making RCs work is making them work for you. When I refigure out the post photos thing you'll see my Dig servo horn is the GPM version of the TRX4 shift/lock servo horns. The spring makes up for the misalignment time. I did have to put some thread lock on the outside of the Dig output bearing to try to hold it in place. A little screw like the Axial 1 piece rear, that holds the bearing in, would be great. I did use the Junfac dig unit.
Old 09-11-2019, 03:31 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneetches View Post
Not a fan of imgur, it's mainly meant to be it's own social media like platform and host images for Reddit. I plan to just stick with Flickr until I maybe hit the 1k image cap one day.
Flickr is a bit round-about to post photos but figured it out. Should be all clean and pretty now.
Old 09-11-2019, 03:37 PM   #27
RCC Addict

Ah I can see again, I was tired of standing 25 feet away from the monitor.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 01:19 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Any updates?
Old 10-16-2019, 11:51 AM   #29

Well I took it out for a crawl at a place I wanted to try out. Found a family with their Slashes kicking up dust so I hung out on the rocks. I'd post photos but the iOS13 update borked my backup and I lost about 5,000 photos. I was a little light on the trigger still fearing the lack of slipper clutch and plastic gears.

4WS is definitely something to practice. Having the rear steer alone did help me get around some stuff where front and rear together was too much. I found myself using the crab crawl more often. Like the front was holding the line and the rear was doing the guidance. I definitely want to look into the axle mounted batteries. I have tiny 1500 mAh that would mount perfect. The rig is a bit top heavy with the battery in the tray. Even a tiny 3s. The high clearance links seemed to invite catching on the center skid. Might have to try the originals. I think I'm going to rebuild the shocks so that the rig sits lower and longer.

I need to fiddle with the dig middle point some more. It doesn't always unlock when going to freewheel. Knowing when to dig and when to 4WS is critical to learn/experience.

I did velcro my FPV camera right on the front servo. I could actually see both front tires on my display. It drove around my apartment pretty good.

I'll try to get some more photos posted.

Tags
4ws, dig, dx5, gmade r1

New R1 build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
JackedDriver's R1 Build (non-specific purpose / just wanted a good build) JackedDriver G-Made Crawlers 12 01-12-2016 07:59 PM
scx10 G6 2.2 Wroncho/Wrangler Build (AKA The Sleeping On The Couch Build) Irishchamp 2.2 Scale Rigs 45 10-09-2014 10:26 PM
Jeep scaler build and comp micro crawler build droopmodmrc Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 1 12-25-2012 12:34 PM
~53 Willys 2010 Comp Rig Build~ RC4WD MOA Worminator Build~ 53 willys General Crawlers 108 11-28-2011 12:42 AM